10 Best Dog Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide 2019
Buying the best dog collar doesn’t seem to be challenging at first. After all, it is just a piece of nylon or leather with feature attachment points and adjustability. There shouldn’t be a big problem picking the best one, right?
However, although choosing your dog collar should not be a million dollar question, the fact is that you cannot just head to Amazon and pick the first one that you see. You will need to consider a couple of factors including material, size, comfort and also your dog’s preference.
This is why we saw it wise to have a comprehensive guide on buying the best dog collar 2019. Are you ready for this? Then buckle up for a long read.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Buying the best dog collar
What Are the Factors You Need to Keep In Mind?
Safety and Responsibility
A dog collar should not cause harm; it is meant to discourage certain behaviors. Therefore, you need to avoid traditional “shock collars” as they are inhumane. Instead, go for collars that deliver vibration, tone, and other humane stimulation.
Ensure the dog collar you buy feature control of stimulation technology (COS) for optimal safety. The owner can select either a vibration or tone.
Size and Temperament of Your Dog
A dog collar will not work as required if it doesn’t fit properly. While most of them are adjustable, you will need to make sure you don’t buy a collar designed for larger dog breeds if you have a smaller dog breed or vice versa.
Also, keep in mind that stubborn dogs or larger dogs need more stimulation. However, too much stimulation can be counterproductive. Read the description of the dog training collar in question to make sure it is powerful enough, yet still humane for your dog.
How far do you allow your dog to roam? Most dog collars on the market have a standard range of a ½ mile. However, you can opt for more if you intend to give your dog more area to roam. Too much range is never a problem, but too little could be. There are dog training collars with ranges of even 1 mile.
The most common dog collar material is leather and nylon. So which is the best material for a dog collar?
Nylon is the most popular dog collar material because it is cheap and comes in multiple lovely colors. It is also lightweight making it an attractive option for puppies and small dog breed.
Leather, on the other hand, is quite pricey, but it is more durable and withstands for a longer time. However, you need to keep in mind what makes a collar last for a long time is the care you put into it. If you take good care of a dog collar made of nylon, it can last for years.
Regarding safety and comfort, both nylon and leather are comfy. However, nylon can stretch and get a strangulation hazard because it tangles instead of breaking when a lot of force is applied to it or when it gets caught on something. Leather, on the other hand, can break when a lot of force is put into it. However, it tends to be stronger.
Overall, both have their pros and cons, and in the end, the choice is yours. Nylon is cheap but not as durable and softer as leather.
Type of Dog Collar
This is another important thing to consider. There are different types of dog collars, and therefore you need to know the best one for your dog. Here are the common types of dog collars;
Standard Dog Collar
This is a simple collar that comes with either a buckle snap or a breakaway snap. A collar with a breakaway snap is better as it releases quickly, which is useful if your puppy or dog gets stuck on something. It helps prevent strangling and choking. Those with buckle snaps takes more to get undone.
This collar comes with a leash in an all-in-one design. Instead of the metal snap hook, it includes a stopper to prevent your dog from slipping out of it easily. They are great when you are walking your dog outdoor as it helps correct it. When he gets distracted, you simply grab its hook and bring back to track easily.
This type of collar is electric and uses a remote to control a dog’s collar. The collar makes a slight vibration to alert your dog. It is great for training your dog and can be great for outdoor walks as you can call your dog back when it starts wandering.
These are the best collars for dogs with slim necks such as the Afghan hound and Greyhounds. It is designed for dogs that have a habit of slipping out of their collars. With a martingale collar on, it is quite impossible for your dog to pull it out as it closes gently on your dog’s neck when he attempts to pull it forward or back up with the intention of removing it.
A custom collar can serve both as a decorative fashion as well as a training tool. A personalized dog collar can bear the name of your dog on it, as well as your contact information. Therefore, in case your dog roam far away from home, someone who finds him can contact you or bring him home safely.
These are metallic in nature and come with prongs which helps to tame a dog. In case your dog tries to pull on the leash, the prongs tighten around the neck. They are usually used as punishment training tools since they cause pain. They help correct a particular behavior.
However, on the downsides, these collars do not address the cause of your dog’s negative behavior. It will make your dog obey at the time it has it on, but will not likely learn from it. For training, it is better to use positive reinforcement training and other types of collars, but not this one.
This collar uses GPS technology to help you locate your dog in case he gets lost.
This collar acts as punishment collar as well. It emits an electric shock to alert your dog that he is doing something you don’t like or you disapprove, such as excessive barking. Again, if you are concerned about a long-term solution, use this collar alongside other positive reinforcement training. If you use this collar for a long time, it might cause stress to your dog and also increase its aggressive behavior.
Are you buying a dog collar for an adult dog or puppy?
Because of their inquisitive nature, puppies need a flat breakaway collar than the traditional buckle type. This is down to the fact that they are more playful and energetic and their collars tend to get stuck in twigs and branches.
Adult dogs can be more behaved, and you can use any collar on them since they are used to wearing them. They don’t tend to scratch at them or pull as much.
Vinyl and leather make the best waterproof dog collars. For dogs that like getting wet a lot or spend most of their time outside, you should consider buying collars that are made out of waterproof materials.
With a waterproof collar, your dog can venture in wet weather. If your dog likes swimming, this is a necessity.
If you like walking with your dog at night or even afternoon in winter, you need to get a dog collar with a reflective or light material. This allows you to keep track of your dog when he is a few meters ahead of you. More importantly, a reflective collar allows motorists and other people to see your pooch or pup as well.
Dog Collar vs. Dog Harness? Which Should You Buy?
If you know that your dog is well behaved and well-trained, then a dog collar and simple dog leash are all you need.
We do not recommend prolonged usage of shock or choke collars as a method of training or punishing your dog. Even for dogs with aggressive behavior, these shock collars can be dangerous and harmful for your dog.
If your pooch frequently lunges when walking or continually pulls on a leash, he may be a good candidate for a harness. Some small breeds like Chihuahuas are quite delicate, and you shouldn’t subject them to a collar all the time.
If you are unsure about what is the best option for a pooch, just err on the dog harness side.
Getting the Size Right
When deciding on the right size of a dog collar, a good rule of thumb to follow is to add 2 inches to the circumference of your dog’s neck. Use a clothing tape measure to get your dog’s neck measurement.
Getting the measurement right is important for your dog’s comfort and safety. If the collar gets too tight, your dog can have breathing problems and cause a lot of discomforts. If it gets too loose, it can cause your dog to get entangled or caught on objects or even fall off.
To ensure a collar fit perfectly, your two fingers should fit under it. This keeps the collar comfortable, but loose enough to not interrupt breathing.
You also need to consider the width of the collar. The wider the collar, the more restrictive and heavier it will be. Smaller dog breeds and puppies should be fitted with narrower collars while larger dog breeds are better suited to thicker collars.
It is important to regularly check the fit of the collar with the 2 finger rule as your dog changes weight.
You now have all the information you need to choose the best dog collar for your furry friend. Here are the top 10 best dog collars you can choose from;
Features That Make Pop View New Version Humane Bark Collar Stand Out
- This is a new model from Pop View that’s reputable for its amazing futuristic design and is one of the best dog silencers in the market
- It boasts a sensor to monitor your dog’s vocals meaning that other nearby dogs will not trigger it
- This is a very basic bark collar that begins by producing sounds when your dog starts to back unnecessarily then progresses to vibration stimuli when the barking persists
- The model has no shock unit that emits the sounds and vibrations that your dog will easily associate with
- This is the best vibrating dog collar in the market that comes in a universal size so that you can easily adjust to your dog’s neck
- Better yet, it’s an all-weather collar featuring a nylon web which is impervious to rain and even high temperatures of up to 450 F degrees
Proc of Pop View New Version Humane Bark Collar
- It is user-friendly with a long-lasting battery
- It is a no shock bark collar
- Affordable price
- Multiple control option from both a remote and phone
Conc of Pop View New Version Humane Bark Collar
- Small breeds may find it a bit larger
Why We Recommend It
This pop view collar is user-friendly with a long-lasting battery and effective at calming a dog, and this is evident from consumer reviews. The good thing is that it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee to offer satisfaction. If the collar doesn’t restore peace in your home, the company offers a 100% refund of your purchase within the period.
Features That Make The Best Industries Bark Collar Stand Out
- This newly released bark collar for small breed dogs from The Best Industries is the new craze on Amazon
- Boasting an IPX6 waterproof bark control collar, the model will keep the annoying barking of your dog controlled
- This is the best dog collar 2019 offering 5 levels of bark control with the great news is you do not have to set the levels
- Once the intelligent bark collar detects the bark, it administers a tone, and the impulse will increase by levels if barking persists
- You can adjust the sensitivity of the detector to ensure that it can differentiate annoying barks from minor whines
- One of the best-highlighted features in this bark collar is the intelligent barking detection chip that ensures that other dogs in the vicinity do not trigger it
Proc of The Best Industries Bark Collar
- Comes with 5 levels of bark detection and adjustable sensitivity settings
- Has a waterproof construction
- Long lasting battery
Conc of The Best Industries Bark Collar
- Does not have a remote
Why We Recommend It
This bark collar comes with an electric shock and beep mode with adjustability to the sensitivity settings. This ensures that your dog receives a shock that suits their size which is an important feature.
Features That Make DogRook No Bark Vibrating Collar Stand Out
- This no bark collar from DogRook automatically detects your dog barking and emits an audible warning tone after the first 2 barks
- The 3rd bark comes with a light vibration, and the intensity increases up to the 7th bark where the cycle resets and begin again
- The DogRook No Bark Collar offers neat features such as the reflective stripes to enhance your dog’s visibility in the dark
- This is best suited to small and medium breed dogs with a bark control chip so that it doesn’t react to barking from other dogs
- This is an affordable dog collar that features an inbuilt receiver to protect your dog from shocks
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty to customers which is a sign of high quality
Proc of DogRook No Bark Vibrating Collar
- Has 7 customized vibration levels
- It’s waterproof
- Has a 1-year warranty
Conc of DogRook No Bark Vibrating Collar
- Some dogs appear to love the vibration sound and bark more
Why We Recommend It
Most pet owners with this dog collar are happy with this product with most praising its efficacy. You get a free training eBook so that you can make the best use of this collar. While some dogs seem to get entertained by this collar, it may vary from dog to dog which is why we included it in our list.
Features That Make GoTags Personalized Dog Collar Stand Out
- This is the first custom embroidered dog collar in the list from GoTags and offers a range of amazing features
- This has a durable nylon material that is weatherproof and comfortable for your pet
- The collar comes in 4 sizes from small to large breeds with all the sizes adjustable to suit your dog size
- The Nylon band comes in 5 colors with 15 different embroidery thread color options helping you identify your dog from a distance
- This is a comfortable dog collar that with a stainless steel D ring for leash and tag attachment and a secure plastic release buckle to ensure an easy and quick release
- The company offers a 60-day money guarantee to offer customer satisfaction
Proc of GoTags Personalized Dog Collar
- Bright and readable from far
- Has a comfortable fabric
- Has 60-day money back guarantee
Conc of GoTags Personalized Dog Collar
- The plastic buckle may be easy to snap for some dogs
Why We Recommend It
If you’re looking for a pet ID dog collar that is great looking, then this is a customizable collar that will look great on your dog. It has a plastic clip which is another attractive feature especially in a sticky situation where the leash gets caught, and all you have to do is squeeze the plastic for an easy release.
Features That Make Pop View Upgrade Version Bark Collar Stand Out
- This is a robust version of a static shock collar that comes with 7 adjustable levels to give a sense of control over the training experience
- A fantastic feature in this best vibrating dog collar is the 2019 upgrade intelligent chip that prevents false triggering – only your dog barking can trigger a vibration
- This is a harmless dog collar that offers 7 adjustable sensitivity levels as well as 3 training modes – sound, vibration and static shock to give you full control of your pet’s life
- This is a suitable anti-bark device for dogs between 6 and 120 lbs. meaning it fits small and large dogs
- It is USB rechargeable with an inbuilt 280 Ma Li-on battery that can last up to 2 weeks of regular use
- This device is rainproof and comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee
Proc of Pop View Upgrade Version Bark Collar
- Has 7 adjustable levels of sensitivity
- Has three training modes
- Has money back guarantee
Conc of Pop View Upgrade Version Bark Collar
- The training modes may respond to other sounds in the environment
Why We Recommend It
Featuring 7 adjustable levels of sensitivity and three training modes, this barking control collar is made for pet owners who like to control their pet’s life. What’s more, this best bark control collar is affordable and comes with a money back guarantee. However, you may have to ensure that there are no other dogs around as this collar may respond to other dog barks.
Features That Make Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Collar Stand Out
- This collar features a nylon fabric and high-density webbing making it durable and great looking
- This simple collar comes with a plastic buckle that’s easy for you to open and a D-ring that’s Chrome coated metal
- This is among the waterproof dog collars to buy with the company known for their fashion items all which have received praise as sturdy and long lasting
- The dog collar comes in 6 different pastel variations and is built to offer comfort to your dog
- This is among the best Pet ID dog collars to consider featuring reflective threads to ensure your dog’s visibility and safety in low light conditions
- Note that this collar does not stretch, and hence you need to measure your dog carefully before making a purchase
Proc of Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Collar
- Has a sturdy nylon material that makes it waterproof
- Has 3M reflective threads for night safety
- The collar affordable yet extremely durable
Conc of Blueberry Pet Classic Solid Color Dog Collar
- Small dogs may find the buckle too bulky
Why We Recommend It
This is a sound option if you need an affordable dog collar that’s waterproof and fashionable. It comes with durable material and has reflective threads that ensure safety at night. What’s more, you will get the ideal size and color for your dog.
Features That Make Kurgo Muck Collar Waterproof Dog Collar Stand Out
- This is a waterproof collar made from sturdy but comfortable webbing and features a flexible coating
- This is one of the highest rated dog collars the features a sleek design that’s fashionable and long lasting
- For dogs that love to swim and roll in muddy outdoor areas, this is a sound pick as it doesn’t pick dirt or bacteria
- It is easy to clean under water in seconds, and it never absorbs odors
- For pet owners who like to reveal a dog’s personality, this collar comes in a variety of fun designs to choose the ideal one for your dog’s personality
- It has a superb buckle closure as well as hardware that is rust-free
- The small dog collar fits a dog with a neck of 10 – 14 inches
Proc of Kurgo Muck Collar Waterproof Dog Collar
- Is durable and PVC free
- Repels odor, dirt, and moisture
- Has a lifetime warranty
Conc of Kurgo Muck Collar Waterproof Dog Collar
- May have some corrosion
Why We Recommend It
This is among the best dog collars for an outdoor adventure featuring 3 adjustable sizes to fit your dog size. It is tough and sturdy and doesn’t pick up dirt. The easy to clean collar comes in an exciting variety of patterns to choose from.
Features That Make Perri’s Padded Leather Collar Stand Out
- This is our top recommendation for a leather dog color due to its high quality
- Your dog will love wearing this collar made from soft lambskin padding that feels exceptionally comfortable
- This is one of the best leather dog collar having been made in the US which is the main reason behind its high quality
- It comes in two versions – Black and Brown. The black version boasts stainless steel studs and buckles while the brown one features brass
- Both options are long lasting and durable as long as they are cared for correctly
- For pet owners who need a classic collar that will look great on their dog, the Perri’s is a stylish pick
- Apart from the black and brown options, you can choose additional colors such as blue, orange and pink which complement the traditional leather design
- You have 5 sizes to choose from for this dog collar with the smallest being suitable for dogs with neck sizes down to 8” and the largest up to 25.””
- Note that this is a leather collar that needs regular moisturizing for maintenance to prevent cracking – Consider using a dog harness to prevent stretching
Proc of Perri’s Padded Leather Collar
- Made of soft yet durable lambskin
- Has a range of colors to choose from
- Has rounded edges that won’t hurt your dog
Conc of Perri’s Padded Leather Collar
- It should have a second ring for securing added material
Why We Recommend It
The Perri’s Padded Leather collar is durable, comfortable and stylish. While it’s not the cheapest leather dog collar, it offers excellent value for money.
Features That Make Custom Catch Personalized Dog Collar Stand Out
- This is yet another leather collar but the custom Catch Personalized collar is not traditional
- The amazing feature of this collar is that it names and phone number can be engraved to make it easier to identify your dog
- The collar has been made from soft leather with the width varying depending on the size of the collar
- One thing you will like about this dog collar is that the writing is directly opposite from the D-ring leash and this makes the text easily visible on the back of your dog’s neck
- The inexpensive leather collar comes in 3 different colors, red, blue and pink with four sizes available to choose from
- This is the best dog collar for puppies as the smallest size is suitable for dogs with a neck size of 8.5 inches. For large dogs, the largest size fits dogs with neck sizes of up to 22 inches
- Its soft construction is what your dog will love while the engraved contact details will make it easier to find your dog
Proc of Custom Catch Personalized Dog Collar
- Can be engraved with dog’s name and contact details
- There are various attractive colors to choose from
Conc of Custom Catch Personalized Dog Collar
- The leather may feel a little stiff at first
Why We Recommend It
This leather dog collar is suitable for dogs that like to go outdoors as it does look great on dogs. Not only this, the collar can be engraved with the name of the dog and your contact details which means you will have peace of mind. The good thing is your dog will love the comfortable feel that this leather collar brings.
Features That Make PetSafe Stay and Play Fence Collar Stand Out
- This is a suitable wireless fence collar for stubborn and hard to train dogs
- The PetSafe Stay and Play collar comes with 5 adjustable levels to include tone only function making it a sure way to restrict your dog
- One amazing feature of this collar is it’s rechargeable and hence a cool option if you need such
- It covers up to ¾ square acre area surface and goes up to 105 feet tall in all directions
- It offers expandable functionality giving you the options to add an infinite number of pets to the system
- Its portability makes it an impressive device as you can carry it with you wherever you go
- The best-highlighted feature of this best wireless fence collar is that it’s fully adjustable to fit any dog breed
- This collar features a design that is water, dirt and dustproof
Proc of PetSafe Stay and Play Fence Collar
- Allows adding other canines to the system
- Water and dirt proof
- It’s easily portable
Conc of PetSafe Stay and Play Fence Collar
- It may not be reliable over uneven terrain
Why We Recommend It
If you need your pet to cover more ground while keeping it inside an invisible fence, Stay, and Play is the best invisible dog fence with only minor nitpicks just like any other dog fence. Another feature that makes it suitable is that you can add other pooches within a single boundary which makes it suitable for owners with more than one canine.
There could be hundreds of different types of dog collars on the market. With these many choices, choosing the right one may feel like a daunting task. The information on our buyer’s guide will help you decide which the best collar for your dog is. Arming yourself with the right information makes it easier for you to narrow down your choices.
Choosing the right dog collar for your dog will make it easier for him to get used to wearing a collar since it is comfortable for them. With the above best dog collars, you cannot go wrong choosing the best one for your pooch. We hope you have found the right dog collar on our list.
You May Also Interested In:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)