10 Best Dog Training Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide 2019
A majority of successful dog trainers appreciate the need of investing in an excellent remote dog training collar. Dog training collars play an essential role when you need to train your dog good behavior and to obey your commands.
If you’re looking for a quality remote trainer, it’s a wise thing to know why you need the device because they serve different purposes. This will help you distinguish between simple trainers from the ones built for the avid hunting dogs.
It is why we have solved the entire problem for you by bringing you a list of the best dog collars for your dog in 2019. Our list is based on consumer reviews and experts’ recommendations. But before then, let’s enlighten you by discussing how to buy the best training dog collars on the market.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
What is a Dog Training Collar?
The concept of a dog training collar is simple – it enhances the communication with your pooch from afar via remote control. It uses a shock or vibration stimulation to strengthen basic obedience commands and curb bad behavior. The shock collar is usually wrapped around a dog’s neck for easy training. Training collars for dogs come with different features to improve the efficiency at training behaviors such as chasing, digging, and barking to mention a few.
Uses of Dog Collars
The purpose of dog collars is a bit confusing perhaps due to the many names people call them such as e-collars, shock collars, remote trainers and so on. And even though they all mean the same, there is a huge range of uses in the electric devices. So, let’s discover.
What are they used for?
Dogs like to wander off, but this can be annoying to neighbors. Some dogs may chase other people and even cars. As a result, there’s need to keep your dog within your property. By getting an excellent remote trainer, you just want to restrict your dog from wandering off and getting hurt or hurting others. An invisible fence is an effective way to fix this by warning your dog when he tries to go past the set boundary. The good thing is that your dog will learn very fast that leaving past the line results in a shock.
An excellent dog collar sends a warning when a dog barks and proceeds to a slight shock when barking persists. Some dogs like to bark, and sometimes it’s just with the breed. The dog collar works like an anti-barking device.
To Curb Lousy Behavior
Do you want to correct bad behavior with your dog such as pulling or digging, a dog collar can be effective? It helps administer consistent correction, and this will force them to stop due to the negative effect.
A dog collar keeps your dog safe from people, other animals, pets and rotten foods. On the other hand, it can save other animals like chicken and kittens.
How do Dog Collars work?
Whether referred to as e-collars, remote training collars or shock collars, they all have a primary function; to allow your dog to experience the most basic type of learning. This involves administering a positive punishment using the shock collar for the behavior you wish to limit.
How can punishment be considered positive? Well, the “positive” part here refers to the application and not taking something away from your pooch. It’s more similar to when a child behaves in a bad way and when the mother yells at the child, the behavior stops.
Let’s get to how the dog collar works. It comprises of 2 electrodes which are designed to be in contact with the skin. This help transmits the light jolts to the dog when you want to teach them a lesson. This may sound a little harsh but if done properly, it won’t harm your dog but will offer great result for you and your pet’s life. The remote is your control as it allows you to set the dog collar based on its intensity and duration of the shock.
As mentioned earlier, your dog will easily adjust to training and start behaving well. It’s true that your dog might experience some stress in the beginning, but it will save his life. After a while, the dog will become self-disciplined and may no longer need the collar.
Is it safe to use a dog collar?
Yes, electronic dog collars are 100% safe to use for training dogs. In fact, these devices are highly recommended by pets and specialists alike. For the most part, the stimulation that your dog gets is similar to the static shock we humans experience when we feel when brushing our feet along a carpet and then touch something made of metal. In reality, the sensation is not any harmful only that it feels unpleasant. Besides, the tapping mode feature is a common feature in some collars which delivers a mild shock to your pet.
What to look for when buying a dog collar
This is an important feature to consider as different dog training collars offer different intensity settings. You really don’t know how your dog would react to shock stimulation that a collar provides. For small dogs, the lowest intensity shock is enough but some dogs may need continuous stimulation, or momentary stimulation may be required. Collars with continuous stimulation come with a button that when pressed and held down, results in a shock that lasts for up to 5 seconds at a time. On the other hand, collars with momentary stimulation deliver a brief shock to the dog when pressed.
Just like any other product, it’s important to look for a dog collar that can lose long and is durable. You don’t need a product that can break easily or develops malfunctions every time. You may look for waterproof dog training collars especially for a dog that loves being outdoors, e.g., for hunting. Even though some of these collars come expensive, they are worth the value they offer.
As a responsible dog owner, you need to choose a dog collar that won’t harm your furry friend but will help curb bad behavior. Look for a modern dog collar as they offer different modes of training such as tone, vibration, and pulse. These provide multiple adjustable stimulation levels and hence have a lower risk of accidental overstimulation.
Size and Temperament of Your Dog
It’s crucial to look for a dog collar that can fit your dog properly to enhance training. Ensure that the collar has an adjustable strap and choose one that’s suitable for your dog size. Keep in mind that stubborn dogs may need more stimulation but with moderation. It’s advisable that you read the manual to know how the stimulus works.
Range of Effectiveness
This is a crucial feature if your dog likes to roam. In most cases, a collar with a half mile range is enough, but you can always choose one that fits your needs. Ensure that you don’t choose one with a short range.
Two distinct types of dog collars
Bark Control Collars
These are specially built to curb unnecessary barking in dogs. These administer a shock when the dog barks but the difference is the way the dog collars get activated. Some collars respond to vibration while others have microphones that respond to the sound of your dog barking. The latter is more expensive but more accurate than the former.
Need to train your dog how to do certain things? These are ideal. They come with a remote control that you press to offer training or curb behavior that your dog is expressing.
3 Major Benefits of training collars for dogs
Some pet owners feel that remote trainers should not be used on dogs, but in fact, these devices have a range of advantages that outweigh the disadvantages. We have outlined the benefits they could offer to you.
Stop Excessive Barking
some dogs will just bark at pretty much everything. Some will bark all night long which can leave you extremely irritated. If this sounds like you, a shock collar would be a handy item to eliminate the unnecessary barking at your home and restore peace.
Curb Bad Behavior
if your dog has been misbehaving lately, you don’t have to spend too much money of a professional behaviorist to help in training your dog. A dog collar is all you need to train your dog yourself.
Keeps Your Dog on Your Property
it’s common for some dogs to wander all around the neighborhood or the entire town. This can easily annoy people who can be dangerous for you and your dog. The last thing you don’t want to hear is your dog hurting a child or another pet. You never want to hear that your dog was hit by a car. All you need is a good dog collar to restrict your dog within your property and be at peace.
Note: If used inappropriately, a dog collar can cause fear and even aggression in some cases.
Having read our tips on choosing a dog collar, here is our presentation of the top 10 best dog training collars 2019.
Features That Make SportDog Brand 425 Remote Trainer Stand Out
- Looking for a remote sensor for a dog as small as 15 lbs.? Here’s one.
- The dog collar is light and comfortable to wear around most dogs’ necks
- This best dog collar for small dogs is that batteries feature a 2-hour quick charge and can offer a charge for up to 70 hours
- For training, you can choose vibration (buzz) or beep with the multiple levels of static stimulation either by a “nick” or a “continuous” stimulation
- The E-collar has a 3 dog capacity and boasts seven instantly selectable stimulation to control the amount your dog receives gradually
- This e-collar is suitable for dogs with 8 pounds or larger and a neck size of 5 inches to 22 inches
- The SportDog 425 is excellent for outdoor dogs because it’s waterproof for up to 24 ft. underwater and boosts 500-yard range
- The remote boasts an LCD screen that shows the amount of stimulation and the battery life
Proc of SportDog Brand 425 Remote Trainer
- Has multiple levels of stimulation
- Offers more control as you can choose whether to use sound or shock
- Expandable up to 3 dogs and boasts a 500-yard range
Conc of SportDog Brand 425 Remote Trainer
- It’s only suitable for dogs with 10 pounds and up
Why We Recommend It
Whether your dog responds best to sound or shock this collar helps in training your dog and curbing bad behaviors. The color is waterproof with an internal battery and a fair range of 500 yards, making great for outdoor dogs.
Features That Make JIAHONG Dog Training Collar Stand Out
- This is an effective electronic collar to curb unnecessary barking, walking, pee, aggression and other unnecessary bad behaviors
- This is a no hurt dog training collar that passes the warning in a timely fashion offering a free remote range of up 1800 ft
- It features remote through wall design which enables you to easily train the dog at night or in the other room
- The receiver is 100% waterproof and works typically even when immersed in water to allow your dog to swim or bath freely even with the collar on
- The collar boasts 3 training modes with 0-100 levels of static stimulation so that you can choose a stimulation that works best for your dog
- The strap is adjustable to fit your dog’s neck making it a suitable dog collar for puppies
Proc of JIAHONG Dog Training Collar
- Has three training modes with many levels of stimulation
- It’s completely waterproof
- It is durable
Conc of JIAHONG Dog Training Collar
- The stimulation may be too much for small dogs
Why We Recommend It
This dog collar offers 3 modes of training with different levels of static stimulation to makes it easier to choose the one that works well for your dog. The remote has an impressive range of 1800 ft. for easier training.
Features That Make The Best Industries Dog Training Collar Stand Out
- This is a new advanced dog training collar that comes with a remote to assure control on longer distances
- This is a long-lasting dog e-collar that has an advanced design that’s waterproof and promises years of effective use
- It offers beep mode, shock mode and vibration mode with 100 levels of static stimulation to enhance control over your pet’s life.
- This dog training collar 2019 has four training modes with a long-lasting rechargeable lithium polymer batteries that charge for 2-3 hours and can last for up to 20 days
- In case this dog collar fails to work based on quality, the manufacturer offers a lifetime replacement guarantee
Proc of The Best Industries Dog Training Collar
- Provides multiple levels of stimulation
- Has a long lasting battery life
- Has a lifetime replacement guarantee
Conc of The Best Industries Dog Training Collar
- A customer reported that the product stopped working soon after purchase
Why We Recommend It
If you need a suitable dog collar for long training sessions, the device from the best industries comes with a long-lasting battery life that will suit your training needs. Besides, It offers various modes of training and different levels of stimulation for safe training.
Features That Make Educator Remote Dog Training Collar Stand Out
- This dog collar is suitable for one dog for ½ mile range
- It is ideal for small and large dogs ranging from 5 pounds and larger
- This can be used to train the dog in public as it comes with a “stopwatch” transmitter that’s suitable for people with small hands
- The e-collar comes with 100 stimulation levels and an extra 60 stimulus selection to give you more control over the amount of stimulation to use
- Produces a tapping sensation that’s more intense than a vibration to ensure stimulation
- This remote dog training collar has the fastest and most reliable wireless connection in this collar industry with a quick charging time of 2 hours
Proc of Educator Remote Dog Training Collar
- Has a mini transmitter that allows discrete use in public
- Can rapidly charge within 2 hours
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes
Conc of Educator Remote Dog Training Collar
- Can only be used on one dog at a time
Why We Recommend It
This dog collar is a wise pick for an outdoor lover as you can use the mini transmitter to train the dog in public. Better yet, the collar offers multiple selectable levels of stimulation with an additional boost of 60 levels of stimuli. The great news is that it produces an ordinary stimulation that won’t hurt your beloved in any way.
Features That Make Ticent Dog Training Collar Stand Out
- This is a resistant and durable dog collar that is suitable for training and improving your pet’s behavior easily
- Featuring an attractive model, this is the best dog training collar under 100 for first-time pet trainers who want to control barking, walking and leash training
- The remote training collar comprises of RF433Mhz Press and Act technology which offers a 330 yards range with a one key one function design for easy use
- This is an entirely waterproof shock collar that works well even when immersed in water and this works perfectly for dogs that swim
- It comes with 3 training modes and 100 levels of stimulation with a battery capacity display to help you correct your dog’s inappropriate behavior
- This e-collar is suitable or small, medium and large dogs with an adjustable strap to ensure it fits right on your dog’s neck
- It comes with a rechargeable battery and has an automatic protection mode that conserves energy when the device is not in use
Proc of Ticent Dog Training Collar
- Offers a range of up to 330 yards
- It is water resistant
- Has 100 levels of vibration
Conc of Ticent Dog Training Collar
- The vibration may be too intense for small dogs
Why We Recommend It
With this remote training dog collar you can easily curb bad behavior in your pet because it is easy to use and safe on your pet. The good thing is it works with dogs of all sizes from small to large dogs. You can train your dog from a pool or the beach as the receiver is waterproof.
Features That Make Dogtra Fieldmaster LCD Training Collar Stand Out
- With an impressive range of 500 yards, this is a fully waterproof collar that comes with a remote
- The remote collar comes with a sporting tone, vibration and shock setting with added low and medium ranges to control the amount of stimulation for your pet
- The collar is waterproof for up to 25 feet underwater which makes it possible to train your dog in a water area
- It has a rechargeable battery that takes 2 hours to recharge and can last up to 70 hours
- It’s worth to mention that the collar is highly resistant to water, dirt, heat and cold weather and will function perfectly at all time
- The illuminated LCD screen allows you to correct the setting levels and has a 3 bar battery life indicator which is visible even in low light
- This is a popular dog collar designed for use by aggressive dogs such as those by K-9 officers
Proc of Dogtra Fieldmaster LCD Training Collar
- Has 27 levels of stimulation
- Has 500 yards range for easy training
- It’s 100% waterproof
- Long-lasting rechargeable battery
Conc of Dogtra Fieldmaster LCD Training Collar
- It lacks a safety switch
Why We Recommend It
This is an excellent pick for medium to large dogs offering 0-27 levels of stimulation for safe training. It has a remarkable half a mile range with a waterproof design making it ideal for training even in wet conditions. It comes with a manual and instructions to aid in training.
Features That Make Ipet Remote Shock Training Dog Collar Stand Out
- This an easy to use dog collar that comes with separate sound, vibration and shock buttons which enhances the corrections without switching between modes
- The collar features 100 levels of stimulation for precise customization for vibration or tone warning
- The electric dog collar is fully waterproof with a water resistant transmitter which makes it ideal for training even in rainy conditions
- The collar is rechargeable with a rechargeable remote to allow for simultaneous charging of both, and this saves time
- It offers a range of 220 yards with the RF434Mhz technology to ensure easy training in the park or backyard
- The manufacturer provides a 1-year warranty after purchase with an extended three years warranty if you ever have an issue with your dog collar
Proc of Ipet Remote Shock Training Dog Collar
- Has 3 training levels with 100 levels of stimulation
- Recommended for dogs between 10 to 100 pounds
- Has three modes; static shock, beep, and vibration
Conc of Ipet Remote Shock Training Dog Collar
- Has no light form of stimulation
Why We Recommend It
This model is among the best dog training collars for large and small dogs with an easy to use design. The intensity of the collar is adjustable which makes it possible to set the perfect stimulation to fit your dog. The collar is ideal for outdoor because it’s fully waterproof.
Features That Make Petrainer Upgraded Version Dog Shock Collar Stand Out
- With this dog collar, you have the ability to not only train your dog to bark but also sit and other types of behaviors
- This is an inexpensive remote training collar that offers up to 100 levels of stimulation to ensure easy training
- It features a light mode that enhances the visibility of your dog particularly in low light conditions
- This collar has 3 modes to choose from for stimulation including tone, vibration, and static modes
- This remote dog collar offers a 330 yards range and is recommended for dogs with 15 pounds an larger
- This device comes with a rechargeable transmitter and receiver
Proc of Petrainer Upgraded Version Dog Shock Collar
- It’s pocket-friendly with an impressive range of 330 yards
- Comes with multiple stimulation modes to suit your training needs
- Has a light mode to enhance visibility
Conc of Petrainer Upgraded Version Dog Shock Collar
- The battery doesn’t stay charged for long
Why We Recommend It
This best training collar is effective at curbing your dog’s behaviors such as barking and aggression for a range of 330 yards. It boasts up to 100 customization levels with different statistic with a receiver and transmitter that can be charged at the same time. The technology used makes it easier to train your dog anywhere with remarkable ease.
Features That Make Pet Resolve Training Collar Stand Out
- The Pet Resolve Training Collar comes with a receiver, transmitter, battery charger, lanyard, e-book, spanner, and prongs
- It can train up to 3 dogs at a go consisting of 10 shocks and vibrations to curb different behaviors
- With this collar, you can control the collar from a distance of ¾ miles
- This is the best dog collar for puppies, large and medium dogs and is fully waterproof making it ideal for water areas
- There are ten different levels of stimulation that can be used as shock, vibration or beep for safe training
- The dog collar comes with an ultra-long lasting battery powered by a super high capacity lithium battery that can be charged via USB
- The collar is well-constructed making it durable, and high quality and will not easily break
- Thanks to the 2-year warranty, you can seek replacement or repair in case the device stops working
Proc of Pet Resolve Training Collar
- Both collar and transmitter are waterproof
- Can train up to 3 dogs
- Allows for USB charging
Conc of Pet Resolve Training Collar
- The rechargeable battery may not last long enough
Why We Recommend It
For owners with less than 2 dogs, the Pet Resolve Training Collar offers safe and efficient training making it easy to teach your dog a range of commands and orders. It boasts a water-resistant construction which makes it ideal for dogs that love being outdoors.
Features That Make Iduola Dog Training Collar Stand Out
- Most pet owners mostly prefer this Iduola dog training collar as it offers timely and effective dog training
- It has an impressive remote range featuring up to 1800 ft. the barrier for easy training whenever your dog runs too far
- This electric dog collar is easy to operate offering three modes of training including sound, vibration, and shock to ensure safe training
- Also, there are 1-100 levels of stimulation to ensure progressive behavioral obedience
- The upper of this collar features silicone which keeps collar skin contact safe, and the light mode provides easy visibility in low light conditions
- In case quality problems show within 2 years of purchase, the manufacturer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee to allow you to demand a refund
Proc of Iduola Dog Training Collar
- Has an impressive remote range of 880 yards
- Has various modes and levels of stimulation for safety
- Has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
Conc of Iduola Dog Training Collar
- The battery may not be ideal for longer training sessions
Why We Recommend It
If you need a safe dog collar for easy training of your dog, here’s one for you. This collar is impressive with over 100 levels of stimulation and three modes to choose from so that you can decide how much stimulation to use. The company offers 100% satisfaction guarantee in case the product becomes faulty.
Now that you have learned about the best-selling dog collar products, it’s important to select the one that fits your dog training needs. Remember to emphasize quality and pick one with your favorite features on our list.
As indicated above, you need to keep in mind a few considerations before purchasing your ideal device for your pet. Avoid using the shock therapy as this may be too intense. Remember that beep/vibration modes are an essential feature to have in a dog collar.
You May Also Interested In:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)