10 Best Dog Hair Vacuums Reviews and Buyer Guide 2019
I love dogs, but one aspect I hate about them is the hair they shed. I know I’m not the only one here. Most dog owners, and pet owners, in general, will attest to the fact that pet hair is stubborn to clean. You find that there is a lot of hair around your house that you wonder why you have pets in the first place. But again, you quickly remember the joy these furry friends bring. If you are getting it hard to clean dog hair on your hardwood floor, furniture, or carpet, you may need to invest in a dog hair vacuum.
If you want to keep your house clean, getting the best dog hair vacuum is a must-have in your home. It will do all the heavy-lifting of even the lightest of the hair for you.
However, there is a problem. There are a lot of brands making pet hair vacuums with each brand terming their cleaner as the best. Therefore, it can be a daunting task to find the best pet hair vacuum.
That’s why we create this buying guide to take you through everything you need to consider when searching for the right dog hair vacuum for your needs.
We have gathered all the information we feel you need to know about pet hair vacuums. After our buyer’s guide, we have reviewed the top 10 best dog hair vacuums 2019 to make it easier for you.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Dog Hair Vacuum – What You Should Consider
With so many pet vacuum cleaners brands available, choosing the right one for your needs can be confusing. There are several factors you need to evaluate before you settle on the right vacuum cleaner for pet hair.
Type of vacuum cleaner
There are four types of dog hair vacuum cleaners that you can choose from;
1. Canister Vacuum
These vacuums are best for cleaning hard, smaller surfaces such as stairs or car. They have a suction hose that picks up dirt and pet hair. Many have a retractable cord for easy maneuvering.
2. Upright Vacuum Cleaners
These are ideal for large, carpeted areas. They remove dirt through suction thanks to their motor-driven beater brush. Some have bags to capture dirt and pet hair, while others are bagless, and you have to empty the cleaner when full. Some models feature height adjustments controlled by a switch to enable you to clean different surfaces.
3. Handheld Vacuum
Their cordless and portable design makes them great for cleaning smaller surfaces. They are ideal for cleaning up after pets and children.
4. Robot Vacuum
With sensors to know the areas to clean, these compact and cordless vacuums clean with precision and are ideal for cleaning pet hair.
The type of vacuum cleaner you choose will depend on the area you intend to clean and your needs.
The HEPA feature is an important function, and many modern vacuum cleaners now have this. High-Efficiency Particulate Air filter collects particles such as pet dander and fur as well as other allergens from your home. They should be replaced on a regular basis as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. However, there are some vacuums with lifetime HEPA filters as well as washable filters. We have reviewed a few of them below.
Ensure you buy a dog hair vacuum cleaner that features this high-quality filters.
Power and Performance
You are buying a vacuum cleaner to help you in picking dog hair and other dirt in your home. Therefore, the suction power of the vacuum cleaner is important. A vacuum with low suction power will only collect dust, without picking pet hair in your upholstery or carpet.
However, it can be difficult to compare vacuum models in terms of power and performance since the suction is measured in different metrics. For example, amps, watts, and horsepower all tell about the amount of power a motor puts on or uses. Unfortunately, these do not indicate how efficient a vacuum uses its power.
The key figures that can help indicate the efficiency of a vacuum are cubic per minute (CFM) or air watts (AW). CFM measures the amount of air taken into the collection bag in a minute by the vacuum. AW, the best measurement of all represents the amount of power used by a vacuum to pull dirt and pet hair through its nozzle. The higher the number, the better the suction. Machines with HEPA filters need bigger numbers because they require extra suction to pull dirt or pet dander through this filter as it has tiny openings.
The type of work you intend to do will determine the suction you require. However, typically, an upright vacuum should have at least 100 AW while a canister vacuum needs at least 220 AW.
The Area to be Vacuumed
It is easier to remove dog hair from a hardwood floor than it is to collect from a carpeted floor. That’s why it is important to consider where you will be vacuuming before buying a machine. A vacuum with an incredible suction power can handle most of the flooring surfaces. However, you should be ready to match its price tag.
If your furry friend routinely sleeps anywhere in your house, be sure to go for a dog hair vacuum that performs equally on different floors, carpet, and upholstery. Besides, ensure it has strong suction.
Also, consider how large an area you intend to clean, since portable vacuums may not have enough battery capacity to handle cleaning extensive areas without a recharge.
While the vacuum cleaner is the main thing, nowadays, top rated vacuum cleaners for dog hairs come with great accessories and attachments.
Here are some of the handy attachments to look out for;
1. Crevice Tool
This angled-shaped tool helps suck up pet hair and dirt from tight spots.
2. Extension Tool
designed to help you reach corners and behind appliances
3. Upholstery Tool
This helps you clean your mattresses and furniture thanks to its fabric strip and wide base.
4. Beater Bar Brush
This is a standard tool in most upright vacuums and is designed to help deep clean carpets. Occasionally, you can include it as an attachment if the vacuum is for hardwood floors.
5. Dusting Tool
This helps you brush areas prone to dust such as blinds, windowsills, and bookcases
Now that you know what to look out for in dog hair vacuum let’s discuss how you can choose the best pet hair vacuum.
How to Choose the Best Vacuum for Dog Hair
Know your budget
This is the first thing to do. How much are you willing to spend on a vacuum cleaner? Not everyone can afford the most expensive vacuum cleaner on the market, but at least you should go for the best in your price range.
Avoid cheaper vacuums because it might cost you more in the long run. Fortunately, in our top 10 best vacuum reviews below, we have both affordable and high-end vacuums.
How often do you intend to use it?
Do you intend on using the vacuum cleaner every day? Once a week? For frequent usage, a portable and smaller model might suit you. These include cordless and handheld vacuums. Also, a robot vacuum cleaner might be the best option because your dog sheds so much hair that needs to be frequently vacuumed.
Where do you intend on using it?
If you intend to clean only the main living area where your dog hangs out most of the time, you don’t necessarily need a large vacuum,
If, however, you intend to use a vacuum to clean your entire house, then you should consider a powerful vacuum with greater suction power. An upright vacuum or canister vacuum will suit this work.
Do you intend to use your vacuum to clean other surfaces?
Do you want to use your vacuum to clean other things such as curtains, furniture, or car? Many of the top-rated vacuums for pet hair we have reviewed in this post feature attachments to help with cleaning other areas. Alternatively, you can buy separate machines to clean other areas.
Now that you are armed with all the information you need to choose the right cleaner, here are the best pet hair vacuum cleaners in 2019.
Features That Make Bissell 33A1 Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner Stand Out
- This has a small size, small price but offers impressive performance when you want to pick up stubborn hair in every space in your house
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is regarded as one of the best pet hair as it performs best on upholstery, bedding, carpeted stairs and hard-to-reach areas such as down the back of the sofa
- The model features a flexible rubber contour nozzle that is effective at removing pet hair from hardwood floors and can clean insides of automobiles for the dry messes
- This tool has a lightweight construction weighing around 4 pounds, and hence you can glide easily around the house without getting too tired
- It comes with a comfortable grip handle with a fingertip ON/OFF switch to make it easy to vacuum the house
- You may need to empty the dirt container often to get the maximum suction force, but this is a handy little machine to keep your house free of pet hair
- Other highlights of this corded model include a multi-layer filtration and cyclonic cleaning system to eliminate pet hair
Proc of Bissell 33A1 Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- Has a lightweight and handheld design
- It has a powerful suction
- Has easy maneuverability
Conc of Bissell 33A1 Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
- Has a small dirt container that needs frequent emptying
Why We Recommend It
This pet hair vacuum cleaner from Bissell is a recommended option if you need a small and pocket-friendly hair vacuum that can get inside the small areas. This may not be the machine for larger surfaces but is an excellent vacuum for easy and quick cleanups.
Features That Make Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum Cleaner Stand Out
- As the name suggests, this is a mighty unit that has a strong suction power, many attachments, and has a blower pot that helps in cleaning tight spaces and mattress
- It comes with a HEPA filtration system which is great at keeping the air clean and eliminate pet odor and allergy causing pathogens
- The Eureka Mighty Mite Lover 3684F comes with a pet power paw, a multi-purpose dusting brush and upholstery nozzle for easy removal of fur and dirt
- It comes in a lightweight design which makes it easy to move around the house and upstairs which saves your effort
- This best handheld vacuum for pet hair uses a hygienic bag that collects pet hair and dust with a capacity of 2.6 dry quarts an comes at a cheap price
- Note that this model performs fairly well on most floors including hardwood, tile, ceramics with extra attachments to clean the hard to get spots
Proc of Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Has HEPA filters to prevent allergies
- Has a powerful suction
Conc of Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- May need a separate space to keep the attachments
Why We Recommend It
Eureka is a popular brand, and this is a great canister unit for pet hair removal on bare floors. The unit is lightweight with HEPA filters and comes at a lower price.
Features That Make Hoover React Professional Pet Vacuum UH73220PC Stand Out
- This model has innovative, intelligent cleaning technology and powerful suction to capture more dust, hair, and dirt
- It comes with FloorSense Technology that works with micro-sensors to detect changing floor types and adjusts the brush roll speeds for more efficiency
- This unit is compatible with Hoover App that gives you the freedom to customize your cleaning experience and helps you keep the vacuum in excellent condition
- The WindTunnel surge technology makes this the best vacuum for pet hair to enhance the capture of more dirt, dust and pet hair
- The model has integrated the Sealed Allergen System which captures up to 99% of dust and allergen to keep the air around you clean
- The multi-cyclonic technology offers continuous suction to offer effective cleaning
- You can remove all the stubborn hair from stairs, furniture and upholstery thanks to the Pet Turbo Tool that does the job uniquely
- It has an advanced swivel steering design that makes it easy to maneuver around under furniture and in the squeezed tight spaces
Proc of Hoover React Professional Pet Vacuum UH73220PC
- Has excellent Suction power
- Has an effective filtration system
Conc of Hoover React Professional Pet Vacuum UH73220PC
- Maybe heavier than other similar models
Why We Recommend It
This is arguably the best pet hair vacuum with an impressive vacuum power and works best on hardwood floors like tile flooring, Pergo floor, wooden floor, linoleum flooring and will work fairly well on carpets. The nozzle can get flat enough to the tightest spots and can pick up cat or dog litter, debris, dust and fur with ease. The company stands behind the quality of this unit by offering a 5-year warranty.
Features That Make Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum Stand Out
- This is a deep vacuum cleaner that’s designed to clean pet hair and dust from your carpet and many other surfaces at home
- This best deep vacuum cleaner offers a lot of deep cleaning design features that specific to this brand
- As with all other Dyson upright vacuums, this one rides on a ball which aids the vacuum to pivot easily
- As a result, you move easily around furniture and door frames with a little turning of your wrist
- The vacuum features a compact design with the motor and ducting all housed inside the ball. Hence, you can fit the cleaner inside small spaces such as under your sofa with ease
- The best-highlighted feature of this best Dyson vacuum for pet hair is the radial root cyclone motor which uses high power to remove pet hair
- Additionally, you can use the tangle-free turbine tool that gets rid of the deeply embedded pet hair and dirt from the carpet and upholstery
- Not only this, but the Dyson Animal also boasts a delicate dusting tool that can clean dust from furniture and curtains
- The company stands behind the quality of this tool by offering a 5 years warranty on parts and labor
- This is a bagless model that’s hygienically easy to empty, and the big bags don’t have to be replaced now and then
Proc of Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum
- Has a long cord that makes it easy to clean the rooms without unplugging it from the wall
- Has a self-adjusting cleaner for all floor types
- Can automatically switch to different floor types without losing suction
Conc of Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum
- The maximum reach is lower
Why We Recommend It
This vacuum cleaner can clean any type of floor, and it does this automatically. It’s a lightweight vacuum that’s specially made to clean pet hair with the needed suction power. The good thing is that the company offers a 5-year warranty, so you don’t have to worry.
Features That Make Bissell PowerEdge Pet Corded hardwood Vacuum Stand Out
- This is the best vacuum for hardwood floors featuring amazing features for hardwood flooring
- It boasts a V shape design that adds to the suction power by moving bigger bits of dirt into the middle of the suction while the smaller bits of debris are suctioned up by the far ends of the V-shape
- For people who don’t like wasting time on assembling objects, this is the best upright stick vacuum that is extremely easy to assemble
- It’s portable weighing 7 lbs only which means that you can easily move it around your home and makes it easy to clean around furniture legs
- With a 20 inches power cord, you can rest assured that you’ll move around the house without unplugging it from power
- The feature that makes it the best vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors 2019 is the easy-to-empty cup that makes it easy to clean the edges and around furniture legs
Proc of Bissell PowerEdge Pet Corded hardwood Vacuum
- Has a V-shape design that enhances suction
- It’s extremely easy to assemble
- Has a dust cup that’s mess-free
Conc of Bissell PowerEdge Pet Corded hardwood Vacuum
- Has a shorter hose
Why We Recommend It
Featuring a unique V shape design, the Bissell PowerEdge corded vacuum is the wise pick for anyone looking for the best hardwood floor vacuum. And although it’s best suited to hardwood floors, it can also clean low pile area rugs as well. It’s reasonably priced and will offer the best bang for your buck.
Features That Make Shark Rocket TruePet HV 322 Stand Out
- According to Consumer Reports 2015 buyer’s guide, the Shark line of vacuum cleaners has significantly improved ranking at second most reliable vacuum cleaners
- Weighing just 8 pounds, this model from the company is ultra-light and works best on carpet floors. The customer reviews can affirm this
- The cyclonic technology in this best vacuum for pet hair and carpet floors featuring a few attachments such as a pet hair tool and hardwood floor attachment
- The device comes with a washable microfiber cloth that can help in cleaning laminate and wood floor
- Other features of this hand vacuum cleaner include a dusting brush which makes it easy to remove dirt on delicate surfaces
- Another interesting feature of this device is the TruePet motorized tool that helps in deep cleaning when you need to remove the toughest debris on your carpet
Proc of Shark Rocket TruePet HV 322
- Performs extremely well on carpet
- Has LED headlights to enhance the lifetime of the vacuum
- Has a long 5-year warranty
Conc of Shark Rocket TruePet HV 322
- The handheld component of the vacuum may feel large and bulky
Why We Recommend It
If you’re looking for an upright cleaner that has powerful suction, then this is your ideal pick. The Shark Rocket TruePet HV322 is also suitable for people with back problems. The tool comes with a 5-year warranty and does a good job.
Features That Make Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum Stand Out
- The Dyson DC39 is among the latest cylinder vacuums from Dyson that works with the patented ball technology
- It is the best pet hair vacuum with Dyson Cyclone technology to eliminate dirt, fur, and microscopic dirt without losing suction
- It comes with a central steering mechanism that offers you better control and stability
- For people with allergy issues, the unit can capture allergens and can clean the air around the house thanks to the HEPA filters that trap microscopic particles
- One of the star features in this vacuum cleaner is that should there be something stuck inside it, you can easily dismantle the attachments to eliminate the debris
- It features a washable filter that doesn’t need any replacement in the future which offers significant savings
Proc of Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum
- Has Dyson ball technology which enhances maneuverability
- Has 5-year warranty on parts and labor
- Can clean carpets and hardwood floors with ease
Conc of Dyson DC39 Animal Canister Vacuum
- The model may be pricey
Why We Recommend It
This unit is made for an animal lover looking for a good vacuum cleaner for pet hair. This can remove all pet hair effectively with the needed suction power. This is a suitable choice for people with allergy issues as it comes with HEPA filters for the cleaning job.
Features That Make iRobot Roomba 690 Stand Out
- If you’re looking for a robotic vacuum to help you clean and schedule cleaning, then the Roomba 690 with Wi-Fi connectivity is a great option
- It boasts a 3-stage cleaning technology to loosen, lift and suction dirt and fur efficiently
- You don’t have to worry when it’s out of charge as it comes with an automatic recharging
- The robot has virtual wall navigation to ensure that it cleans the area needed and Wi-Fi connection when you want to command it from your phone
- You can schedule cleaning from anywhere with iRobot Home App
- Most people invest in the Roomba 690 because it can automatically switch to different floor surfaces without any help from you
- It can easily clean even the tightest spots under some furniture without needing to move the furniture. Better yet, it has dirt detect sensors that help the Roomba to work more on areas with concentrated dirt, e.g., the high traffic areas of your house
- Apart from being Wi-Fi controlled, the Roomba 690 robotic cleaner is compatible with Amazon Echo and Alexa so you can use voice controls
Proc of iRobot Roomba 690
- It’s Wi-Fi controlled and compatible with Alexa
- It’s reasonably priced
- Works well picking up pet hair
Conc of iRobot Roomba 690
- May get stuck in certain areas and fail to return to the dock
Why We Recommend It
The iRobot Roomba 690 is for buyers that need a great piece of equipment that does a thorough job. If you need an inexpensive iRobot vacuum that uses an app to control, then this one is for you.
Features That Make Shark Navigator Professional NV356E Stand Out
- The first thing you will notice with this vacuum is the durable quality from a combination of ABS and PP plastics along with some rubber and metal components
- This one never loses suction technology to ensure consistent suction power when picking up dust and pet hair
- The Complete Seal Technology and HEPA filters in this vacuum ensure that you stay allergy free as it traps 99.9% of dirt in your house
- This is the best vacuum for pet hair 2019 equipped with a Plethora of additional gadgets such as an 8-inch crevice tool, a dusting brush, and pet power brush for efficient cleaning
- This vacuum comes with a 30-foot long cord to make it easier to clean your entire house with ease
- It has a swivel steering to ensure that it can move to tight spaces easily
- This is well-suited to deep carpet cleaning and can also be used to maintain upholstery
- It comes with a large dust cup to reduce the number of times needed to empty the dust bag
Proc of Shark Navigator Professional NV356E
- Has excellent suction
- It’s to empty without touching the waste
- Has a pretty long cord to clean the entire house
Conc of Shark Navigator Professional NV356E
- It lacks lighting hence may not be appropriate to clean dark and isolated places
Why We Recommend It
The shark Upright NV356E is a sufficient vacuum cleaner that offers great flexibility with a wide range of functionality related features. This is a best recommended to people who need a reliable cleaning tool to keep their room clean from fur and dirt.
Features That Make Black + Decker BDH2020FLFH MAX Vacuum Stand Out
- Black+Decker has been in the business for many years with a reputation of searching for ways to improve their products, and this model is not an exception
- This a pretty compact cordless vacuum cleaner that employs lithium technology and offers powerful suction
- The wireless vacuum offers a stick floor head as well as hairbrush extension to clean dust and debris effortlessly
- This is the best handheld vacuum for pet hair 2017 with a 20-volt Lithium-ion Battery for fadeless power
- It comes with a 4 ft. flexible extension hose that can clean even the tight spots including the high shelves
- With this tool, you can even get rid of the stubborn pet hair easily using the stick floor head and hairbrush extension
- Has Cyclonic action that spins dirt away from the filter
- It also consists of a 3-stage filtration system that prevents dirt from penetrating
Proc of Black + Decker BDH2020FLFH MAX Vacuum
- It’s lightweight and easy to glide around
- Comes with stick vacuum head that reduces bending over
- Ideal for cleaning even the tough pet hair and dirt
Conc of Black + Decker BDH2020FLFH MAX Vacuum
- The filter needs to be washed on a regular basis
- Maybe noisy
Why We Recommend It
If you don’t want to bend, this handheld unit is a suitable addition to your toolbox. It offers efficient pet hair removal with a round shaped textured tool that has a hole in the middle. It’s an excellent product with powerful suction and fadeless power.
Bingo! You have made it to the end of our long guide on how to choose the best dog hair vacuum cleaner.
We hope that our buyer’s guide and review have given you a better understanding of how to choose the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair.
If you feel that the features and specifications of a vacuum are difficult to comprehend, we recommend you go back to the buying guide. That will help you know the basics.
What you need to keep in mind before making your final decision is to find out what your needs and preferences are. The best product in the market might not suit your needs. You need to go for a vacuum with features and specifications that matches your needs.
Remember, dogs are your best companions for life. Therefore, ensure they live an enjoyable life in a clean environment to play in. That’s why you need to have the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair to keep your home in tip-top condition.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)