8 Best Dog Dewormers Reviews and Buying Guide 2019
Most people have the belief that since their indoor dogs are eating clean and healthy foods, they will not contract worms and other parasites that attack dogs. Unfortunately, dogs often contract worms. If not treated, they can make your dog’s health deteriorate. And while these uncanny parasites can cause complications for your canine companion, most are very easy to treat. You just need the best dog dewormer to clear the whole infestation in the bodies.
But there is a challenge; finding a quality dog dewormer is not easy since the market is flooded with many dog dewormers that promise great results within a few days. Some do work but with considerable side effects while others are good and will clear the infestation without negatively affecting your dog. But we are here to help you find the best dewormer for your dog.
We will help you do that by recommending top 8 best dog dewormers on the market. And since we know the reviews are not enough, we will also enlighten you more on how to choose the right one for your dogs.
Read our buyer’s guide first to know more about parasites that infest your dog and the best dewormers to clear them.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Signs and Symptoms Indicating Your Dog Is Infested With Worms
It is worth noting that your dog will not necessarily show all of these symptoms. This is why we recommend regular preventative treatment routine to deal with any infestation before your dog falls ill and spread the worms to other dogs and humans.
The main symptoms of worms in dogs include;
- Vomiting. If your dog starts to vomit more often, then that can be a sign of worms. Roundworms often cause dogs to vomit.
- Visible eggs or worms in their feces, fur, or vomit. This is the most apparent sign of worms. Tapeworms often appear in the feces and can be seen moving. However, you may not notice this until the feces have dried. In this case, you will see their eggs look like grains or seed. They also appear in the area near your dog’s rear.
- Persistent scratching. If you see your dog continually rubbing or scratching their rear area, this is a sign of worms. However, if the scratching continues, you need to speak to your vet.
- Increased appetite. Intestinal worms and parasites feed on what your dog eats. To compensate for this loss, your dog tends to eat more.
- Bloated belly or stomach. If you notice your puppies having bloated stomachs, then it could be a sign of tapeworm infestation. Note that puppies can be born with intestinal parasites and worms if the mother had worms while pregnant.
- Blood in stool or diarrhea. There are many causes of diarrhea, such as poor diet and parasites including tapeworms. Bloody diarrhea can either indicate hookworms or severe disease. If you notice that blood is persisting even after giving your pooch quality dewormers, then it is wise that you contact your vet.
- Coughing. Hookworms and roundworms can cause dogs to develop a cough.
- Weight loss or general body weakness. Intestinal parasites and worms eat most of the foods your dog eats. This can cause your dog to shed weight and feel weak over time. However, if these symptoms persist even after administering dewormers, you should talk with your vet.
Common Types of Intestinal Worms in Dogs and How Dogs Get Them
There is no single way upon which dogs get worms and parasites. However, because these intestinal parasites are found in the gastrointestinal tract, they have to pass through the dog’s mouth and digestive tract.
These intestinal parasites are one of the most stubborn and cunning worms. They are of two species- Toxocara Canis and toxascaris leonine. They both absorb nutrients from the gut, and they are white and long in appearance (spaghetti-like). Dogs get infected by roundworms when they ingest something that is contaminated with feces containing roundworm eggs. Once they swallow the eggs, they hatch in their gut, thereby releasing a larva that penetrates the walls of their intestines.
The larvae find its way into the bloodstream where they are transported to the alveoli of the lungs. They crawled up to the airway where they are coughed up and swallowed back. If the dog is pregnant, larvae can reach the placenta and infest unborn puppies. Puppies can also get larvae from dog’s milk.
Dogs can get hookworms in two ways. The first method is through ingesting eggs from something that was contaminated with feces of an infected dog. The second method is quite unique. When eggs in the stool are not ingested by a dog, they hatch larvae after 5 days. These larvae crawl on soil and penetrate dog’s skin in between the paws when a pooch walk on the soil. After it reaches the dermis, it goes into the bloodstream and reaches the lungs, from where they crawl up the airway and are swallowed to the gut. Regardless of the method, they take to get into your dog’s body, hookworms will end up in the colon.
They are generally short and have teeth that help them suck blood. They are aggressive and can lead to loss of weight and cause general body weakness.
These worms have a unique way of getting transmitted as they need an intermediate host. They are spread in the same way other worms are transmitted. When an intermediate host such as a sheep, cattle, pig, or any other host ingest embryo eggs in the feces of an infected dog, the eggs hatch in their intestines. This leads to the formation of larvae, which finds its way to the lung, liver, and other organs. When a dog eats these organ meats in their raw form (that’s without proper cooking and preparation) the larvae are transmitted to dogs, where they mature and hatch eggs.
These worms are longer than other types of intestinal warm, and they live in the small intestines. They rarely harm dogs as healthy dogs can produce enough nutrients to cater for both their body needs and worms. However, very active dogs may experience slight deficiencies in some nutrients.
When an adult whipworm lays eggs in the large intestines, they are pushed to the anus where they are excreted together with the stool of your dog. They are embryonated within 2-4 weeks. The infective larva develops during this period. If a dog licks the soil contaminated with whipworm, these eggs are passed down to a new dog where the larvae are released into the intestines. It grows to become an adult whipworm.
What to Look For In a Dog Dewormer
You can get quality dog dewormers over the counter, but it is essential to ensure you choose the right one for your dog. There is a couple of things you need to look for in a dog dewormer including the type of worm you are treating. If you are unsure which worms have infested your dog or you are using a dewormer as a preventative treatment, then go for a broad spectrum dewormer.
The best broad spectrum dewormer should cover whipworms, hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms. It is essential to check the number of worms a dewormer treats to know if it suits your dog.
Another critical thing to consider is the type of dewormer your dog needs. Dewormers are available in many forms including chewable tablets, granules, and liquid. All these types are equally effective when used as required. However, if you are administering a dewormer to more than one dog, a liquid dewormer or palatable tablet should not be added to your dog’s food. You need to ensure that each pooch gets the light amount.
The best dog dewormer should determine the dosage of the dewormer by your dog’s weight. Do not under or overdose your dog. Therefore, always choose a dog dewormer that includes dosage and weight guide on its packaging.
It is also crucial to check if the dewormer is suitable for your dog breed and age. The best dog dewormer clearly states the age and breed (small or large) that can be used and whether or not they are safe for lactating and pregnant dogs. If your dog is pregnant and you want to deworm it, choose a treatment that has been tested for pregnant dogs or puppies.
With that in mind, here are the top best dog dewormers on the market;
Features That Make Panacur C Canine Dewormer Stand Out
- This dewormer from Panacur C is popular for eliminating roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms which are some of the nutrient suckers that your dog is likely to suffer from
- The brand uses powder foam unlike most other brands, and the powder is easy to administer in your dog’s yogurt
- The powder uses fenbendazole as the primary ingredient which is effective at killing parasitic protein by damaging the cell structure of the parasite and eventually killing it
- Therefore, if administered in the right dosage, it should eliminate all parasites listed on the package
- The dose needs to be administered once every day for three consecutive days depending on your dog’s weight
- Each packet is ideal for 40 lbs., but you can get other packets available if your dog does not fall in this category – each box comes with three doses
- Panacur C can be used to treat worms in puppies that have attained at least 6 weeks of age or pregnant dogs
- It has been recommended by vets to handle all worms with no problems at all
- Other uses of the dewormer include prevention of congestive heart failure in dogs, eliminating fleas and taeniid tapeworms
Proc of Panacur C Canine Dewormer
- Works on many types of worms
- Can be mixed with regular dog food
- Recommended by vets
Conc of Panacur C Canine Dewormer
- Some dogs dislike the taste of the dewormer
Why We Recommend It
This is a reasonably priced dewormer with the ability to kill all worms with results showing within three days of use. Perhaps one of the notable features is the addition of fenbendazole which kills most parasites that your dog has. The product is safe for all dogs including puppies (6 weeks old and above) and pregnant dogs.
Features That Make Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer Stand Out
- Bayer Tapeworm is a vet-recommended dog dewormer that targets to eliminate tapeworms
- It comes as a tablet which means you administer it to your dog as a treat. However, the easiest way to apply the medicine is to crumble it into your dog’s favorite treat
- This dose can be given to puppies with not less than 4 weeks of age through the dosages indicated
- The medication has praziquantel as the main ingredient which works rather quickly – you will soon notice that your dog is free of symptoms
- Each pack comes with 5 tablets which may be a disadvantage for owners with large dog breeds of more than 60 pounds as these require five pills at once. Therefore, you may need to buy more than one pack
- Bayer is a trusted brand hence you can rest assured that the method is safe for your dog or puppy
- Note that your dog may develop diarrhea after taking the dewormer but the effect last for a short time. The second dose may come a week or two later to ensure that any remaining worm is eliminated
Proc of Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer
- Effective at eliminating dog’s tapeworm
- Easy to administer
- Dosage is precise on the pack
Conc of Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer
- Only effective at removing tapeworm
Why We Recommend It
Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer chewable tablets are easy to administer with easy to follow guidelines on the package. The medicine is effective for tapeworms only which means that if your dog has other worms, it may not be effective enough. The chewable tablets have received praise from consumers who say that the effects can be seen within a few days after administering it.
Features That Make Nemex 2 Liquid Wormer Stand Out
- If you’re looking for a liquid dewormer that will not stress you out when administering, the nemex-2 is a suitable option for all dogs with not less than two weeks of age
- The products deal with 2 types of worms: Roundworms and hookworms. Therefore, it may not help with other types of worms
- The package has a clear outline of the dosage where you will realize that for every 10 pounds of your dog’s weight, you need a teaspoon of Nemex-2
- It comes with a dropper which has printed measurements to prevent overdosing or underdoing your pet
- The best part about the medicine is the easy administration that requires you to mix it with soft food or milk, and that’s it
- Customers reviews show that most dogs like the taste of the liquid dewormer with some seeming to enjoy it
- The dewormer works real quick that you may begin to notice that your dog has started to expel the worms from the body in 12 hours
- When used as directed, the counter dewormer is safe pregnant dogs too and makes your pet look healthy
- The active ingredient used is pyrantel pamoate which is more effective than most prescription wormers out there
- The dewormer is FDA approved, and the vet recommended
Proc of Nemex 2 Liquid Wormer
- It’s in liquid form which makes it easy to administer
- Most dogs like the taste
- Safe for pregnant dogs
Conc of Nemex 2 Liquid Wormer
- May not be suitable for young dogs
Why We Recommend It
If you dread trying to administer your dog a tablet, here is an equally effective liquid dewormer that will eliminate hookworms and roundworms. The results are almost instant, and the medicine is considered safe for dogs of all ages. You only need to mix it with your pet’s favorite treat which is an effortless and effective way to administer it.
Features That Make Bayer Quad Chewable Dewormer Stand Out
- Here’s another effective dewormer for your dog that comes as chewable tablets that feature a combination of ingredients such as Praziquantel, febantel and pyrantel pamoate
- Due to the effective ingredients, the dewormer kills all worms including tapeworms, roundworms, tapeworms, and whipworms
- To get the best results, you need to know your pet’s weight. This way, you will be able to follow the dosage indicated on the pack
- If used appropriately, it can eliminate most worms that have infested your pooch. Bayer Quad Dewormer has received praise from a majority of pet owners
- The tablets are easy to administer as you can give it as a treat or mix it with a treat to entice them
- The tablets are scored which even makes it easy to break them mainly when administering
- Better yet, the medicine is beef flavored which is a bonus for dogs that like the flavor. Most dogs do not even realize that they have consumed the medication
- Bayer is a popular supplier and producer in the pharmaceutical industry with an excellent reputation and long history
- However, some customers have reported that their dog didn’t like the taste of the dewormer with some having diarrhea, but the results are quick
Proc of Bayer Quad Chewable Dewormer
- It’s a broad spectrum dewormer
- Offers immediate results
- It’s reasonably priced
Conc of Bayer Quad Chewable Dewormer
- Some dogs do not like the taste
Why We Recommend It
For dogs with many worms, the Bayer Quad Dewormer tablets feature effective and safe ingredients for puppies and adult dogs with over 2lbs. Ensure that you use as directed on the pack for positive results. The product should produce positive results within a short time after administering it.
Features That Make Sentry HC WormX Plus Stand Out
- Here’s another option for owners looking to get rid of various worms such as tapeworms, hookworms, and roundworms
- The medicine contains Pyrantel Pamoate and Praziquantel, which are not most commonly used ingredients for dewormers
- The chewable tablet is designed for both puppies and adult dogs weighing between 6 and 25 pounds. However, if your dog is higher than 26 lbs. you may have to buy more tablets for proper protection
- The tablets offer 1-month protection which means that your dog cannot contract any worms one month after consuming the pills
- Dogs between 25 lbs and 50 lbs require one tablet while dogs between 100 and 150 lbs need 2 tablets. The dosage depends on the weight of your dog
- They feature a flavored taste which makes it easily chewable by most dogs, but for a fussy pet, you can mix with their food
- This medicine lacks in one department – the inability to get rid of whipworms. Therefore, it is not a suitable option if your dog has these types of worms
- It is reasonably priced and effective as per users although some dogs may experience a stomach upset after consumption which should last for a short time
- The company notes that Worm X Plus is yet to be proven safe for pregnant dogs
Proc of Sentry HC WormX Plus
- Easy to administer
- Offers one month of protection
- Suitable for medium dogs
Conc of Sentry HC WormX Plus
- Fails to address whipworm infestation
Why We Recommend It
If a test from your vet confirm that your dog does not have whipworms but has other worms, try out Sentry HC WormX Plus which prevents all different kinds of dog worms. The dewormer is suitable for medium and large dogs, not more than 25 lbs and offers a one month of protection.
Features That Make Duvet Trimmer Wormer Stand Out
- Looking for a convenient way to eliminate any worms and enhance the immune system? Try this dewormer, popularly known as Durvet Trimmer Wormer.
- The tablet works great thanks to its main ingredients pyrantel Pamoate and praziquantel
- These ensure effectiveness because they not only cure worm infestation, but the medicine also prevents other worms infestations.
- The medicine is safe for medium and large sized dogs and can be administered twice a year
- The product is suitable for dogs weighing more than 25 pounds and can be used without prescription to control tapeworms; so it’s safe.
- It contains 12 tablets in a pack and has been a proven solution for mixed breed dogs
- The flavored tablet works excellent when summer hits and your dog can smell fresh from the effective flavored tablets
- You will like the method of administration because your dog would take it for a treat. However, if you have a fussy pet, you easily crush the tablet and offer in wet dog food
- This has been specially designed for picky eaters with the only deal breaker being whether or not your dog has attained 25 pounds
Proc of Duvet Trimmer Wormer
- For picky eaters
- Tablets are chewable
- Safe for dogs and puppies
Conc of Duvet Trimmer Wormer
- Only suitable for dogs with less than 25 pounds
Why We Recommend It
As a deworming treatment, this is mainly suitable for medium and large dogs. The medicine kills a wide range of the bloodsuckers such as hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms. You should easily spot the worms in the dog stool a few hours after administering this best dog wormer pill.
Features That Make Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer Stand Out
- Looking for an ideal cure for worms in dogs? Get this medicine priced in an affordable way for the masses
- The safe-Guard Canine Dewormer contains fenbendazole which has a long history with fighting tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms
- It comes with a weight chart to show the various ranges of dog size and what amount to administer
- It works for dogs up to 40 pounds per pouch; as such, you may have to spend more if you have many dogs
- This is a broad spectrum dewormer that works for cats which a bonus if you have a cat too
- The white powder can be sprinkled in yogurt or treat, and most dogs seem to enjoy the taste
- It’s an effective worm for dogs that been infected with heartworm
- It should be administered or 3 consecutive days even to the little puppies in your yard
- The safe medicine can be administered twice a year to prevent worm infestation
Proc of Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer
- Kills all kinds of worms in dogs
- It’s a broad spectrum dewormer
- Fights heartworm
Conc of Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer
- Some customers say it doesn’t work for tapeworm larva
Why We Recommend It
This is another effective dewormer that most dogs seem to like. The over-the-counter dewormer contains fenbendazole which kills most worms in dogs. The dewormer contains explicit instructions to ensure you don’t need any visit to the vet.
Features That Make D-Worm Combo De-Wormer Stand Out
- The D-Worm combo De-Wormer is used to treat puppies and dogs with an infestation of tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms
- It comes in a package of 2 chewable flavored tablets that your dog will like
- The product is safe with each flavored tablet containing 30mg pyrantel pamoate and 30 mg praziquantel which have been approved by the FDA
- The tablets can easily be crushed into food particularly for the picky eaters
- If your puppy or small dog weighs between 6 lbs. and 25 lbs., this could be what you need to eliminate any worms – make sure your dog is healthy before administering the dewormer
- You do not need a prescription to give your dog this treatment. However, don’t panic when your dog suffers from runny stools
- The combo needs to be used twice a year to prevent any worm infestation
- D-Worm is a reputable brand that offers quality, and this product should not be an exception
Proc of D-Worm Combo De-Wormer
- Easy to administer
- Efficient against tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms
- Suitable for pets between 6 lbs. to 25 lbs.
Conc of D-Worm Combo De-Wormer
- Some dogs may not like it
Why We Recommend It
With an appealing flavor, these easy-to-administer tablets is a no-fuss way to eliminate multiple worms in your dog and restore a healthy digestive system. Each tablet is safe with no severe side effects. Yet, taking into consideration the effectiveness you get with the medication, it’s worth every penny!
FAQ About Dog Dewormers
How does a dewormer work?
These are medicine designed to kill intestinal worms and parasites in your dog’s system. These parasites hold on the intestinal wall and are excreted along with undigested food when your dog passes its stool.
The best dewormers kill both the eggs and larvae in your dog’s system. It is essential to follow all the instructions on the packaging and complete the treatment as specified.
How long does it for the dewormer to eliminate worms?
It takes around 2 weeks for a dewormer to eliminate intestinal parasites after the final dose is administered. You can take a stool sample to your vet to ensure all worms have been eliminated. Your vet will check the signs of worms in the stool under a microscope. If your vet notices any signs of worms, he/she will advise on the way forward.
Can one infected dog pass worms to another?
Dog intestinal worms and parasites are transmissible. They are passed on when a dog comes into contact with feces from an infected dog. This can either be through contact with feces or being bitten by a flea that was in contact with infected feces (but this depend on the type of worm).
If you want to prevent the spread of worms, dispose of feces quickly and properly. If your dog gets infected keep them away from other pets to help stop the spread of worms.
Can humans get worms from dogs?
Worms are zoonotic in nature, and this is one of the main reasons you should treat your dog’s worm infestation as fast as possible. That means worms can be transferred from your canine companion to you.
Humans are prone to attack from canine roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms. However, the least common in humans is the tapeworm. This is because tapeworm’s eggs are transmitted majorly by fleas, and thus human has to swallow a flea to have the same infestation.
Roundworms and hookworms are easily transferable from dogs to humans if you come into contact with dog fecal matter that has overstayed for 5-10 days.
As a precautionary measure, you may need to treat yourself for intestinal worms if you find out that your canine friend is infected too. They may not be able to cope in a human body system, and this makes them more dangerous as they can damage other organs.
Intestinal parasitism is one of the significant health problems dogs faces, especially those dogs that spend most of their time outdoors. Allowing these parasites and worms to overstay in the body can adversely affect the health of your canine friend. That’s why you need to get rid of these intestinal worms through the best dewormers.
All the above dog dewormers we have reviewed in our post today are the best on the market. They have also been proven to be both safe and effective for your pooch. Purchase one that suits your dog today!
You May Also Interested In:
- 3 Best Dog DNA Test Kits Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- 10 Best Dog Probiotics Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Dog Toothpastes Reviews and Buyer Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)