5 Best Dog Foods with Taurine Reviews and Guide 2019
Dogs are considered family members by their owners, so their health is one of life’s priorities. It naturally does not make sense to have a pet yet not care about it. Because of this, people who have dogs should thoroughly check what is contained in the dog food that they prefer. An essential element that has been downplayed for a long time, but should be present there, is taurine.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
What Is Taurine?
The basic building blocks of protein include 22 amino acids. They are fundamental requirements to ensure that the body functions properly. Majority of the amino acids can actually be naturally internally manufactured by animals in their livers. The rest have to be taken in through one’s diet for humans and animals alike. Taurine is an amino acid that is required by people as well as animals, especially cats and dogs. This element does not have an active action in the development of proteins. However, it can be found in significant amounts in the eyes, brain, heart and the rest of the body’s muscles. In fact, a lot of power supplements for bodybuilders include taurine as one of their essential ingredients.
Cats and humans can obtain taurine only from their diet. For dogs though, taurine can be processed and synthesized internally. It is derived from the function of two sulfur amino acids named cysteine and methionine.
What Are The Benefits Of Taurine On Dogs?
This amino acid has some critical functions in the body, humans and animals alike. It helps with the development of the neurological system. It also supports the function of the eyes as well as the central nervous system. The body’s immune system also benefits in the regulating factor of this amino acid.
Also, taurine is essential for the digestion and metabolism processes. It has anti-oxidant properties, which is valuable for the body’s metabolism process. It is a primary player in the formation of bile salt, a component required in fat and vitamin absorption in the small intestines. Taurine also functions as a regulator of mineral and water content in the blood.
What Is The Impact of Taurine Deficiency In Dogs?
Some conditions have been observed among the canine population as a negative impact of taurine’s absence or insufficiency. One of which is dilated cardiomyopathy, which is a disease affecting the heart muscle of a dog. It results in the weakening of the heart muscles contractions and lessened ability in pumping. The heart chambers may enlarge as the valves leak, and congestive heart failure starts if no action is taken.
Blindness can also be a function of taurine deficiency. This amino acid also lessens the seizures related to epilepsy as it impacts the release of neurotransmitters in the brain. Cystinuria, a urinary tract disease in canines, results in an excess amount of cysteine in the body. Since cysteine is required for taurine synthesis, cystinuria affects the taurine level and cause the same diseases as well.
Why Taurine Becomes Insufficient
The typical reason why taurine level becomes insufficient is the deficiency of either or both amino acids required for its production. Cysteine is derived from high-protein foods such as meat, dairy and certain vegetables like lentils. Methionine, on the other hand, is present in certain meats like beef, lamb, and pork. It’s also present in eggs as well as dairy and fish. The absence of these food items in the diet indirectly results in the taurine deficiency.
In addition to that, there are certain breeds of dogs that have been found to be inefficient in their ability to produce taurine for their own use. These include the cute and cuddly American Cocker Spaniel and Scottish Terrier as well as good-looking Golden Retrievers. The Doberman Pinscher and its other strong-looking relatives are not free from this condition, too.
Because of these two main reasons, it is highly recommended to include taurine in dog food. With that, there is no need for additional supplements to complete the pet’s dietary requirement. More so, there is no need to worry about the ill effects of this amino acid’s deficiency.
What Are The Best Sources Of Taurine?
For those who prefer alternatives to dog food, it helps to be aware of the right sources of taurine through the animals’ diet. Generally, this amino acid is present in foods with high levels of fiber and protein. Muscle meat is an excellent source of taurine, which is why it is one of the main components of commercial pet food. A right amount of taurine can be obtained from seafood. Fish, such as sardines, mackerel, and salmon, can have 36mg of taurine for every ounce of meat on average. Shrimps, on the other hand, yields much more at 48mg per ounce.
The meat of other animals has been proven to be a superb source of taurine. Beef, chicken, and lamb provide 20 to 48 milligrams of taurine for every 100 grams of meat. Generally, it is the heart and other internal organs that have a significantly higher content of this amino acid. More so, darker meats have a higher content of taurine than their lighter-colored counterparts.
Plants are not very useful as a source of taurine though. However, there is still a contribution from vegetables with high protein content. These include beans, nuts, and peas to name a few. Such foods cannot be digested by dogs, but they can be included in their diet in another way.
It is also valuable to note that cooking affects the taurine content of food. This is because heat breaks down taurine. In fact, cooking causes the destruction of more than 50 percent of the taurine content in raw meat. Therefore, it is highly advocated by veterinarians to either feed the meat raw or cook it lightly.
Taurine Intake Specifications Some people also prefer to add some sources of taurine to their dogs’ diet aside from the dog food that already contains this element. In such cases, it is prescribed to administer 250mg for smaller, 500mg for medium and 750mg for larger dogs. It is also good to acknowledge the higher effectivity of taurine on an empty stomach than a full one.
It is one thing to know the value of taurine in a dog’s body and overall health. The responsibility of a dog-owner does not end there though. One should ensure that the pet’s diet incorporates this indispensable element whether in the form of dog food or its alternative.
We have reviewed the top rated dog foods contain taurine in 2019.
Features That Make Diamond Dry Food for Adult Dog Stand Out
- Contains highly nutritious, all-natural ingredients such as beef and rice formula
- Have small kibbles to aid in chewing
- It is made of high-quality protein from pasture-raised beef to give your dog strong lean muscles
- It has natural ingredients with added minerals and vitamins as well as vegetables and fruits. The fatty acid in it helps to make your dog’s skin and coat smooth
- It has rice formula to act as a source of carbohydrates which eases the process of digestion
Proc of Diamond Dry Food for Adult Dog
- Has high protein content to help in the development of lean muscles
- It is relatively cheap as compared to other dog foods in the market
- Can be fed to virtually all breeds
- Comes in small kibble sizes to ease chewing and digestion
- Comes in different flavors
Conc of Diamond Dry Food for Adult Dog
- Because of the high protein content, it can be too much for some dogs and cause stomach upsets. However, this is a rare complaint, but you have to understand that there will always be instances where a specific dog food will not suit your dog
Why We Recommend It
This product is liked by the customers and experts alike as it is safe and best for your dog thanks to its dense nutritional content. It fulfills the dietary needs of your dog. Besides, it comes in small kibbles sizes, and thus your dog will chew and digest it easily.
This is a comparatively cheaper dog food than most of the products in the market, which makes it more desirable.
Features That Make Nature’s Recipe Dry Food for Adult Dog Stand Out
- It has high-quality protein as lamb meal is the main protein source for this dog food. The lamb meal- rice recipe enables your dog to have lean muscle mass and energy
- It doesn’t have wheat or corn. This precious dog food is crafted with delicious rice to help support your dog active nature while leaving out corn and wheat
- It comes in small bite sizes to aid in chewing and digestion
- Barley added to this food helps keep your dog’s digestive system functioning optimally
Proc of Nature’s Recipe Dry Food for Adult Dog
- There are different formula variety. You can find different flavors to suit different dog needs. From adult chicken meal and rice to salmon sweet potato and pumpkin, you can find something that fits your dog size and condition
- It is loaded with all-natural meats. All the flavors of this dog’s food are loaded with animal proteins to help your dog develop lean muscles
- It is very affordable and high-quality as well
- This dog food has rice which acts as carbohydrates to give your dog energy. Barley is also added in this food to serve as a source of carbohydrate
Conc of Nature’s Recipe Dry Food for Adult Dog
- It is not good for dogs with sensitive stomachs as it can lead to gas accumulation or loose stool
Why We Recommend It
No matter the kind of food you are looking to feed your pooch, Nature’s Recipe has a food flavor that will suit them.
Overall, it is decent food that you can feed your dog, and it is safe and healthy. It might not be the best dog food on the market, but at least it is a great one. If you are on a tight budget, consider Nature’s Recipe Dry Food for Adult Dog.
Features That Make Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Stand Out
- This dog food comes in various sweet-smelling flavors that your dog will like
- The first ingredient is a deboned chicken which offers highly digestible protein and excellent taste that your furry friend craves
- On top of proteins, the food has wholesome brown rice, Oatmeal, and barley for energy provision and high-quality fiber
- Has L-Carnitine which supports the development of lean muscles
- Has omega 3 and 6 to improve the skin and coat
- This dog food has been enriched with garden vegetables such as carrots and berries which support the immune system of your dog
- The nutrients of this dry dog food are treated at low temperatures than other components to prevent degradation and increase lifespan
- This dog food has no meat by-products, artificial flavors or grain
Proc of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- Has small kibble to make it easier to swallow and digest
- Dogs will quickly get used to the taste of this dog food
- Has probiotics to support digestion
Conc of Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- Despite the various flavors provided, some dogs may not like the taste of the dog food
Why We Recommend It
Blue Buffalo is a reputable brand for its quality food for dogs. In fact, most other brands have benchmarked the standard of their food in an attempt to offer similar quality. What’s more, this best dog food 2019 has impressive energy content for dogs that require high levels of energy. Most customers have praised this dog food particularly with the small kibble which makes it easier to chew and swallow.
Features That Make Wellness Complete Natural Dry Dog Food for Small Breed Stand Out
- Has 3 protein sources including deboned turkey, Salmon, and Chicken. These offer high-quality protein for strong muscle growth
- Contains fruits and vegetables which offer antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for healthy growth. Vitamins are essential for healthy immunity.
- Has been made with flaxseeds and salmon oil for adequate amino acids which enhance the coat and skin
- Has probiotics to ensure the proper digestive health
- It contains premium ingredients with no preservatives, flavors or meat by-products to offer value
- The size of the kibble is suitable for digestion particularly for the small breed dogs
- It has been made for dogs with a sensitive stomach hence does not have grains
- Has been backed by wellness guarantee
- All nutrients have been sourced from the USA to ensure quality
Proc of Wellness Complete Natural Dry Dog Food for Small Breed
- Has plant-based antioxidants
- It’s relatively affordable
- Small kibble suits your small breed dog
- Promotes a healthy skin
Conc of Wellness Complete Natural Dry Dog Food for Small Breed
- Some customers reported that dog food caused allergy to their dog but most praised the dog food
- This dog food may be prone to molds if not preserved properly
Why We Recommend It
Wellness complete Health dog food offers balanced nutrition from its tasty ingredients such as oatmeal and chicken.
Additionally, the smaller size of the kibble is suitable for small breed adult dogs. Note that this dog food contains no red flag ingredients like wheat, corn or soy and has no artificial additives like colors and flavors. The company is known to have a perfect balance of nutrients and offers a tasty recipe that your dog craves.
Features That Make Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Dog Food Stand Out
- This formula has been made with real duck as the primary ingredient followed by other real proteins such as roasted turkey and quail to ensure strong muscle growth
- It has a natural recipe with powerful antioxidants from real fruits and vegetables to support the immune system
- This grain-free recipe delivers highly-digestible sweet potatoes and peas for your active pooch
- This is one of the best dry dog food 2017 containing chicory root that offers prebiotics for enhanced digestion
- All essential minerals are chelated for easy absorption of the trace elements for the maximum benefit
- All ingredients are sourced from sustainable sources with no corn, wheat or other artificial fillers to make this recipe suitable for pups with sensitive stomachs
- The nutrient-rich and digestible formula comprises of K9 strain probiotic to further enhance the digestive health of your dog
- Most of the ingredients are sourced in the USA for food safety with further screening done to ensure no form of contaminants in the formula
Proc of Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Dog Food
- Offers different flavors that your dog will like
- Has high energy content
- Grain-free to prevent stomach sensitivities
Conc of Taste of the Wild Grain-Free Dog Food
- The dog food contains tomato pomace which is considered a filler ingredient
Why We Recommend It
Taste of the wild remains a trusted choice of dog food among most dog owners for truly managing to mimic the natural diet of a dog in the wild. This dog food offers excellent nutritional value with a few customers reporting improved health after their dog consumed this dog food.
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Best Puppy Foods for Large Breed Review and Guide
- 10 Best Puppy Foods for Small Breed Review and Guide
- 8 Best Dog Doors Reviews and Buying Guide
- 10 Best Wet Dog Foods Review and Guide
- 10 Best Dry Dog Foods Review and Guide
- 6 Best Dog Boots Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- 10 Best Dog Probiotics Reviews and Guide
- 3 Best Dog DNA Test Kits Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- 10 Best Dog Probiotics Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Dog Nail Clippers Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)