10 Best Dog Toothpastes Reviews and Buyer Guide 2019
Most dogs struggle with dental-related illness. This is the reason many of us don’t really want them to kiss or lick us. One of the leading causes of stinky breath is infected gums. Since dogs cannot hold a toothbrush or take care of their dental hygiene themselves, it is up to you, the pet owner, to do that for them. Dog toothpaste will help you maintain his dental hygiene and prevent bad breath. However, despite dog toothpaste being available for a while now, some pet owners are unaware of their existence and how to use them.
To help you out, we have compiled a guide to buying the best dog toothpaste products. We will review the top-rated dog toothpaste, covering their features and all you need to know. You will find a quality toothpaste for your dog.
Dog toothpaste not only helps improve the smell of their breath but also prevent dental infections and gum inflammation. So, how do you get to choose the best dog toothpaste?
Well, Here Are the Factors to Consider When Buying Dog Toothpaste.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
List of Ingredients
It is essential to read the list of ingredients in the packaging of the toothpaste before you invest in one. A reputable brand doesn’t hide the ingredients. If the front cover is cluttered and doesn’t disclose the ingredients, then we recommend you steer away from that product. Brands that avoid disclosing the ingredients usually use cheaper, unhealthy chemical compounds that make their toothpaste cheaper. You don’t want to give your dog toothpaste that will harm them.
Since dogs are not tolerant of more ingredients than humans, it is important to be keen on the ingredients used to make each toothpaste before you invest in it. This will save you a lot of troubles in the future.
If you find the ingredients unhealthy for dogs, then avoid the product as that will expose them to unknown health conditions in the future. If you are not sure about the best dog toothpaste for your dog, consult your local vet. Also, you can rely on our reviews since we have pet care specialists who guide us regarding the best pet products on the market.
Consider Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
This toothpaste is meant to help prevent dental infections. But to achieve optimal dental hygiene with this toothpaste, you will need to do it regularly, if not daily. This paste spread across your dog’s teeth as soon as it is applied on his teeth. It provides protection against dental diseases such as inflammation, oral illnesses, and teeth infection.
What makes enzymatic toothpaste useful is the glucose oxidase enzyme in them. This enzyme, when it comes into contact with oxygen and glucose, develops antibacterial qualities.
This is why it is a common ingredient in many toothpaste brands and a vital part of dental care kits. These enzymes also target plaque and tartar, and the best thing, they are 100% safe for your dog even when swallowed.
Dogs, just like humans, have their preferred tastes. Luckily, there are many dog toothpaste brands on the market each with different flavors. Some flavors include chicken, peanut butter, beef, vanilla, poultry, herbal seafood, natural/organic, and many other flavors. Vanilla-mint toothpaste is the most common since they are sweet.
Ensure you test first if your dog will like the toothpaste taste by putting a bit of it on a finger, and allow it to lick it. Don’t put it on a brush and begin brushing your dog’s teeth. This will help them decide if they want to taste it more or are shying away.
Consider Tartar Removable Toothpaste
Since most dogs suffer from dental illnesses (at least 80% of dogs suffer from dental diseases), it is wise to go for tartar buildup removing paste to keep your dog teeth shiny and clean. Go for fluoride-free toothpaste that is non-foamy for your canine friend as they cannot swallow the foam,
A fluoride-free toothpaste will also keep your dog safe since they swallow most of it.
You should check the safety condition of anything that will get into your dog’s mouth. Fortunately, all the products we have reviewed here are safe for your dog. The toothpaste in our lists either remove tartar and plague or offer gum protection.
Go for One That Keeps Your Dog’s Mouth Fresh
If your dog has stinky breath, then you should go for toothpaste that refreshes its mouth and keeps its jaws clean. Therefore, go for toothpaste with baking soda to help whiten your dog’s teeth and remove unnecessary plaque.
With regular usage, your dog’s teeth will protect themselves against tartar and plaque, thanks to the coating the formulas form on their teeth. This will only happen only if you brush their teeth regularly. If daily brushing is not possible for you, two to three times a week is beneficial.
Type of Toothpaste
If your pooch is trained and can use toothpaste with a toothbrush, you will have an easier time cleaning your dog’s teeth. Using a toothbrush is the most effective and the best option when it comes to cleaning your dog’s teeth.
For dogs that are temperamental, you can use a drop-style toothpaste. With this toothpaste, you pour two drops on each side of his mouth. Your dog will use his tongue to do the rest.
There are other types of toothpaste that can be put in his water bowl or food. This is best for dogs that don’t like someone sticking a hand in their mouth. However, this type of toothpaste tends to take time to yield results. It tends to take more time compared to using a toothbrush. However, it is still useful in eliminating plaque and tartar buildup.
With that knowledge, now you are in a better position to choose the best toothpaste for a dog.
Best Dog Toothpastes 2019
After hours of research and scrolling through customer reviews and experts opinions, we can confidently say that the top 10 toothpaste for dogs we will review here stand out from all the others and are the best in the market. They have impressive ratings, excellent customer reviews, and have natural ingredients to help maintain your dog’s dental health with the least fuss possible.
Features That Make Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Stand Out
- Dogs love eating poultry which is why Petrodex decided to go for poultry flavor to entice your pet to clean the teeth
- If you have been having trouble making your dog open his mouth, then you may need to try this product from Petrodex with an impressive Amazon rating behind its back
- Stubborn pets will soon want their teeth brushed which is a dream come true for most dog owners
- The Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic toothpaste for dogs is packed in a simple red tube and is available in sizes of bundles including the single 6.2-ounce tube and a smaller tube of 3 ounces
- Most dogs like the taste of this toothpaste since it makes cleaning feel like a treat
- If you’re looking for a natural toothpaste for dogs, the Sentry Petrodex Toothpaste comes 100% natural with the peanut butter and poultry flavors to choose for your dog
- This toothpaste is considered effective at preventing tartar and fighting plaque. It also reduces bad breath that could be causing you discomforts
- You don’t have to worry if your pet ingests it as it contains only natural compounds without any artificial preservatives or additives
Proc of Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic
- Has beef poultry flavor that most dogs like
- Is 100% natural
- Contains natural abrasives
Conc of Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic
- Some dogs may dislike the taste
Why We Recommend It
Petrodex Enzymatic toothpaste offers excellent value by meeting your dog’s dental needs effectively. The toothpaste has natural ingredients which won’t affect your dog even if they swallow hence your dog is safe. The best part is you don’t have to spend much to acquire it, and that makes it better.
Features That Make Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste Stand Out
- Here’s is a flesh flavored toothpaste that helps fight the formation of plagues in dogs giving them a minty fresh breath
- The toothpaste tastes excellent for most dogs that they may try to eat the delicious paste, but luckily, it’s safe.
- The most interesting this is it comes in numerous flavors such as beef, poultry, malt, vanilla mint, and seafood hence each dog will get a flavor they like
- The product comes in a 2.5-ounce tube which features no foaming agents, so you don’t have to worry about the paste forming in the mouth of your dog
- Are you looking for the toothpaste that can break down bacteria without too much scrubbing motion? The Virbac C.E.T toothpaste has enzymes that are effective at breaking down bacteria in teeth
- If you need to neutralize odors caused by bad breath, this paste keeps your dog’s breath fresh and clean
- This a vet-recommended dog toothpaste for being effective at enhancing oral hygiene and comes at an affordable price
Proc of Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste
- It’s a natural anti-bacterial formula
- Fights bad breath
- Doesn’t foam up
- Can be used on cats too
Conc of Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Some dogs would rather eat it; hence you may need to use an extended toothbrush and put the paste deep into the bristles
Why We Recommend It
Brushing your furry friend’s teeth doesn’t have to be difficult. With Virbac C.E.T toothpaste, you get many flavors that your dog will like such as poultry making it easier to trick them into the treat every time. The enzymatic toothpaste is so effective at breaking down bacteria; you can even place it around your dog’s teeth, and it will still work.
Features That Make Ark Naturals Products Brushless Toothpaste Stand Out
- Sometimes it can be a tedious task to keep up the demands of brushing your pet especially when you’re on a tight schedule
- This toothpaste by Ark Naturals is a remarkable dental chew that helps fight plaque, tartar, and bacteria
- The toothpaste comes in different flavors such as vanilla, cloven, cinnamon and alfalfa to ensure that your dog stays fresh and clean
- On the inside, the Ark Natural brushless toothpaste contains a complex of active ingredients that prevent the spread and growth of bacterial keeping your dog’s teeth stain free
- Worried that your dog might swallow the dental chew? The toothpaste has been tried and tested and clinically proven to be safe and readily digestible
- You can use this toothpaste for pets that are nervous and anxious and is ideal for dogs of up to 12 weeks
- If your dog is gluten intolerant, the Ark Naturals Products Brushless Toothpaste could be a suitable choice for your needs
- You can get it in 2 different sizes, the large size and mini size too
Proc of Ark Naturals Products Brushless Toothpaste
- Has all natural ingredients
- It’s gluten-free
- Highly affordable
Conc of Ark Naturals Products Brushless Toothpaste
- Some customers complain that it does not last long
Why We Recommend It
For pets with nervous behavior, anxiety and occasional bouts of motion sickness, here is an effective toothpaste that fights plaque and microorganism buildup. The highly digestible dental chew comes in many flavors; hence you get to choose what your dog loves.
Features That Make C.E.T Toothpaste Stand Out
- CET is one of the most popular brands when it comes to toothpaste
- The company offers an effective toothpaste that provides excellent dental care for your dog and has been formulated to be appealing, effective and safe for your dog
- The CET toothpaste has been designed to reach even the hardest to reach surfaces in your dog’s teeth
- It comes with a soft bristled brush that won’t harm your pet’s sensitive gum as this may scare them
- You can use this toothpaste as a go-to treat as it features numerous flavors like vanilla to keep your pet feel happy and fresh
- The best part is that the creators of this toothpaste pet put together a special bundle that makes it one of the most inexpensive dog toothpaste in the market
- The toothpaste also works excellent for teeth whitening to ensure that your dog’s teeth stay stain free
- It can be applied daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush that comes with to prevent harming your pet’s gum
- If your dog ingests this toothpaste, there’s no need for worry as it’s safe because there are no foaming agents
- It can be used on dogs of all sizes to help maintain overall oral health and hygiene
Proc of C.E.T Toothpaste
- Numerous flavors to choose from
- Doesn’t have a foaming agent
- For dogs of all sizes
Conc of C.E.T Toothpaste
- Contains Sorbitol which may be harmful to some dogs
Why We Recommend It
The CET toothpaste offers excellent dental care for your pooch with bad breath. You get this toothpaste in many flavors to entice your pet. Luckily, it comes at an affordable price that won’t cost your pocket much.
Features That Make Enzadent Pet Toothpaste Stand Out
- If your dog loves eating poultry, here’s an easy trick to ensure that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy the teeth brushing sessions
- The Enzadent Pet Toothpaste boasts the triple enzyme system that works effectively at getting rid of plaque from his teeth
- One of the attributes you will love about this toothpaste is it contains no foam hence there’s no need to rinse it all
- Your pet can safely swallow Enzadent Pet toothpaste as it contains no harmful additives and doesn’t need to be rinsed out
- If your dog is suffering from tooth or mouth illnesses, you can apply this toothpaste daily for better results
- This toothpaste aids in soft tissue development and is packed with beneficial enzymes to remove plaque
Proc of Enzadent Pet Toothpaste
- Has a specialized triple enzyme system
- Doesn’t foam
Conc of Enzadent Pet Toothpaste
- Some dogs may dislike the flavor
Why We Recommend It
The best-highlighted feature in this toothpaste is the triple enzyme system that helps break down microorganism growth to get rid of the plague. The ingredients used to do not foam to allow for worry-free teeth cleaning experience.
Features That Make Arm & Hammer Advanced Care Toothpaste Stand Out
- With over 150 years of experience, Arm and Hammer offers some of the best toothpaste products
- One of the company’s flagship products is this customer-favorite toothpaste that offers relief to dog owners
- The Advanced Care Enzymatic toothpaste comes in a 2.5-ounce tube that helps remove and prevent plaque build
- To ensure clean gums and teeth, Arm & Hammer toothpaste includes baking soda. The baking soda also whitens the teeth and keeps a healthy PH to prevent bad breath
- This toothpaste comes in 3 flavors: vanilla-ginger, chicken, and beef-mint scent which feel tasty for your pooch
- The gentle dog toothpaste contains safe and natural compounds such as chamomile, glucosamine, green tea leaf extract and aloe
- Need a wonderful toothpaste but are strained in terms of budget? Then this is worth a try for improved dental health
- The Arm & Hammer toothpaste promotes deep cleaning while being gentle and will enhance the breath of your pet
- It has a great taste that many dogs will find hard to resist
Proc of Arm & Hammer Advanced Care Toothpaste
- Contains baking soda to deodorize the mouth
- Has a beef flavor
- Offers deep cleaning
Conc of Arm & Hammer Advanced Care Toothpaste
- Some dogs may not like the taste
Why We Recommend It
This is an effective toothpaste that offers gentle but highly effective cleaning. Your pet will enjoy the baking soda kind of infused dental care. The best part is you get great value for your money for this budget-friendly toothpaste.
Features That Make KISSABLE All-Natural Dog Toothpaste Stand Out
- Here’s one of the most popular kinds of toothpaste for dogs on the market
- Its best-highlighted feature is the vanilla flavor that most owners and dogs like
- Besides, this is an all-natural toothpaste with natural sweeteners to make sure your dog likes it
- You will notice that your dog tends to lick the teeth for a while due to the tantalizing taste of the Kissable natural toothpaste
- What’s more, the toothpaste has tea-tree oil which helps promote a healthy gum
- This is a vet-recommended paste that can be applied regularly to prevent tartar formation and gum inflammation
- If you need toothpaste to keep your dog’s teeth white and polished, this contains potassium phosphate and kaolin and hence may appeal to you
- This product is sugar-free and safe for your dog
Proc of KISSABLE All-Natural Dog Toothpaste
- Has all-natural ingredients
- Promotes healthy gums
- Fit for dogs of all ages
Conc of KISSABLE All-Natural Dog Toothpaste
- Some dogs dislike the vanilla scent
Why We Recommend It
If you’re looking for an all-natural toothpaste for your dog, here’s KISSABLE All-Natural dog toothpaste that’s safe for dogs. It becomes even better if your pet finds the vanilla scent appealing as the toothpaste offers relief to most dental issues.
Features That Make Arm & Hammer Dog Clinical Care Stand Out
- Here’s another one from Arm and Hammer to offer gentle yet effective cleaning
- The Arm & Hammer Clinical dog care toothpaste also includes baking soda, to keep the PH healthy for a fresh breath that dogs and owners like
- The fantastic toothpaste comprises natural herbs that offer effective cleaning to fight bad breath
- If your pet has sensitive gums, this product may be what you need to sooth the gums
- The manufacturer includes powerful enzymes to products as a way to break down tartar buildup ensuring clean teeth and healthy gums
- In case your dog ingests the toothpaste, you can rest assured that it’s safe for dogs of all ages
- The enzymatic gel is an excellent way to whiten your pet’s teeth and fight lousy odor
Proc of Arm & Hammer Dog Clinical Care
- Helps in controlling tartar buildup
- Flavors entice your pup to open wide for teeth cleaning
- Has natural herbs like ginger to enhance breath
Conc of Arm & Hammer Dog Clinical Care
- Some dogs may not like the flavor
Why We Recommend It
This toothpaste offers excellent oral care even when traveling. Vets recommend applying it up to 3 times a week to prevent tartar build up which is the primary cause of bad breath. The Arm & Hammer toothpaste combines natural antibiotic properties with ingredients such as green tea and ginger.
Features That Make Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel Stand Out
- Paying close attention to the ingredients used in pet products means that that you want only what’s best for your pet
- Vet’s Best uses limited and natural ingredients such as grapefruit seed extract to enhance oral health
- Some dogs don’t like poultry or minty flavor, but toothpaste contains natural flavor which most dogs love
- The natural flavors mean that it is 100% organic
- The package looks professional which is simple green with white colors which adds the pharmaceutical feel
- The product includes aloe which helps fight plaque and bacteria keeping your dog’s oral hygiene excellent
- The paste has baking soda whose benefits cannot be stressed enough – it helps deodorize your pet’s mouth and helps brighten the teeth.
- This all-natural dog toothpaste is safe and doesn’t contain any GMO ingredients
- Vet’s Best is a US-based brand, and thus, all its product passes through safety tests before being released to the market, and this is no exception
Proc of Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel
- It’s all-natural
- Has baking soda to keep the mouth smelling fresh
- Made in the USA
Conc of Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dental Gel
- Some dogs might prefer other flavors
Why We Recommend It
Looking to go natural? Here’s an ideal toothpaste that will keep your dog smelling fresh. The interesting feature about this toothpaste is the baking soda which helps deodorize the mouth. This has been made in the US with the best safety standards.
Features That Make Paws and Pals ToothPaste Stand Out
- With over a decade in the pet product industry, many customers rely on this brand for their high-quality products
- The pack looks great and contains a 14 oz. the tube containing non-aggressive compounds
- The ingredients used are effective at eroding tartar, and the results will be evident after a few weeks of use
- It comes in a pack of two with two toothbrushes included
- The soft bristled toothbrush promotes cleaning the hard to reach areas
- The toothpaste comes in the beef flavor that many dogs seem to love; this helps entice them during teeth-cleaning time
- This is one of the best dog toothpaste to erode plaque, reduce tartar and fight bad breath
- The product is safe for your pet in almost every aspect having been made in the USA
Proc of Paws and Pals ToothPaste
- Has beef flavor for quick results
- Comes with 2 toothbrushes
- It is affordable
Conc of Paws and Pals ToothPaste
- Some customers said that their dog experienced diarrhea after using it
Why We Recommend It
This toothpaste comes in a handy pack of 2 which gives you a good value for money. Better yet, the package includes a brush with soft brittles which should make your work easy. Most dogs like the beef flavor which combines well with cleaning ingredients. It has an impressive score rating on Amazon.
How to clean your dog’s teeth
Your dogs need to be used to the idea of you brushing its mouth. You can begin by touching the mouth region and gently lift the lips and touch its gum.
To get him used to a toothbrush, start by applying flavored things on your fingers and inserting them into his mouth cavity. Use the dog toothpaste you have purchased as a treat and let him get used to the toothpaste tube.
Keep in mind that dog toothpaste is not harmful and thus it is safe for them to swallow the paste. They also come in different flavors, which your dog will be salivating for. After your dog get used to the taste of toothpaste, the next step would be to train to keep his mouth wide.
To help him keep his mouth open when brushing him, train him using toys while you gently touch his gum with your finger. Reward him with something or some toothpaste.
Gradually introduce him to a toothbrush. You can go for a toothbrush specially designed for dogs or go for the small bristled child toothbrush. If you don’t have any of these, you can use a small damp towel and wrap it around your finger. This is helpful if your dog is afraid of the toothbrush. Keep in mind that most dogs shy from the usage of a toothbrush, with other dogs totally resisting its usage.
In the same way, you brush your teeth, ensure you thoroughly brush his teeth. However, don’t scrub as hard to avoid hurting his gum as this will instill fear in him.
You will need to brush away from the gum gently and work fast regardless of how well behaved your dog is as the experience is not always pleasing and comfortable for them. Don’t try to brush inside his mouth as his tongue keeps his inner teeth surface spotless.
After successful brushing, praise him and lavish him with treats. Let him know that it is a proper procedure for them.
Choosing the best toothbrush for your dog will help your dog with their oral hygiene. We know that there are dozens of dog toothpaste on the market, and it can be challenging to choose the right one for your dog. However, we have made things easier for you by reviewing only the best toothpaste for dogs with meat and sweet flavors. Your dog will like most of the canine toothpaste on this list.
You can buy one or two different flavored pastes in smaller amounts and see which one your dog likes. Quality toothpaste is meant to remove the plaque and freshen up your dog breath. All of the toothpaste in this review is the best on the market. They have been tried and tested by hundreds of customers and pet experts recommend them as well. You can confidently purchase any of them!
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Best Dog Nail Clippers Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Dog Hair Vacuums Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 10 Best Highest Rated Dog Crates Reviews and Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)