10 Best Highest Rated Dog Crates Reviews and Guide 2019
Dog crates are essential for any pet owners as it creates sanity and comfort for your canine friend. Crates help potty train puppies and serve as a safe method of transporting dogs if you are traveling with your pet. If you are in the market for the best dog crates for large dogs or small breeds, you will find them all reviewed here.
However, it is possible to choose the wrong dog crate from the best dog crates, and this will be downright disastrous. If you misjudge the size of a crate, your dog will find it uncomfortable to fit in. That’s why we have prepared a helpful buyer’s guide to help you choose the right crate for a dog. But before we walk you through the different types of dog crates and factors to consider when buying one, let’s first discuss the benefits of investing in a dog crates.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Benefits of a Dog Crate
A dog crate has definite advantages for both you and your dog. Initially, it may seem strange to your dog or puppy, but they get used to this tool. Here are some of the advantages of a dog crate;
Soothing Space For Your Dog
After some time, a crate will become an everyday spot for your dog. If kept in a quiet area of the house and always opened, it will become a calming space for your dog where he retreats to when he wants to relax. It can be their go-to place when they feel stressed, afraid, or tired. A dog crate can also act as a safe haven for your pooch as he knows it belongs to him.
For a dog that is injured or sick, the comfort and calmness inside a crate may soothe them. Although they may not know, specific actions may cause further injury or harm, especially when they are recovering from surgery or major accidents.
You should not use crates as a punishment tool as your dog will associate them with negativity and might resist using them next time. If you put your dog in a crate when he knows you are upset with them, he will think that the crate is something to avoid. However, if you intend to use it for behavior modification, stick to that.
Not all dogs behave well around strangers and moving vehicles. It is also dangerous to have your dog roam around your car while you drive. You need to keep your dog confined, relaxed and calm while you drive, and a crate provides a safer and comfortable way of traveling with your dog.
Ensure the crate you are using is large enough for your dog so they can be comfortable. If they feel too cramped, or they have outgrown the current one they are using, get them a bigger one.
Now that you know the benefits of using a crate, let’s discuss the various types of dog crates;
Types of Dog Crates
There are different types of dog crates, and you will want to make sure that you choose the best type for your canine companion. Here are the main types of dog crates;
Wire Dog Crate
These are well-ventilated and often portable, although some can be heavy. They are great for calm dogs that like seeing their surroundings.
While they aren’t the best regarding appearance, they can be noisier. They are easy to clean and offer removable crates to accommodate your puppy as it grows. Some are also collapsible for ease of transportation.
Plastic Dog Crate
They are not the most attractive, but some dogs like more privacy and seclusion when they want to relax and sleep. They are not as easy to clean as wire crate but are easy to store.
Dogs will find it hard to escape from this crate. They are great for air travel.
Soft-Sided Dog Crate
These crates are lightweight, great for traveling, and can be stored easily. However, they are only suitable for small dogs. They can be difficult to clean, and curious puppies can escape from them easily. Destructive pups can also chew through.
Heavy-Duty Dog Crate
These crates are made for destructive and smart dogs. Although quite pricey, they are sturdy and last a long time. Some are approved for airline travel and thus can be easier to carry your dog in when traveling by air.
Fashionable Dog Crate
As the name suggests, these crates are stylish. They elevate your house décor and can double as a side table.
The downside is that they are not the best option for destructive dogs due to their wooden construction.
Now, let’s discuss what you need to keep in mind when buying dog crates.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Dog Crate
These factors will not only help you obtain the best crate on the market, but also the right one for your dog. Understanding them will help you make a better, enlightened decision when choosing a dog crate.
Every dog deserves to have ample space to enable it to move comfortably within the crate. Your pooch deserves to have substantial spaces so it can rest and relax comfortably.
Here are some tips when it comes to the size requirements of a dog crate;
A crate should have at least 4+ inches the length of your pet from the nose to its tail end. Therefore, if you have a pooch that is 15 inches, his crate should be 22 inches. This is the minimum length of the crate you need to buy.
Your pooch’s crate should have 4+ inches plus the height of your dog’s height while he’s standing on all fours.
This is related to the length and height of the crate. Width is just a formality. It should be substantial.
There is no rule of thumb when it comes to determining the right size of a dog crate. The only rule is that your pooch should move freely in his crate.
Durability and Sturdiness
No one wants to live in a fragile house, and the same is true with your dog especially if they use the crate for resting. If the crate is not strong enough, you might end up buying another one soon. Therefore, it is essential to look at how a crate is built. This is often dictated by the type of material used to construct it. Plastic dog crates are ideal for people in colder climates as they keep the inside environment warm. However, ensure it is not exposed to extreme heat as that will reduce their strength, durability, and structural integrity.
Metal and steel wire crates are ideal for people in hot climates as they allow more aeration. They are strong and tough. Fabric crates offer more comfort for your pet and depending on the type of fabric used, it can be durable and tough.
Dog crates always have metallic poles that form slats in the crates to allow aeration. However, what makes them safer or dangerous is the spacing in between the poles and rods. If the space is overly broad, your pooch paws might get stuck in there, thereby causing an injury. Therefore, it is ideal to go for crates with tighter spaced rods.
Besides, if you are buying plastic crates, go for those with plastics that are BPA-free as your dog might lick on these plastic surfaces.
While sturdiness, design, and size are the most important factors, the overall design of a crate also matters. Some people prefer fancier models while others prefer a basic boxy crate. Some would prefer those that are collapsible for ease of storage while others like a crate with partitions for specific purposes. Ensure you choose a crate that will suit your design preference.
Best Dog Crates 2019
Having understood how to choose the best crate for your dog, here are the best crates to choose from.
Features That Make Midwest Homes For Pets Stand Out
- Looking for an affordable crate to train your large dog? Here’s something sturdy, secure and reliable
- Midwest has been in the pet care business for 90 years and has been reputable for producing high-quality products
- This unit comes with double doors which offers access from both the side and front ensuring some extra convenience
- This is among the best dog crates for traveling as it features sturdy ABS plastic handles which are very resilient and can hold your dog’s weight
- The folding metal dog crate is made with steel which is rust free and stain resistant promising durability
- This crate has an elegant black finish that will easily compliment the design of your house interior
- The doors feature sturdy bolt latches which ensures that every door is securely locked including the aggressive breeds
- If you have a smaller pooch, the design of this crate offers two separate cages via the divider panel
- The unit is easy to assemble without the need for any tools and can be folded for convenient storage or travel
- The cage features rubber roller feet to protect hardwood floors
Proc of Midwest Homes For Pets
- Durable and long lasting
- Easy to transport
Conc of Midwest Homes For Pets
- Some units come with sharp edges that can be harmful
Why We Recommend It
The metal wire product is a suitable option for anyone looking for a lightweight, easy to assemble and inexpensive crate for dogs. A lot of people who have bought this crate are satisfied with its performance. This crate comes with a Midwest Quality Guarantee and a 1-year warranty which shows it’s of high quality.
Features That Make AmazonBasics Folding Metal Crate Stand Out
- The AmazonBasics Folding Dog crate comes with a host of features to keep your pooch secure and safe during traveling or training
- The metal crate features a convenient dual door design which makes it easy to access your dog from the front and side
- Each door comes with a side bolt latch to ensure that your dog’s stays inside the crate without running free
- This unit features a removable pan which offers easy cleaning and maintenance using a cloth
- The model boasts a durable wire construction which allows your dog to watch outside and also get enough air
- If you need a crate you can transport easily, AmazonBasics fits your needs as you can fold it effortlessly
- Another highlight of this crate is the mini dividers at the bottom side of the crate that divide each metal bar. This is a crucial feature for puppies and small breeds with tiny paws as they hardly get stuck
- The dog crate comes in 6 different size options which can make it difficult to choose the right size for your dog – be sure to check the dimensions to determine the ideal size
Proc of AmazonBasics Folding Metal Crate
- Metal wire offers visibility, strength, and ventilation
- Has a free divider panel to adjust space
- Has a removable pan for easy cleaning
- No sharp edges
Conc of AmazonBasics Folding Metal Crate
- The latches can be difficult to open
Why We Recommend It
This is a good-sized crate that features a sturdy build and can be folded for transport. The best part is you can easily clean this crate thanks to the removable pan. The manufacturer did an impressive job by putting many bars near the bottom of the cage which makes it a secure pick for dogs with small paws.
Features That Make New World Folding Metal Dog Crate Stand Out
- Features that make New World Folding Metal Dog Crate stand out
- New World has been a popular manufacturer and distributor of pet products around the globe and is definitely reputable and reliable
- This New World Folding Dog Crate features a high-quality wire mesh to keep your pet safe and secure
- The wire mesh which features electro-plating finish won’t easily breakdown letting you rest assured that your pet won’t break free even when you’re not around
- The crate features a single door design which is ideal for pets that tends to be forgetful hence a perfect choice for housetraining dogs
- It takes pride in a leak-proof plastic design to ensure that your fur baby doesn’t mess on your flooring
- The plastic on the bottom of the crate is also flat and durable to provide comfort for your pet
- For pets that like to chew the locks and latches, this one comes with a two slide bolt latches which ensure that he won’t go out unless you open it
- Traveling with metal crates can be a challenge because they are bulky and unwieldy. Fortunately, the New World Crate is easily foldable which makes it perfect for storage and transport
Proc of New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Has two-latch lock design
- Has a leak-proof plastic that’s easy to clean
- Heavy-duty construction with electro-plated steel
- Easy to collapse and assemble
Conc of New World Folding Metal Dog Crate
- Lacks a divider panel
Why We Recommend It
Need a good crate for dogs between 26 to 40 lbs.? The New World Dog crate has a sturdy construction featuring slide bolt latch locks that keep the doors secure. Moreover, setting it up is pretty straightforward and folding it is very simple. The lightweight design makes it ideal for transport.
Features That Make 2PET Foldable Dog Crate Stand Out
- The 2PET foldable dog crate comes in 4 different color schemes that will match your home decor or pup’s collar
- It features a creative full-frontal dipper design that’s hard for your dog to chew but easy for you to open
- The crate is lightweight with a terrific top handle that makes transporting your pet even easier
- It boasts a sturdy construction featuring a steel tubing and an Oxford 600 denier cover
- The top cover is removable and machine washable hence easy to clean up in case of accidents
- The unit features mesh window panels which allow for visibility and sufficient ventilation as they relax
- The crate is suitable for indoor and outdoor use as it’s lightweight and you would easily carry it like a bag
- This is one of the best dog crates for separation anxiety featuring fabric that looks classy with soft sides where your small dog will feel comfortable
Proc of 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
- Lightweight and durable
- The front zipper design is ideal for dogs that like to chew
- The fabric is machine washable
Conc of 2PET Foldable Dog Crate
- The crate is only suitable for dogs under 70 lbs.
Why We Recommend It
Looking for a foldable dog crate with a fantastic combination of functionality with a touch of class? The 2PET Foldable dog crate ticks all the boxes for both indoor and outdoor training. The durable crate has many windows and mesh panels for enough ventilation.
Features That Make Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate Stand Out
- Here’s a pet crate that will blend well with your furniture and decor featuring wood that looks stylish and elegant
- The Crown Pet Products Wood Crate is made from 100% hardwood with a teak-like look that makes it look so polished
- The mixture of classic and modern as well as espresso coloring makes it a suitable for most home interiors
- It has a swing through the door that’s versatile and can rotate both ways
- The model offers multiple vents that ensure proper ventilation and a cozy environment for your dog
- The MDF flooring is waterproof hence you can rest assured that it’s not going to absorb stinky smells and liquids
- This is one of the best wooden dog crates featuring a 360-degree view for your pet where you can see them, and this reduces your pet’s anxiety
- The medium sized crate is suitable for both small and medium-sized dogs of up to 45 lbs. thus, you can stay relieved knowing that your intelligent dog doesn’t break out of the crate
- You can choose from 2 different sizes of the crate as well as 3 different finishes including Chestnut, Mahogany, and Espresso finishes
Proc of Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate
- Has a durable hardwood construction
- Has a swing-through door that can rotate both ways
- Easy to clean and doesn’t absorb liquids
Conc of Crown Pet Products Wood Pet Crate
- It can be complicated to assemble for the first time
Why We Recommend It
This is a high-quality piece of furniture for pet owners who need a comfortable home for their dog without sacrificing the look of their home interior. Featuring wood and waterproof base, this is a convenient choice for you albeit pricey.
Features That Make Guardian Gear Empire Stand Out
- Next up is the guardian empire, one of the most robust dog crates made by ProSelect for the most aggressive canines
- The construction of this model deserves praise with every stress point on the surface having undergone heavy duty welding
- What’s more, it has dual door latches that are sturdy enough having been wielded at the stress points
- For dogs that chew, this one is perfect for you featuring steel surface and has been reinforced with 0.5” diameter steel tubes
- Besides, all the crates corners are rounded off to ensure safety for you and your dog
- Regarding safety, this unit features sturdy latches on the frontal door to ensure that your dog doesn’t unlock it in any way
- You can easily clean the ProSelect Empire as it comes with a removable steel tray that makes room for easy cleaning
- The floor pan is easy to clean and can be replaced after some time (these are sold separately)
- This model may be quite heavy, but it comes with removable caster wheels which makes moving it ridiculously easy with just a slight push
- This is a durable dog cage that can stand even the toughest abuse from the largest dogs
Proc of Guardian Gear Empire
- Durable steel construction
- It’s resistant to rust
- Has removable caster wheels for smooth movement
Conc of Guardian Gear Empire
- Heavier than similar models
- Quite pricey
Why We Recommend It
This crate is for pet owners with large dogs that always easily manage to escape from conventional crates. The model offers a guarantee of keeping your dog secure every time. It’s durable and easy to maintain.
Features That Make Arf Pets Soft Kennel Stand Out
- This is a soft-sided crate developed by Arf Pets featuring large mesh windows with ventilation on all sides
- The Arf Pets Soft Crate is made of heavy-duty steel with a carrying capacity of pets weighing up to 70 lbs.
- It comes in a warm blue-grey and has 3 doors allowing for different entry points and enough ventilation
- It comes in a unique folding design with collapsible bars making it easy to collapse and assemble
- The kennel has mesh screens so that your dog keeps seeing what’s going on without worry
- If you need a crate that can last long, the Arf Pets 3 Door crate has a heavy built with a waterproof base
- The crate has an opening on the top which makes it ideal for travel with car rides as your pooch can pop its head out
Proc of Arf Pets Soft Kennel
- Easy to fold and buckle down
- Offers a large room
- 3 doors on the front top and one side
Conc of Arf Pets Soft Kennel
- Zippers may not be durable enough for aggressive dogs
Why We Recommend It
This dog crate is best-suited owners who like to travel with pets. The Arf Pets Dog Crate comes with mesh screens that keep the insects away without blocking the view and fresh air. The crate offers a huge room for your outdoor dog and has a waterproof base to ensure comfort.
Features That Make Aspen Puppy Retreat Crate Stand Out
- The crate is sizeable enough to accommodate large dogs and has a 2-door configuration making it perfect for house training your pet
- The sliding bolt latch design together with the overlapping doors provide a safe and secure environment for your furry friend
- Aspen has incorporated an ergonomic design that makes it easy to assemble or fold up the crate for storage and transportation
- The Aspen Puppy Retreat Crate comes with a removable polypropylene pan that’s easy to clean
- The crate features a rust-resistant powder coat for increased durability
- A divider panel is also another feature that comes in handy when you want to adjust the crate’s size as your dog grows
- The open top and sides design ensure that your pet feels less entrapped in the cage which reduces separation anxiety
- The crate is made of high-quality meshing that can withstand abuses from aggressive pets or extra weight placed on top of it during storage
Proc of Aspen Puppy Retreat Crate
- Sturdy design that lasts long
- Secure bolt latches that keep the doors firmly shut
- Has lots of internal space allowing your pet to move around
Conc of Aspen Puppy Retreat Crate
- The crate lacks a blanket which would be more comfortable on top of the polypropylene pan
Why We Recommend It
Aspen Puppy Retreat Crates are not only sturdy but also offer a lot regarding endurance; the rust-resistant finish will ensure that the crate looks excellent and durable for a long time. The internal space is enough for your pet with enough windows for a better view.
Features That Make Noz2Noz Soft-Krater for Pets Stand Out
- This discreet dog crate comes highly recommended especially if your dog is somewhat shy and would rather stay in privacy while on the move
- The crate is durable and well ventilated for your pet
- Regarding quality, the heavy-duty tight-weave fabric will be more than enough to withstand scratching over and over again
- The interior of the crate is shielded from bright lights by the fabric allowing your dog to sleep privately
- Noz2Noz crate features a foldable design that makes it easy to store and quickly set it up when you need to travel
- The base is water resistant and easy to clean, it can also be removed if extensive cleaning is necessary
Proc of Noz2Noz Soft-Krater for Pets
- Made of high-quality materials that are durable
- Discreet design for your pet’s comfort and privacy
- Easy to clean
- Foldable design for easy storage
Conc of Noz2Noz Soft-Krater for Pets
- The crate’s base is not rigid enough to withstand compression and can, therefore, lose shape over time
Why We Recommend It
The Noz2Noz Soft-Krater For Pets is not only stylish but also features a heavy duty construction. The foldable crate is perfect if you like to travel with your dog. This one keeps your dog in privacy allowing them to rest.
Features That Make MidWest Homes Giant Dog Crate Stand Out
- This double door metal crate for dogs is the ideal crate for large breeds
- It features a double doors configuration that makes it easy to access the crate and brings in more convenience
- The crate is equipped with a tray which can be removed for easy cleaning to ensure that your dog stays in hygienic conditions
- The drop-pin construction, as well as the patented ‘L’ bar, reinforce the crate side panels thus preventing them from bowing inwards
- The crate has a protective E-coat finish that serves to prevent rusting for added durability
- Once shut the doors will remain securely in position thanks to the slide-bolt latches
Proc of MidWest Homes Giant Dog Crate
- Spacious enough to accommodate large breeds
- Equipped with sturdy side panels for extra safety
- Slide-bolt latches for securing the doors
- 2-door configuration for secure entrance and exit
Conc of MidWest Homes Giant Dog Crate
- Some customers complained about their shipments having sharp edges, but the company has since then refunded the claims
Why We Recommend It
The MidWest Homes Giant Dog Crate is built purposefully for housing large breed dogs. Its roomy interior will be more than comfortable for your large breed dogs. It features slide-bolt latches that your intelligent dog cannot open.
How to Train Your Puppy to Use a Dog Crate
It is easier to train a puppy than an adult dog. Therefore, train your pooch to understand that a crate is not for punishment. Rather, it is his comfortable resting and hiding space.
Here are 3 tips to help get your puppy to use a crate;
Introduce your pup to the crate by placing it in your living room or where your family spends most of the time together. Keep your puppy favorite toys and beddings inside the crate. Don’t close the door at first. Let your puppy explore the inside without telling her to. After several days, he will not be afraid of it.
Feed your puppy inside the crate while the door is still wide open. This is to make it appear normal for him to eat inside a crate. After several days, feed him while the door is closed. Do not open the door even if they while around.
Start conditioning him to stay inside for longer periods even without feeding them. Gradually increase the time you lock him inside. They will get used to staying inside the crate.
We hope to have covered everything you need to know about dog crates and answered all your questions. It’s up to you to buy the right crate for your dog. All the dog crates we have reviewed here are the best and top-rated and will be worth the money. Happy Shopping!
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Best Dog Nail Clippers Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Dog Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 10 Best Dog Training Collar Reviews and Buyer Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)