10 Best Dog Nail Clippers Reviews and Buyer’s Guide 2019
As a pet owner, you need to groom your canine friend regularly as a part of your caring routine. However, grooming your dog is not limited to just washing and brushing their bodies. It also entails trimming their nails on a regular basis. If your dog nails are too long, he may have a difficult time walking on slippery ground. Nails can also get caught in your house mats or make marks on your flooring which will be uncomfortable for your dog and can damage the flooring of your house. One way to keep your dog nails short is by investing in the best dog nail clippers.
However, with many different brands making these nail clippers on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start.
We, as a dog-loving expert, have put together a buyer’s guide to buying the best dog nail clippers and also reviewed the top 10 dog nail trimmers on the market.
Let’s get started…
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
What You Need to Know About Dog Nails
One thing you need to know about dogs is that they are likely to have either black or clear nails. Clear nails are easier to see and thus easier to clip.
It is also important to note that these nails have an outer shell and a quick. You need to cut the outer shell. Cutting the quick, which is the pink part, will lead to a lot of bleeding and pain. Ensure to have a soothing powder, such as styptic powder, in case you accidentally cut the quick.
The danger of Long Nails
It is good to know that trimming of your dog’s nails is not just for the looks, but also important for their health. Long nails can inflict pain to your furry friend in several ways. Nails that are too long will hit the surface, and this will make it uncomfortable for your dog to walk for a long time. They might change your dog’s walking style and even injure the tendon in the long-run.
On the flip side, regular trimming will help keep your dog healthy and make it comfortable for them to walk. Therefore, it is important to keep his nails short as this routine can also turn out to be great for bonding.
Types of Nail Clippers
There are a wide variety of different types of dog nail trimmers on the market. Some are effective than others. Here are the 3 major types;
These are the most popular type of dog clippers on the market. Just as the name suggests, there resemble a pair of scissors or pliers. However, they are designed specifically for your dog nails. They are thick, sturdy and big. They clip on the nails and trim them with a single cut. Although they are great for trimming smaller dogs, they can also be used for larger dogs.
These little devices have a hole in the middle that is big enough to fit a dog’s paw. Once you have positioned the nails perfectly on the hole, you push the handle, and the device will make a clean, single cut. It will trim the entire nail in one single movement. These gentle devices are seen as the best clippers for small and medium-sized dogs.
These are the most recent inventions in the dog clippers industry. Some dog owners view them as the best invention in that field while others see them as a waste of money.
They have a spinning disk of abrasive sandpaper that spins around at high speed. This sandpaper gently grinds away the nail until it reaches your desired length. It is very easy to use, and there is no pain involved.
Users of these devices say that they are one of the calmest and gentlest ways to trim a dog’s nails and allow you to make sure all the nails are of the perfect size and are super smooth as well. The act as a manicure tool than a nail trimming device.
However, on the flip side, it takes longer to trim using a grinder tool than it does use a scissor or guillotine trimmer. You also have to ensure your dog calms down and get used to the sensations of the vibrations created by the grinding. For inexperienced people, this is a safer option, and you are less likely to damage the quick.
How to Choose the Best Dog Clippers
It is important to consider several different factors before clicking that purchase button on Amazon. You need to ensure the nail clipper you choose works great for both you and your canine companion.
Here are the main factors to keep in mind when purchasing a dog clipper;
Type of clipper
There are different types of clippers as discussed above, and each type has its specific functions. Guillotine clippers are best suited for small and medium-sized dogs. For people with large dogs, a scissor clipper will do just fine.
It is good that you choose a clipper that has blades made of stainless steel. This will ensure it doesn’t get rust and thus will remain effective for a long time. Besides, the blades of your clipper must be strong and sharp enough to ensure they get the job done with less effort.
Another important feature to look into is the safety of the clipper. If you are inexperienced, you should go for a clipper that monitors overcutting of your dog’s claws.
For instance, if you accidentally touch the quick area, it will touch your dog’s paw, and this will make you aware that you have crossed the range. This is an important factor you should not ignore if you care about your dog’s safety.
It is important to go for a dog nail clipper that has a safety lock system to avoid unnecessary accidents. This will prevent kids from using it without your authorization.
Tips to Cut Your Dog’s Nails
Avoid the quick. Trimming with a dog nail clipper is easy. You trim the tip of each nail with the preferred clipper you have purchased, and you proceed to the next one. However, you need to trim only the tip of the nail. If you accidentally cut the quick, your dog will bleed profusely. This can instill fear in your dog, and they will remember this experience next time you try to trim their nails. If you get to the soft part of the nail, you need to stop immediately as that is probably the quick area. For dogs with light-colored nails, you will see the quick; it is the thin pinkish line that runs across the length of the nail. It is better to cut too little than to trim the quick.
Trim the hair. There are dogs with long hairs in their paw area. It is advisable to give the paws a little trim before you clip the nails. This will make the nails visible and reduce obstruction.
Calm your dog. The most important part of clipping and trimming your dog’s nails is to get them happy and comfortable before starting the process. Let them lie down and provide them with their favorite treat. Get them used to the idea of you massaging their feet before you begin the clipping process. Once they are well-relaxed, you can start the trimming process.
Top 10 Best Dog Clippers 2019
Now that we know the different types of nail clippers and how to choose the best dog nail clippers, here are the top-rated products on the market (reviewed in no particular order);
Features That Make Epica Professional Nail Clipper Stand Out
- Here’s a highly durable set of dog nail clippers that features high-quality stainless steel blades
- Stainless steel is really durable and rust free, and the blades remain sharp even after trimming the hardest dog nails
- Epica’s Pet Nail Clippers have been designed for medium to large sized dogs such as spaniels, bulldogs, Great Danes, and German shepherds
- The clippers come in 2 sizes for large and small dogs meaning that you get one for the large dogs and another size for puppies and small breeds
- The Epica clippers feature a rubber grip that makes the trimming job really easy without the need to exert too much pressure
- The anti-slip rubber is one of the most impressive features of this best nail clipper as it adds another layer of protection without the likelihood of slipping
- The Epica clippers feature a safety lock which means that you can store the trimmers away without the fear that it can damage your other possessions or hurt yourself in the process
Proc of Epica Professional Nail Clipper
- Has stainless steel blades that are durable and sharp
- Easy to use
- Has rubber-coated handles with security locks
Conc of Epica Professional Nail Clipper
- The product may feel a little bulky especially for small hands
Why We Recommend It
The clippers are very easy to use when trimming your dog’s nails. Better yet, the model features stainless steel and doesn’t cost much. This is a durable nail trimmer that does not rust or bend, and the blades remain sharp all the time.
Features That Make Safari Professional Nail Trimmer Stand Out
- Features that make Safari Professional Nail Trimmer Stand out
- When choosing best Dog clippers, the main factors to consider is quality, performance, and price based on reviews
- In that case, the Safari Professional Dog Trimmer really ticks all the boxes – the price is reasonable, and the products trim your dog’s nails effortlessly
- Safari trimmers are stainless steel, and that means the product is long-lasting and offers unmatched functionality
- The trimmers maintain sharpness for a long time, and this helps deliver quick and easy cut with the product featuring a safety lock that helps prevent injuries
- This is one of the best-selling dog nail trimmers on Amazon and is suitable for both small and large dogs
- The Safari 770045 features rubber coated handles which enhances the grip and hence better control of the clipper
- The spring-loaded mechanism ensures that you get full control and ease when using the trimmer
- This particular model is available in various sizes meaning that you get the right size for your dog
Proc of Safari Professional Nail Trimmer
- Very affordable
- Durable and solid design
- Has texturized rubber handles to enhance grip
Conc of Safari Professional Nail Trimmer
- Makes a popping sound that may scare a nervous dog at first
Why We Recommend It
These clippers feature the best stainless steel out there which ensures that the product remains sharp for a long time. Other impressive features include a safety top to prevent injuries and rubber-coated handles for better grip and control.
Features That Make Trim-Pet Dog Nail Clippers Stand Out
- Numerous positive reviews and buyers guides place this professional nail trimmer at the top of the line – It has an impressive rating on Amazon and great customer reviews
- The best news is that it is pocket-friendly making it a great option for dog lovers on a budget
- It comes with heat treated tempered cutting blades that have been made with stainless steel to ensure sharp cutting surface with a razor sharp edge
- One of the best-highlighted features of this best dog nail clipper is the comfortable large oversize ergonomic handles that reduce hand fatigue
- It features a super strong conical spring that offers smooth performance and better control when getting ready to trim
- Spring loss is impossible with this tool as it has an anti-pinch telescoping spring guard that keeps your hand safe while cutting
- It’s worth noting that the manufacturer offers a full lifetime money back guarantee on this clipper
Proc of Trim-Pet Dog Nail Clippers
- Comfortable oversized handles to reduce hand fatigue
- Safe to use
- Has full money back guarantee
Conc of Trim-Pet Dog Nail Clippers
- People with small hands may find it too bulky
Why We Recommend It
If you have a pet that requires frequent nail clippings, you need a nail trimmer that can stay sharp like the Trim-pet Dog Nail Clippers. The clippers fit comfortably on the hand and make clipping fast even for the nervous dogs. The model is ideal for any dog size whether small, medium or large sized dogs.
Features That Make Pet Republique Professional Dog Nail Clippers Stand Out
- Do you prefer scissor-style nail trimmer? The Pet Republique nail clippers are worth a look
- This is an impressive model that features stainless steel blades that promise durability and stays sharp for a long time
- The blades are strong and sharp so that you get a clean cut without having to splinter your dog’s nails to prevent scaring them
- The handles are designed to be non-slip which ensures you don’t lose grip even when your dog squirms when clipping
- It’s worth noting that these clippers come with a mini nail file so that you can get the nails perfect after finishing the clipping job- this keeps the nails smooth so that your dog doesn’t hurt your skin during training
- These clippers will not injure your dog’s nails as it has a safety guard to prevent overcutting your dog’s nails
- The manufacturer ensures the highest quality during manufacturing to ensure that all parts do not fall apart or get loose
- It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee with an added 12-year warranty which shows the product is high quality
Proc of Pet Republique Professional Dog Nail Clippers
- Sharp and durable blades
- Comfortable non-slip grip
- Has a safety guard
Conc of Pet Republique Professional Dog Nail Clippers
- The handles may feel a little too bulky for small hands
Why We Recommend It
Pet Republique is a reputable brand that has been in the grooming space for quite a long time. This set of dog nail trimmers is one of their flagship products, and this is not a surprise. The model works great offering quick clean cuts without harming your pet.
Features That Make Boshel Dog Nail Trimmers and Clippers Stand Out
- This set of best pet nail trimmer comes with impressive features that you need to keep your puppy and large dogs looking great
- The Boshel Dog Nail Clippers is powerful with high-quality stainless steel blades that will remain strong for years
- It comes with a free nail file to keep the nails smooth
- Its handles are easy to grip hence minimizing the likelihood to slip which aids in control
- The product also contains a safety stop blade that prevents overcutting the nails which can be painful
- There’s an impact spring which does an excellent job of absorbing force which feels comfortable on the wrists and hands
- The quality of the products is great. It also has a great design that plays out very well – the bright blue color looks elegant with the Boshel’s emblem near the blades
- It might be priced a bit higher, but it’s efficient with an ergonomic design that offers exceptional value
Proc of Boshel Dog Nail Trimmers and Clippers
- Has an ergonomic design
- Has huge toenail clippers
- It’s durable
Conc of Boshel Dog Nail Trimmers and Clippers
- While it’s generally easy to use, it has a curved edge that may challenge some users
Why We Recommend It
With a pleasing design, a really effective cutting mechanism, and ease of use, you can see why the clipper gets so many positive reviews from customers. Better yet, it comes with a free nail file which makes the trimming sessions easier.
Features That Make Millers Forge Quality Nail Clipper Stand Out
- One of the most popular names in pet grooming supplies has to be Millers Forge. This manufacturer is known to have durable and high-quality products, and this is no exception
- This is one of the best scissor-style nail clippers you can get featuring super-sharp stainless steel blades that make it extremely easy to work on the toughest dog nails
- These cut effortlessly for clean cuts without having to splinter the nails for a stress-free experience
- The handles are smoother featuring an orange plastic that is non-slippery although it lacks an anti-slip material to increase grip
- Nevertheless, these trimmers allow you to trim thicker and tougher nails without applying too much pressure thanks to the sharp blades it has
- The design is suitable for larger dogs weighing at least 40 pounds as it comes in one size, with the price just right for its design and type
- Most reviews show that it is an impressive trimmer to have as it can cut quickly without fraying or cause nails to bend
Proc of Millers Forge Quality Nail Clipper
- Has sharp blades to cut easily
- Has a durable and robust design
- Features a locking mechanism for safe storage
Conc of Millers Forge Quality Nail Clipper
- The handle is not quality enough
Why We Recommend It
For a large dog, this is of the best nail clippers as it has been made in Italy although they are a bit more expensive. They feature sharp blades with a locking mechanism to prevent hurting you and your dog. You may, however, need to control your hands when using these clippers.
Features That Make Millers Forge Dog Nail Clipper Stand Out
- Need a sturdy and reliable nail clipper from a reputable brand among pet owners?
- These nail clippers from Millers Forge deliver for dogs of all sizes, but the description suggests that they are not suited to the very large breeds
- It boasts a comfortable red plastic grip that allows easy trimming without the likelihood of slipping and causing injuries to your dog
- As with other best dog nail clippers, this one comes with high-quality steel blades that perform quick and clean cuts even with the fussiest dogs
- It features a spring-loaded cutting mechanism that offers enough force to trim thereby making it feel comfortable on the hand
- The US-made clippers have a built-in guard that is adjustable to prevent overcutting the nails. It also has a lock to keep the trimmers closed for safe storage
- The clippers feature a long-lasting and durable construction boasting numerous positive consumer reviews on Amazon
Proc of Millers Forge Dog Nail Clipper
- Accuracy with sharp blades
- Has a guard and safety lock to prevent injuries
- It’s lightweight
Conc of Millers Forge Dog Nail Clipper
- Not suitable for very large breeds
Why We Recommend It
Here’s a sturdy plier-style nail clipper that ensures accuracy with its sharp blades. The fantastic dog nail clipper has been made by a reputable brand with a comfortable grip that features a spring cutting mechanism for better cutting. It has a sturdy construction and should last longer.
Features That Make Simply Pets Online Professional Dog Clippers Stand Out
- When getting a pair of nail clippers for your large breed dog, the main feature to look out for is usability
- The Simply Pets Online Professional Dog Clippers are therefore designed to handle tough nails with ease
- The trimmers have a built-in protective guard that prevents over-trimming which can result in injury and infections
- The guard is also adjustable so that it fits your dog’s nail size perfectly
- The handles have balanced weight that contributes significantly towards the sturdiness to ensure that each nail cut goes through effortlessly and consistently
- Another impressive feature of these best dog clippers is the locking mechanism to prevent accidental cuts
- These clippers are equipped with rubber coated handles which will really improve the grip while also preventing slipping off during trimming which can result in injuries
- You don’t have to worry about the blades wearing out, they are made of quality stainless steel and will not lose their edge anytime soon
- These clippers were designed by veterinarians and are highly recommended by professional veterinarian bodies due to their unique design
Proc of Simply Pets Online Professional Dog Clippers
- Equipped with an ergonomic handle that makes the clipping job easy
- Made of premium materials that are not only durable but also easy to clean
- The clippers are packed with safety features such as a safety lock
- Carefully weighted handles that offer a comfortable grip
Conc of Simply Pets Online Professional Dog Clippers
- Some users complained about the quality of the inbuilt guard feature that may release at times
Why We Recommend It
The Professional Dog Clippers by Simply Pets Online offers more than just cutting abilities; the handles are well balanced for both the user’s safety as well as that of the dog. The Clippers also feature a locking mechanism making them one of the best dog nail clippers 2019.
Features That Make Shiny Pet Nail Clippers Stand Out
- Shiny Pet has become synonymous with eco-friendly products, and their small breed of nail clippers are no different. These clippers feature premium handles made of 100% recycled plastics
- The stainless steel blades offer clean cuts thus preventing nail breakage which can result in infection
- The high-quality stainless steel is also hypoallergenic making it safe to use on any small breed dogs
- Instructional eBooks are also provided with each purchase; these contain detailed information as well as tutorials on how to use the clippers safely
- The blades are also angled to give extra navigation room thus allowing you to clip nails even on tiny feet easily
- The anti-slip handles offer perfect grip preventing slipping while trimming
Proc of Shiny Pet Nail Clippers
- Offers heavy-duty clipping capability while still maintaining the lightweight build
- Windowed opening for added visibility and improved cutting angles
- The semi-circular design ensures clean cuts
Conc of Shiny Pet Nail Clippers
- The clippers lack a fast locking guard
Why We Recommend It
The Shiny Pet Small breed Nail clippers offer some serious clipping capabilities thanks to the stainless steel blades. The clippers are highly recommended for small breed owners due to their design which ensures even the thinnest nails get a clean and precise cut without any troubles.
Features That Make Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Tool Stand Out
- Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Tool is the ultimate alternative to clipping; this rotary tool features a variable speed motor that turns a sanding drum for a smooth trim job
- The two variable speeds are more than enough to deal with various nail sizes and coarseness. And if the extra speed isn’t enough, you can always switch the sanding drum to a rougher one like the 60-grit
- This grooming tool operates on rechargeable batteries; what this means is that you don’t have to worry about getting tangled up by any cords and can also be used outdoors
- Dremel uses a modular design which makes it a whole lot easier to upgrade the grooming tool. This also means its compatible with other Dremel sanding drums, bands as well as motors
- The 4.8 Volt battery pack will provide enough juice to trim your dog’s nails severally before requiring a recharge
- The ambient noise produced by the grooming tool while trimming nails will help to calm your pet thus making the whole process easier to carry out
Proc of Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Tool
- The device is comfortable to use and is safer compared to blade clippers
- Two variable speeds to choose from
- The cordless operation allows the product to be used outdoors
Conc of Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Tool
- If you run out of juice while trimming you have to wait until the batteries are recharged which takes around 3hours
Why We Recommend It
An electric grooming tool will always give better results compared to other models of its range. For this reason, the Dremel 7300-PT Grooming Tool comes highly recommended and will simplify the task of trimming your dog’s nails. Fortunately, it uses powerful batteries making it great for outdoor use.
And that is it! We have covered everything you need to know about dog nail trimmers/clippers. I’m sure you are now more than ready to purchase the best grooming tool for your furry companion now that we have guided you through the process of choosing the right dog nail clipper and reviewed the top 10 best in the market.
The good thing is that the top 10 dog nail clippers we have reviewed in this list are the best on the market at the moment, and each will give you the best value for your money.
Besides, our handy buyer’s guide has given you a good insight on how to choose the best nail clipper for the dog.
You May Also Interested In:
- 6 Best Dog Boots Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- 3 Best Dog DNA Test Kits Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- 10 Best Dog Toothpastes Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 10 Best Dog Probiotics Reviews and Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)