10 Best Wet Dog Foods Reviews and Buyer Guide 2019
When you are looking for best wet dog foods to buy, you may get inundated. This is because of the many different varieties of wet dog foods on the market. To help make it easier for you, we have created a list of the top best dog foods you can choose from. But before we review them, we need to enlighten you more on how to choose the best wet dog foods.
As you know, dogs are humans’ best friend, and they are a part of our families. Being part of our families, we always want the best for them. They are our companion, and on top of catering for their health needs, we should also take care of their stomach needs.
By feeding them with foods that have a balanced diet, they will develop stronger and leaner muscles and have a shiny coat and skin.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
So, What Are Some of the Benefits of Wet Dog Foods?
Today’s dog foods are quality, and you can serve your dog with a blend of different foods including chicken, lamb, beef, nutritious grains, and vegetables. All these foods which play their role in ensuring balanced nutrition for your dog.
Though dry foods are considered a healthy option, wet dog foods are healthy and better alternative too. Here is why;
They Are Easier to Chew
Many dog owners shy away from giving their dog’s wet foods. This is because they are worried that these foods are not giving their dog’s adequate nutrition. Others worry that they will harm their dog’s teeth.
However, high-quality wet dog food can offer your furry friend balanced nutrition to maintain his health in all stages of development. In fact, feeding your wet dog food has not been proven to have any harm to your dog’s dental health. For older dogs with gum and teeth issues, wet foods may be easier for them to eat than dry food.
It Is a Healthier Option For Growing Dogs
You may ask when are wet foods better than dry dog foods? And the answer is during puppyhood. During this time, your dog needs more protein to grow stronger and leaner muscles. And typically, wet foods have more protein as compared to dry foods.
Dry dog food also contains healthier grains such as oat and rice, which aids with digestion in older dogs.
They Are More Nutritious, and you can preserve them For Longer Time
Brands making wet dog food uses plentiful of meat and vegetables to offer your dog more vitamins and minerals for it to stay healthy. Real lamb, beef, chicken, and nutritious vegetables and grains also provide your dog with the needed nutrients.
Besides, wet foods are easier to store for a longer time than dry food. The reason being; they mostly come in cans and thus do not need preservatives to retain their freshness.
How Did We Find The Best Wet Dog Foods We Have Discussed Here?
We only review the best of the best on the market. We identify the best products not by going through what everyone has recommended but by what the experts are saying. We all consider what individual dog owners who have used the products have said about a product.
Once we have identified the best products, we come up with a review article. Not to mention that we guide our readers on how to choose the best wet dog foods by including a buyer’s guide before the products.
For new pet parents, our buyer’s guide below contains more valuable information about wet dog foods. This will help you make an informed decision regarding the wet dog foods you should buy.
This guide contains all you need to know about wet dog food, and it will also help you make the best decision.
How to Choose the Best Wet Dog Foods for Your Furry Friend
Consider Your Dog’s Preference
Always ask yourself, what does my dog like? What food does he like to eat? Some dogs are picky eaters, and you could end up with a bunch of dog food that remains uneaten.
Therefore, before you hit that buy button on Amazon, always remember that your furry friend has his unique nutritional and dietary needs. Thus whatever is regarded by others as best wet dog food might not really suit your dog.
They might have their special requirements and sensitivities that you need to bear in mind before blindly purchasing the said dog food.
Consider Your Budget
Wet dog foods are much pricier than dry kibble, and thus you need to keep this in mind during the selection process.
If budget is an issue, you may need to consider mixing a little of dry food with wet dog food for your canine friend.
However, always avoid starting your dog with the most expensive food as it takes time for them to get used to other flavors.
It would be a loss if you purchased large quantities of the most expensive dog food and then he/she finds it undesirable.
Opt for affordable foods fast before going to more pricey brands.
Check the Ingredients
The first thing you need to check before buying your preferred dog food is the list of ingredients. Make sure they are all natural and that the nutrients are well balanced. You will also need to make sure that the dog food in question has no additives or artificial flavorings.
Here are things you need to ensure they are in your wet dog food;
These should rank as the first ingredients in any wet dog food. It should always have a label indicating lamb, beef, chicken, etc. This is because these are the ones that help with the formation of lean muscles.
You need to look out for unprocessed and whole grains. Although it is not important to have grains in your wet dog food, you are bound to find them. This is because they provide your dog with enough energy. It is always better to go for those foods with wild rice or brown rice; avoid those with wheat gluten as much as possible.
Dog food containing non-starchy vegetables such as apples, alfalfa, and carrots are the best fruits and veggies to have in wet food. The inclusion of sweet potatoes and potatoes is also acceptable as long as they are not the primary ingredients.
Ensure It Is Labelled “Complete And Balanced”
Dog food with a label indicating ‘complete and balanced’ usually has passed the AAFCO tests. However, by being labeled as complete and balanced should not be approved for best wet dog feeds. You also need to check the ingredients. Some brands hide behind this phrase to trick customers into buying their products.
Ingredients You Should Avoid
There are a lot of brands making dog foods on the market, and it might be hard to choose the best one. However, one way to narrow down your choices is to avoid products with any of these ingredients;
If you see a brand selling their food at a throwaway price, possibly it is because they have used meat by-products or modified beef as their source of protein. These are processed low-nutrient proteins that will be of little or no help to your dog. You should avoid products that have used by-products at all costs.
Unnamed animal sources
If a brand cannot disclose their sources of proteins, you shouldn’t offer it to your beloved pets. Don’t buy feeds from unidentified organs or poultry.
Quality wet dog food tastes good and doesn’t need sweeteners to taste great. However, low-quality ones are added sweeteners to enhance their taste. While molasses and sugar are the common sweeteners, avoid food with corn syrup in them.
While most high-quality wet dog foods do not need preservatives, the low-quality ones tend to add preservatives and color in them. It is best to avoid them because you are not aware of the color source.
We are almost winding up our buyer’s guide. To wind it up and review the best wet dog food, let’s discuss 3 things you need to keep in mind when feeding your dog wet food;
- If you are thinking about introducing wet food to your dog, you need to transit it over several days gradually. The switch should be done slowly by feeding them a little less of wet food alongside dry food. This is because, if you immediately switch from dry to wet food, your dog may develop digestive problems.
- Unlike kibble, wet dog foods should not be left out for long periods. Ensure to refrigerate any leftovers.
- Some dogs are also more prone to dental issues or plaques when they eat wet food. Therefore, you may want to brush their teeth regularly or give them a dental chew to reduce plaque buildup.
With that, we can now review the top 10 best wet dog foods on the market;
Features That Make Cesar Classic Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- It comes in different variety packs to give your dog a choice. There are many flavors to choose from
- It provides complete and balanced nutrition for your adult dog
- This savory wet dog food is fortified with minerals and vitamins that help dogs of all sizes to stay healthy
- It has steak flavors and fillet mignon flavors for dogs that enjoy varieties
Proc of Cesar Classic Wet Dog Food
- It comes in 24 packages of 3.5 ounces each making it ideal for single serving. This saves you from hassles of refrigerating large cans
- It comes at affordable prices
- It offers complete and balanced nutrition for your dog
Conc of Cesar Classic Wet Dog Food
- Although suited for dogs of all sizes and breeds, this savory dog food suits smaller dog breeds. They are ideal for bigger dog breeds, but they will still be great
Why We Recommend It
Cesar Classic Wet Dog Food is the ideal wet dog food for your small furry friend. Coming in servings of 3.5 ounces, these trays can be served as treats or complementary to dry foods. It comes in small trays that are easy to open.
They come in different flavors including duck, turkey, and chicken. Even the pickiest eaters will find a flavor they would like.
One more reason we recommend it is because it is affordable and quality as well.
Features That Make Rachael Ray Natural Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- This savory dog food is fortified with vitamins and minerals to give your dog all the needed nutrients
- This dog food has real meat including turkey, duck, lamb, chicken, etc. as its main ingredient
- It has no wheat, soy, or corn
- This food has no fillers or meat by-products, and thus you can be assured your dog is feeding quality meals
- Recipes from Racheal’s kitchen inspire the flavors
Proc of Rachael Ray Natural Wet Dog Food
- It is available in multiple delicious flavors
- All the ingredients are completely natural
- It doesn’t contain preservatives or artificial flavors
- This dog food is quite affordable
- It has plenty of minerals and vitamins in it
Conc of Rachael Ray Natural Wet Dog Food
- It may cause digestive problems due to high protein levels
- Some dogs don’t like the flavors
Why We Recommend It
When it comes to wet dog food, Rachael Ray Natural Wet Dog Food has received a lot of positive reviews and high rating. It is inexpensive and thus suitable for people with limited budgets. It is also available in different flavors. This include Chicken Mutt balls with Pasta, Beef Stroganwoof, Hearty Beef Stew, and much more.
This dog food doesn’t contain any preservatives or artificial flavors. It is also free of wheat, soy, and corn. This is a high-quality dog food you will definitely want to invest.
Features That Make Purina Beneful Adult Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- The main ingredient is real beef, chicken, and lamb. This means that this food is not only delicious but also high-quality
- There are 6 packs, and thus you have an option to choose from different recipes
- It contains real whole grains, peas, and carrots. This helps to meet your dog’s dietary needs
- It is also fortified with vitamins and minerals to help your dog have an active lifestyle
- The chunks are medium-sized to help your dog chew and digest it easily
Proc of Purina Beneful Adult Wet Dog Food
- It contains whole, natural ingredients
- This dog food has real meat as its main ingredients
- Comes in a variety of flavors
- It is soft for better consumption
- It smells like homemade food
Conc of Purina Beneful Adult Wet Dog Food
- It has added coloring
- Water is among the primary ingredients
- It is relatively priced high as compared to other wet dog foods
Why We Recommend It
Purina Beneful Adult Wet Dog Food is one of the most nutritious dog foods in the market with higher protein levels that suits puppies and larger dog breeds. However, the portions for puppies should not be the same as those of large breeds.
In addition, the Purina Beneful offers you different recipes to mix things up for your dog. It is definitely one of the best wet dog food for puppies.
Features That Make Cesar Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- This dog food has balanced nutrients and minerals needed for the dietary needs of adult dogs
- It has minerals and vitamins. This is beneficial for dogs of all ages, including puppies
- There are many varieties of flavor for your pooch. This is great for dogs with refined tastes
- It has a fresh smell thanks to easy-to-peal seals, which makes the food easily consumable
- It provides complete and balanced nutrition for your dog thanks to the excellent blending of minerals, vitamins, and meat
- Protein, which is the primary ingredient in this food, comes from whole meats such as poultry and beef
Proc of Cesar Wet Dog Food
- It comes in several flavors and varieties
- This food is fortified with minerals and vitamins
- It is easy to mix with dry dog food
- It is served in trays and not cans
- Made with real, whole meat
Conc of Cesar Wet Dog Food
- Water is one of the primary ingredients
- It is not suitable for large dog breeds
Why We Recommend It
Though there can be a little risk of choking, you can mix it with dry food. Its ideal balance of nutrients helps in keeping your pooch energetic. Therefore, for this reason, you can purchase this food and try it on your dog.
Features That Make Nature’s Recipe Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- This Nature’s Recipe formula comes in various flavors such as Chicken in Broth, chicken and wild salmon, chicken and Venison, chicken and turkey in broth and chicken and duck
- The recipe boasts a 61% protein content which makes it outstanding among most other wet dog foods from top brands
- The first ingredient is Chicken which is the primary source of protein, and the fourth ingredient is salmon for added protein and fatty acids
- The formula has chicken fat which is a quality fat source and offers omega 3 fatty acid for a smooth and shiny coat and improved heart functioning
- This is a grain and gluten free recipe to ensure your dog doesn’t suffer from allergies
- It’s the best wet dog food to mix with dry food and can also be used as a snack
- The fat content is, however, lower as compared to other best dog food for small breeds
- The dog food has easy-to-digest carbohydrates including brown rice
- The product has chelated minerals to make it easier to absorb the proteins
Proc of Nature’s Recipe Wet Dog Food
- Has high protein content which adds nutrition
- High in fiber
- Has a low amount of carbs for a healthy digestive system
Conc of Nature’s Recipe Wet Dog Food
- The dog food has lower fat content for some breeds
Why We Recommend It
Looking at the ingredients, your dog is going to find the chicken in the chicken broth delicious. The company has a clean record in its reputation, and the formula has desirable proportions of nutrients which makes it a favorite among pet owners. Picky eaters will find it easier to eat their kibble with this pack as a topping.
Features That Make Purina Beyond Ground Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- Your dog has the DNA of a wolf; hence, it would be unfair to offer them food with grains
- This grain-free formula has a chicken ingredient as the number one which is why most dogs enjoy it
- The wet dog food has all-natural ingredients as well vitamins and minerals
- The gluten-free wet dog food is made with wholesome veggies such as carrots and peas
- Remember to observe the right quantities when feeding your furry friend with this food as they may end up overeating
- With this dog food, you do not have to worry about artificial fillers such as flavors and colors as the company has been offering a significant amount of nutrients for each serving
- There are sweet potatoes in this formula to make it delicious and nutritionally beneficial to your canine
Proc of Purina Beyond Ground Wet Dog Food
- Boasts high-quality content
- It’s budget friendly
- Has amazing ingredients
Conc of Purina Beyond Ground Wet Dog Food
- Some customers reported that their dog didn’t like the dog food
Why We Recommend It
For dogs that have a problem adjusting to kibble, this is a suitable option to trick them. Purina Beyond has used all natural ingredients and infused with minerals and vitamins to offer a tasty and nutritionally balanced meal for your furry friend. As such, this is the dog food that your dog craves for.
Features That Make PEDIGREE Dinner Adult Wet Dog Food Stand Out
- Pedigree chopped meaty dinner comes in a range of flavors including Bacon, Beef, and Cheese, filet mignon, chopped chicken just to mention a few
- Boasting a protein content of 36% percent, you can be sure that your pet gets quality protein to aid in strong growth
- However, this recipe includes chicken by-products which are not desirable, but protein content is still high
- The product has healthy fats and vegetable oils which form a good source of fatty acids for your pooch
- Pedigree Meaty Dinner has 28% of carbs which is considered ideal for growing dogs
- The ingredients used in this best-wet dog food for small breeds are easy to digest
- It is meaty ground hence you can expect your dog to have chunky beef, bacon, and cheese
Proc of PEDIGREE Dinner Adult Wet Dog Food
- The product ships quickly
- This dog food is pocket-friendly
- It opens quickly
Conc of PEDIGREE Dinner Adult Wet Dog Food
- A few customers said that can seem to arrive dented
Why We Recommend It
If you need a budget-friendly dog food, this is an ideal choice for you. It offers sufficient protein content and fatty acid for smooth and shiny coat. What’s more, the product comes quickly when you order and isn’t too hard to open the cans. Although there could be chicken by-products, the protein quality is similar to other top brands dog food.
Features That Make Taste of the Wild High Prairie Recipe Stand Out
- This meal has roasted bison as the number one ingredient to offer protein for strong lean muscle growth and amino acids for a shiny coat
- This best dog food for senior dogs has added vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables to boost the immune system of your dog
- The grain free dog food is based on a dog’s ancestral and high protein sources to enhance the healthy development
- Those tasty morsels offer quality carbs like peas and sweet potatoes which are a rich source of fiber and are essential in maintaining enough energy for your dog
- This formula provides enough antioxidants which are good to protect your pooch from diseases and infections
- Every bite of this dog formula is enriched with probiotics to ensure proper digestion
Proc of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Recipe
- This dog food is pocket-friendly
- Grain free
- Offers plenty of antioxidants
- Has probiotics
Conc of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Recipe
- Has a chicken byproduct which may be allergic to some dogs
Why We Recommend It
This tasty dog meal is well suited to dogs that are prone to allergies though some dogs may not get well along with the chicken ingredient. The formula offers sufficient proteins and has natural complex carbs to maintain your dog’s energy levels. The recipe provides balanced fat levels which makes it ideal dog food for weight loss.
Features That Make Purina Moist and Meaty Food Stand Out
- This dog food contains real meat and no artificial fillers – it can be offered as a moist or dry meal
- This meal can either serve as a top-up or main meal
- It comes in various flavors to choose from so that your dog gets the ideal flavor
- This dog food is nutritious for dogs of all ages
- This formula is suitable for picky eaters as the different flavors will offer your dog the sweetness of the meal
- This is a whole meal that contains healthy nutrients that your dog might be craving
- The recipe has chunks of meat so that your dog enjoys the real taste of meat
- The Purina Moist and Meaty dog food offers enhanced convenience to your dog as they will not experience any mess
Proc of Purina Moist and Meaty Food
- Offers a complete balanced nutrition
- It is multipurpose – a snack, top up or main meal
- Contains a mix of healthy vitamins
- Stays fresh for long
Conc of Purina Moist and Meaty Food
- May not be ideal for picky eaters
- Some customers said that the meal lasted for a few days after being opened
Why We Recommend It
Made with real beef, this flavorful meal offers complete and balanced nutrition for your dog to ensure they keep wagging the tail. Better yet, the recipe is convenient as you can use it as a snack, top up or main meal. It offers easy-to-chew meat pieces which your dog will find so tasty. So you can open a no-mess pouch of this dog food and turn it into a success story.
Features That Make Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Stand Out
- This dog food is an ideal choice for dogs with sensitive digestive systems
- The grain-free formula is packed with high-quality protein from chicken and turkey to ensure healthy growth of the lean muscles
- It has delicate carbohydrates from sweet potatoes which your dog will find delicious and easy to digest for your dog
- This brand is known to include eggs which are nutritious and offer added protein content for the growth of your dog
- This meal contains no wheat, soy, and corn to prevent allergies for dogs with stomach sensitivities
- There are chelated minerals attached to the proteins to make them easy to absorb to offer value
- This dog food is made in the US with natural and fresh ingredients
- This whole earth farms dog food is pocket-friendly as compared to other wet dog food
- The formula has probiotics
Proc of Whole Earth Farms Grain Free
- The ingredients used are suitable for dogs of all ages
- This is a grain free recipe to make it easy to digest
- It is from a USA manufacturer
- Has no additives
Conc of Whole Earth Farms Grain Free
- A few dogs may suffer from allergies after consuming this dog food mainly due to the chicken ingredient
Why We Recommend It
The reason why we like this dog food is due to its affordability as compared to other top brands. Not only this, this dog food has been manufactured in the USA which is a bonus if you’re looking for high-quality ingredients. Lastly, there are multiple protein sources in this dog food to make it ideal for your dog.
Now, we have enlightened you on how to choose the best wet dog foods 2019 and reviewed the top 10 best on the market. It is our hope that you can make a wise decision based on the knowledge you have gained from our detailed guide.
To finalize, here is a quick recap on what you should look out for. When it comes to buying dog food, you need to keep several things in mind. This include; the presence of natural and wholesome ingredients, a good balance of fats, proteins, vitamins, fiber, and minerals, as well as the exclusion of artificial colors and flavors.
You should not compromise when it comes to buying wet dog food.
This is why we advise you on the proven products you should buy for your dog so that they can keep wagging their tails happily.
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Best Puppy Foods for Large Breed Review and Guide
- 10 Best Puppy Foods for Small Breed Review and Guide
- 10 Best Dry Dog Foods Review and Guide
- 5 Best Dog Foods Contain Taurine Review and Guide
- 10 Best Dog Probiotics Reviews and Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)