10 Best Dog Beds Reviews and Buyer Guide 2018
Many of our canine friends are not just pets; they are a family to us. So, why not spoil them with a plush dog bed? Rather than letting them take a rest on a pile of old clothes or your new leather couch, why not get them the best dog bed for their needs?
We know that it can be hard to find the best dog bed on the market since there are hundreds, if not thousands of dog beds, all claiming to be the best. Some provide a cooling surface, others offer supportive luxury for the older dogs, and others are orthopedic beds. Whatever your friend needs, investing in a high-quality dog bed will make all parties happy.
To help you choose the best dog bed, we have created a comprehensive buyer’s guide that will not only give you reasons to buy a dog bed but also prepare your mind on what to look out for in a dog bed.
Let’s get started.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Reason Your Dog Needs Its Bed
Investing in the best dog bed is an essential requirement for any serious dog owner. When your furry friend has a comfortable and warm bed, they get to enjoy a wide range of benefits including;
Having a private and secure resting spot
A dog bed offers a perfect place for retreating in privacy and security. Your dog will appreciate having a place they can call their own.
Insulation and warmth are fundamental reasons to invest in a high-quality dog bed. It lifts your dog off cold, hard floor and provides greater comfort afforded by the ability to get warmth.
Cushioning for joints and bones
A soft and warm spot to stretch out is essential for any dog, but most importantly for dogs that are overweight, older, or suffering from joint pain. If your dog has any of these conditions, it will be great to get them an orthopedic bed, which are specially made to give great support for dogs in their joints and bones regions.
Acting as better control of loose hair and dander
One of the most significant benefits of having a dog bed is that it holds loose hair and dander, in a single, easy-to-clean spot. Best dog beds come with an extra cover; this means that you can wash one cover while the other one is in use.
Dog beds lower chances of injuries by preventing your dog, especially smaller dog breeds, from getting injuries brought about by trying to reach high furniture. Rarely, older dogs suffer from such injuries as well.
Offering protection of outdoor beds
Most beds are made of a sturdy, comfortable, and water-resistant material that offer your outdoor dog security, stability, and comfort. Let your outdoor dog rest peacefully on its bed after a long day of being active outside.
Giving your dog a place they can own
With the right training, your dog will master its spot in the house when it comes to sleeping. A dog that knows its space will not disturb you at night unless the bed is uncomfortable and cold. Instead of scolding him harshly when he tries to sleep on couches or your bed, get them a definite place where they can rest. Your dog needs privacy, and the fact that they are territorial, having its spot will be a plus for them.
Keeping your furniture clean and safe
Without a bed, your dog will sleep on your bed or on the couch. And although you may enjoy this company, your furniture will wear off fast because of the sharp nature of dog paws. Therefore, getting them a dog bed will keep your furniture in good condition for a long time as they are getting torn down by sharp dog paws.
Having convinced you that your dog needs a bed, let’s look at some of the things you need to look into when buying a dog bed;
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Dog Bed
When purchasing a dog bed, it must be the best for your friend. To choose the bed that your dog will like, you need to consider the following factors;
1. The Quality of the Mattress
The quality of its mattress mainly determines the quality of a dog bed. Therefore, when looking for the best dog bed for small dogs, medium dogs, or large dog breeds, you need to go for one that has hugely comfy cushioning material. The good cushioning material is not only soft but also firm such that it holds its shape after extended use and offers superior insulation.
Therefore, dog beds with high-quality mattresses don’t come cheap; you have to be willing to spend a bit of money to get premium quality. Since you have probably bought a human mattress before, you know that a cheap one is never good.
Well, cheap mattresses might look fancy and perfect at first, but they get lumpy after a few uses. Within a short time, a cheap mattress will offer uneven insulation.
So, what makes the best mattress for a dog bed?
- Soft, quality, supportive cushioning material
- Easily maintained
- Ability to keep its shape and size even after an extended period of usage
You should also steer away from under-stuffed or over-stuffed beds as they may either be uncomfortable for your dog or prevent your puppy from sleeping in their natural position. While all mattresses are soft out and flatten after some time, the best ones can maintain their shape for extended periods.
Consider the weight of a mattress too. Lightweight mattresses with polyester fiber or foam offer a good supply of fresh air.
2. Ease of Maintenance
When looking for a dog bed, you should also consider the ease of cleaning its mattress cover. Waterproof covers are easy to spot clean with a damp cloth or cleaned in a washing machine. A mattress cover that is machine washable is one of the things that makes a dog bed great.
You need to know that the best fabrics for making dog bed mattress covers are resistant to tearing by your dog’s sharp claws. This is because they have tight weaving that avoids loop construction. Tough fabrics are the best.
3. Bed’s Mattress Cover
The best mattress cover is one that is breathable, stylish, soft, and warm. It is also one that is easily durable, easy to clean, and replaceable. The cover needs to offer a barrier and casing to keep the mattress from getting smelly or damp.
It should also protect the mattress from harboring dust mites, dog hair, mites, excess body oils, and mold. Unfortunately, you cannot find a mattress cover that can help with all these.
However, to ensure you get the best dog’s mattress cover, then consider one that is waterproof. This will suit muddy and wet dogs and also help deal with the bitches when that season comes by. They are also the best for dogs that drool excessively.
By acting as a casing or impermeable barrier, a mattress cover prevent the bed from getting smelly and damp. It also inhibits the growth of mildew and mold. Therefore, if you have a dog that is prone to allergies, you need to get a bed with a waterproof cover.
4. Bed Size and Shape
The size of your dog bed depends on the size and breed of your dog. It might be hard to get the exact bed size of your bed, but here is a simplified guide to buying the best-sized bed for your friend;
For small dog breeds such as Chihuahuas, you need to determine a suitable one by looking at the design and dimensions of the bed. If getting a round or oval bed, the maximum diameter should be 36 inches. For rectangular shaped beds, 16 by 21 inches works well. Remember that these dimensions are for dogs weighing less than 30 pounds.
If you are going for a round or oval bed, it should have a maximum diameter of 42 inches while square ones should be 20 by 27 inches. A medium sized dog weighing between 30 pounds and 45 pounds. They include French bulldogs and Australian Shepherds.
These hold a dog that weighs between 45 pounds and 80 pounds. If circular and oval shaped, it should have a maximum diameter of 53 inches and 28 by 41 inches in the case of rectangular bed. These are ideal for labs, greyhounds, and bulldogs.
Extra Large beds
These are perfect for largest dog breeds such as Black Russian Terries, Great Danes, or Bernese Mountain Dogs. The maximum diameter of these beds should be 60 inches if oval or circular and 28 by 41 inches if rectangular.
How do you measure a dog bed?
The best way to determine the perfect bed size for your dog is to measure your dog’s height from its paws to its shoulders. The length of the dog should run from chest to the base of the tail. You should offer an allowance of 6 inches around the width and height measurement for optimal comfort. If you are in doubt, always err on the larger size and a rectangular bed rather than a rounded one.
You also should take care of the sprawling sleeping position of your dog to ensure the bed offers excellent support to your dog’s hips and shoulder area.
5. Dog Sleeping Position
Dogs too have their favorite sleeping position, but they keep changing sleeping positions in their sleep. Therefore, before you buy the best dog bed for your friend, you should know the favorite sleeping position of your dog. Know whether your dog likes curling, stretching out, sleeping on its back, or shifting positions when sleeping. By understanding your dog’s favorite sleeping position, you will be able to determine not only the right bed to buy but also the suitable size for him.
6. Comfort and Support
The design of the mattress or bed should not only support the weight of the dog but also distribute it equally. Therefore, go for a mattress with different foam layers.
The most comfortable dog bed helps to prevent an extreme cold or to overheat because they allow for free air circulation; they’re breathable. This helps wick away smell and sweat.
Regarding comfort, the best bed for dogs facilitate even distribution of heat.
7. Type of Dog Bed
You also need to consider the best kind of bed for your dog. There are several styles of dog bed available, including those designed for specific breeds or sizes. The common designs include;
Pillow bed/Cushion beds
These dog beds have an even surface and are not raised on the edges. Most of them resemble mattresses and are rectangular, although newer models are also taking circular and square shapes
these provide pressure point relief and targeted support for dogs that have chronic joint pain. Usually thicker, orthopedic beds have extra cushioning that accommodate thinner dogs with protruding bone structures. And because older dogs are generally susceptible to joint pains and drooling, these beds often have a waterproof mattress cover.
These beds take a circular shape and have a high side wall around their circumference. The raised walls help to minimize drafts which makes this bed ideal for dogs that tend to get cold or chilly.
these dog beds mimic a standard sofa and have one or more cushioning surfaces, a high back wall, and one or two raised arms. They may also feature pillows as well.
Burrowing bed/Nest beds
they have a pita shape and have an opening on one side to allow your dog to crawl inside for extra warmth. Many have a fleece lining for extra protection.
they are useful for dogs with joint pains. Their warm surface helps reduce pain in pressure points that develop in most parts of your dog’s body. These beds need an electrical outlet and most feature multiple heating settings.
some dog beds feature metal or plastic legs. They have a sleeping surface made from taut and can be used outside. The elevated sleep surface protects the animal from cold or warm ground depending on the season. Because they are often used outside, these beds have a surface material that is waterproof.
We are done with the buyer’s guide, and we hope you are now wiser and ready to choose the best bed for your canine friend. After scouring the internet, reading many customer reviews, comparing expert reviews, and analyzing different dog beds, here are the top 10 best dog beds that cut;
Features That Make Friends Forever Dog Bed Stand Out
- This dog bed comes in four different sizes and has been designed to offer unmatched comfort for your dog. The dimensions are 36 by 28 by 9 inches. It weighs 14.6 pounds and is one of the best dog beds for large dogs.
- It’s filled with cushioned bolster which not only adds comfort but also security for your fluffy friend. As such, you can rely on this bed for dogs with orthopedic issues and arthritis.
- It has human-grade foam which is long lasting and durable to ensure good value for your money. The large dog bed can accommodate a large dog with up to 75 lbs. Guaranteeing individual support to the hip head and bones. The Friends Forever Premium Dog bed features a waterproof liner with purely metallic zippers to make it sturdier.
- It comes with a durable and soft cover which is removable and easy to clean. It is washable on the machine, and you can spot clean it to suit your preferences. It’s fur resistant, and the cover is made with high-quality materials to prevent wear and tear.
Proc of Friends Forever Dog Bed
- Comes with high-end foam to help retain its shape
- Has a chew and waterproof liner
- The cover is fur resistant and easy to clean
Conc of Friends Forever Dog Bed
- It comes in cocoa and pewter colors only.
Why We Recommend It
The Friends Forever orthopedic bed is a sure fit for your large dog. It offers impressive comfort, thanks to the bolsters it has. Its price is worth the value it provides.
Features That Make Best Friends Dog Bed Stand Out
- Has a round design which enhances comfort and security for your dog. Also, it has a bolstered edge where your pet can rest the head and body. This feature makes the bed suitable for orthopedic dogs as it keeps your dog at good rest.
- Faux Shag Fur: Sheri has added an extra layer of warmth and comfort by adding Faux Shaf Fur which your dog will love as it stays warm even when temperatures drop. Better yet, the extra filling makes it suitable for dogs with pain and joint pain as it offers relief.
- It is easy to wash and dry hence no need for more time to clean the dog bed. The design is superb allowing you to clean and wash this dog bed on a regular basis.
- Dogs like to burrow naturally which is why the bed has deep crevices to offer the natural feel that your dog loves.
- The bottom of the bed is made with water resistant and high-quality materials, so you don’t have to worry about the spills.
Proc of Best Friends Dog Bed
- Has multiple color choices
- Has a convenient design
- Water resistant bottom
Conc of Best Friends Dog Bed
- May not be suitable for dogs that move during sleep.
Why We Recommend It
Packed with unique and excellent features, this product is a must buy if you want your pet to receive the comfort they need and deserve. It offers an unrivaled level of comfort and warmth as a result of faux shag fur.
Features That Make PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed Stand Out
- This dog bed features a 4-inch solid memory foam base which aids in maintaining the shape of the bed over time.
- Has a durable and water-resistant cover that is machine washable
- It comes with bolsters where your dog can rest the head and support the body
- Has a non-slide bottom hence offers pet safety
- The bed is easy to clean and remove fur
- There are different blends of colors to choose for the bed and design is dog-friendly
- It can support up to 100 pounds hence suitable for large dogs
- It’s portable weighing 14 pounds only.
- It’s easy to assemble.
Proc of PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed
- Features a sturdy built with durable fabric
- Has a couch-like design
- Hard to chew
Conc of PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed
- May have limited color options
- Doesn’t work well on the fluffy surface
Why We Recommend It
If your dog likes to eat, this is the best dog bed for chewers as it’s tough to chew. The premium material used in its construction brings a long-lasting performance. Better yet, it has a classy look.
Features That Make Big Barker 7-inch Pillow Dow Bed Stand Out
- Has a thick memory foam that comes in 3 different densities for unparalleled support and comfort. There’s no inferior layer among the 3.
- While there are only 3 colors to choose for this dog bed, they are all dignified and will certainly fit in your room.
- The outer layer is removable and easy to clean using a machine.
- Made in the USA: From the cover to the foam, this entire bed has been manufactured in America which ensures remarkable quality.
Proc of Big Barker 7-inch Pillow Dow Bed
- Built with the highest quality foam materials to support heavy dogs
- Easy and simple to clean
- Made in the USA
Conc of Big Barker 7-inch Pillow Dow Bed
- It’s expensive
- May not be suitable for small dogs
Why We Recommend It
The secret to a happy dog is a high-quality bed. The Big Barker Orthopedic bed for large dogs has 7″” of high-quality foam for a better rest. To add on that, the company stands behind this high-quality bed and offers a 10 –year guarantee. This makes the bed a more affordable option over a long term.
Features That Make Kopeks Orthopedic Dog Bed Stand Out
- It packs 7” of memory form which offers sufficient support even for heavy K9s
- Has a waterproof lining which reduces accidents
- This is one of the best dog beds for large dogs with extra-large dimensions (50”L x 34”W)
- Has a sleek design with soft suede fabric and clean lines
- You can purchase other replacement covers when needed
Proc of Kopeks Orthopedic Dog Bed
- It has been made with high-quality materials and has a thick foam memory
- Offers firm support to bigger dogs
- Has a removable cover and is easy to clean and maintain
Conc of Kopeks Orthopedic Dog Bed
- A few customers said that the sometimes the mattress may not expand to size and when it does, it takes longer.
Why We Recommend It
We found this a firm bed with a comfortable mattress to keep your dog refreshed. Its thick memory form is the most outstanding quality making it suitable for a dog with issues like joint pain. It’s simple to install and makes an excellent choice for your pet’s next home.
Features That Make BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed Stand Out
- The base foam is made from human-grade orthopedic foam
- The non-slip base makes it safer for your dog
- It is ideal for dogs with joint problems
- It can be spot cleaned and vacuumed with ease
- The cover is machine washable
Proc of BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
- It is excellent for dogs that curl up
- Easy to clean
- Has an attractive design
- It is super comfortable
- It is easy on pressure joints
- Good quality construction
Conc of BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
- There are limited sizes available
Why We Recommend It
The base of this bed is created from high-quality foam that is 4 inches deep. The comfortable foam offers support to your dog’s joint while sleeping and improves circulation. It is excellent for older dogs and doesn’t lose shape over time. Its ultra-soft cover features a non-slip back for extra safety and is removable for washing.
Features That Make The Dog’s Balls Bed Stand Out
- It comes in a wide range of sizes from small to extra-large sizes, and hence you will find the size you need.
- The design features a waterproof cover that’s easy to remove. This makes it easy to keep the dog in excellent condition.
- The bed offers exceptional support with a 4″” base and a 2″” premium grade memory foam for unrivaled comfort.
- You can purchase replaceable covers when the cover starts to look fade over time.
- You can purchase this dog bed in different colors which offer a variation.
Proc of The Dog’s Balls Bed
- Has a wide range of colors to choose from
- The bed is waterproof
- Extremely comfortable
Conc of The Dog’s Balls Bed
- Some dog may find the mattress style uncomfortable
Why We Recommend It
This bed is brilliant if you want to travel with your dog as you can place it on the back of your car. If your dog finds the material uncomfortable, you can add a blanket to it to make it perfect. With a premium grade foam, this dog bed is suitable for dogs with joint problems as it reduces the strain on joints.
Features That Make Dogbed4less Orthopedic Dog Bed Pillow Stand Out
- This bed comes with an external cover that is machine washable and dryer safe
- Has a memory foam insert that is hypo-allergenic and resistant to mildew, mold, bacteria, and mites
- The mattress cover is durable and sturdy, yet breathable for better air circulation
- The orthopedic insert distributes your dog weight evenly thereby relieving joint pain and reducing pressure on sores
Proc of Dogbed4less Orthopedic Dog Bed Pillow
- Offers excellent support thanks to the stable foam
- The external cover is machine washable and dryer safe
- Comes with two covers
Conc of Dogbed4less Orthopedic Dog Bed Pillow
- The manufacturer only offers 2-year foam warranty, which is quite a limited duration as compared to other brands
Why We Recommend It
This orthopedic dog bed is designed for medium and large dog breeds experiencing joint problems. It is made from a memory foam insert that has no sides or cushions, meaning accessing the bed and exiting is easy. It has a waterproof insert that protects the memory foam from accidental spills. It has a non-slip base to keep the bed still while your dog is accessing or exiting it.
Features That Make Sealy Orthopedic Dog Bed Stand Out
- Features quad foam layers for comfort and support
- Its memory foam conforms to the dog’s body temperature
- Has a cooling energy gel for regulating body temperature
- Removable cover that has a hidden zipper
- It has a pro-charcoal HD foam to absorb odor
- Bio-green orthopedic foam to help alleviate stress in pressure joints
- Available in 4 different colors
Proc of Sealy Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Quad layer technology offers more comfort
- It comes in four different sizes to suit different dog sizes
- Has removable cover, making cleaning easy
Conc of Sealy Orthopedic Dog Bed
- It is made in China; thus some buyers may feel it has not met all the required standards
Why We Recommend It
It has a revolutionary design making it the best dog bed for hip dysplasia and old dogs. The pet rest memory foam fits into the dog’s body shape and increases circulation. Unlike other beds on the market, this orthopedic bed features a bio-orthopedic foam.
Features That Make Petsbao Orthopedic Dog Bed Stand Out
- It has a reliable memory foam base for unmatched comfort on hips and joints
- Comes with a water-resistant cover to protect the memory foam
- The covers are removable for ease of cleaning
- Features a sleek design for easy access for your canine friend
Proc of Petsbao Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Comes with a waterproof cover to protect the memory foam from accidental spills
- It has orthopedic memory foam to offer even support to your dog’s body. It is made to soothe dogs coming off injuries
- Has a sleek design
- It comes in different sizes to suit different dogs
Conc of Petsbao Orthopedic Dog Bed
- The cushion part is a bit flat as compared to other dog beds in its category
Why We Recommend It
For medium and large dogs, this pet bed offers unique features to enhance their comfort, particularly those with joint problems. What’s more, the design is convenient for easy access to the bed. If your dog has injuries or is coming off from injuries, this dog bed is worth consideration.
Making sure that your furry friend has somewhere they can call their best home is the best thing you can make for him/her. We have made sure you will have the most comfortable time to choose the best bed for your dog.
The products on this list have taken all the consideration we discussed before reviewing the top 10 best dog beds, and you can be assured they are the best of the best.
We hope that our dog bed buying guide, as well as summarized product reviews, helped you find the right product for your dog.
Kindly share your thoughts with us in the comment section below.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)