10 Healthiest and Best Dry Cat Foods Reviews with Guide 2018
Are you feeding your cat healthy food? As cat owners, we always aim to give our feline friend the best food. But with the market flooded with many brands and varieties of cat foods, do you know the best dry cat food you can give your kitty?
Well, dry cat foods come in all sizes, flavors, and shapes. Stacked with various minerals, nutrients, and proteins, there are not only healthy for your cats, but also tasty treats. Your cat will enjoy eating them every time, and as a cat owner, you will love serving your kitty with these foods.
However, since no one product can be best for every cat, you need to know how to choose the best dry food for your cat. That’s why we have prepared a comprehensive guide for you before reviewing the top 10 best dry cat food on the market.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
How to Choose the Best Dry Cat Food
One thing you should keep in mind when buying dry food for your cat is that they quite different from other pets such as rabbit and dogs.
Cats need a specific kind of food because they are very picky about what they eat. However, one thing that should be in plenty is protein.
Here are some important things to keep in mind when choosing the best dry food for cats.
You need to choose a product that has natural minerals and vitamins in sumptuous amounts to help you grow a happy, healthy cat. However, steer clear of dry cat foods that have a lot of colors and flavors as these can cause health issues.
Size of the Food
Most of the times, dry cat foods come in shapes of balls and pellets. These balls and pellets should be big enough to fit in your cat mouth. If they are too small, then it becomes difficult for kittens to eat. The size of the food is an important thing to consider, especially if you are buying dry foods for your kitten.
Buy from Trustworthy Food Brand
I am not discouraging you from going with newer brands or those that offer huge discounts. However, I’m only trying to help you avoid getting into traps of testing foods on your cats. However, even if you want to go with newer brands that make dry cat food, ensure they have used all-natural ingredients, and their foods have enough protein content. Also, ensure there is no presence of artificial preservatives or colors as this can prove to be lethal for your cats.
Dry cat foods are different from wet foods as they are not wet and do not have a smooth texture. That’s why you need to buy dry foods with natural flavors so that cats can love their smell and taste.
What Ingredients Should You Look For In Best Dry Cat Food?
When you check the list of ingredients in most cat dry food, you will notice that it is a long list. But how do you differentiate between the best ingredients and those to avoid?
Here is the answer; go for foods with the following ingredients;
This is one of the most important ingredients that should not lack in a cat’s diet. Therefore, if you see a dry cat food with no high-quality protein, then avoid it. You need to feed your cat food that is rich in protein.
Category of Protein
Now that we’ve said that a good amount of protein should be included in any dry cat food, you need to know the source of the protein. Not every source of protein is healthy for your cat. For example, protein from chicken or meat is great for your cat’s health. However, protein from soy and corn is not good for them.
Try to go for dry cat food that has natural flavors in them. Foods with artificial colors and flavors pose a danger to your cat’s health in the long run. They might cause health-related issues later.
Also, go for foods with natural preservatives in it such as Vitamin C and E. These preservatives will not cause harm to your cat’s health.
This is essential for the overall health of cats. The deficiency of taurine can result in retinal degeneration as well as heart diseases for your cat.
Ingredients to Avoid
Meat by-products are considered low-quality protein for cats. Therefore, you should avoid cat foods that have listed meat by-products as one of the ingredients.
BHT, BHA, and Ethoxyquin
BHT, BHA, and Ethoxyquin are chemical preservatives that are used for preserving dry foods. For many years, they have been linked to different types of cancers in pets. This is the reason that a lot of cat food manufacturers are now turning to use natural preservatives such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E to preserve dry foods instead of these chemical preservatives. Therefore, if you see any of these preservatives listed as one of the ingredients, then steer away from that cat food.
Felines do not have a lot of carbohydrate needs. That’s why you need your cat food to contain a small amount of carbohydrates sourced from high-quality grains and not gluten. If you want your furry friend to stay healthy for many years, then avoid feeding him with foods that have low-quality grains.
Several low-quality dry cat foods have over 50% of their foods made from grains. Sometimes, carbohydrate content is too much high that the older cats get affected. As mentioned, larger quantities of carbohydrates can be dangerous to your cats, especially those suffering from diabetes. Therefore, avoid foods with a lot of carbohydrates in them.
Best Dry Cat Foods 2018
Having understood how to buy the best dry cat food, now we can review the top 10 best dry foods for kitten and cats. After analyzing more than 40 dry cat foods in the market, these are the ones that made the cut.
Features That Make Taste of the Wild High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food Stand Out
- Taste of the wild is a reputable brand among a majority of pet owners for the healthiest and all natural diets that a cat craves
- Nourish your favorite feline friend with this balanced Rocky Mountain grain-free cat food that has been formulated using premium ingredients
- The primary sources of protein include roasted venison and smoked salmon
- This is a grain free recipe that has included peas and sweet potatoes which are good energy sources for your active cat
- The dry dog food is formulated using natural antioxidants from real veggies and fruits
- Better yet, it has chicory root to offer prebiotic support as well as healthy digestion
- Essential minerals have been chelated with amino acids to enhance their digestion for healthy skin and coat
- Comes with various flavors so that you can choose according to your dog’s preferences
- The natural recipe has been made in the USA by a family-owned company and has surpassed pet food safety protocols because your friend deserves nothing but the best
Proc of Taste of the Wild High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food
- High protein content from venison and salmon
- Grain free diet for easy digestion
- Offers different flavors
Conc of Taste of the Wild High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food
- Some cats may find the big pieces difficult to chew
Why We Recommend It
This is a high protein natural cat food that comes with real animal meat to ensure that your four-legged friend gets enough amino acids. The cat food is easily digestible because it comes with no grains. Better yet, there are different flavors to choose from.
Features That Make Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Dry Cat Food Stand Out
- Blue Buffalo is known for their emphasis on protein content in any diet they make
- Feed your kitty with this nutritious cat recipe made with real chicken as the first ingredients for enough supply of proteins
- This dog food comes with omegas and amino acids with added LifeSource bits from Blue Buffalo to enhance the immune system of your feline friend
- One fantastic feature of this dog food is the natural fiber and probiotics blend that helps prevent your cat from gaining too much weight
- The cat food has been made in a way that supports healthy digestion Thanks to the prebiotic included in this formula
- It delivers loads of taurine which helps improve your cat’s vision and heart health
- Your cat maintains a healthy immunity with this food thanks to the vitamins and minerals it offers
- This dog food has been made in the USA with no grains, by-products, gluten or soy for cats with sensitivities and allergies
Proc of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Dry Cat Food
- Wholesome recipe with no grains
- Has minerals and LifeSource bits for improved immunity
- No artificial byproducts included
Conc of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Natural Dry Cat Food
- This recipe is expensive compared to other foods, but you get value for your money
Why We Recommend It
Let your cat enjoy this delicious meal with real chicken as the primary ingredient. It packs enough protein to keep your kitty looking strong and satisfy his cravings for meat. The recipe is packed with LifeSource Bits that offer immunity support. Better yet, there are prebiotic fibers in every bite to ensure healthy digestion.
Features That Make Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Food Stand Out
- This formula is best suited to kittens between 4 months and 1 year
- The formula delivers enough energy supply, healthy teeth development and strong bones and muscles to ensure a balanced growth for your kitten
- That’s why it features a special mix of easily digestible proteins, vitamins and the required minerals for a maturing kitty
- It features a special blend of vitamins and antioxidants from veggies and fruits to strengthen the immune system
- The dog food has small kibble which is easy to chew and swallow, and this works perfectly for kittens with small mouths and emerging teeth
Proc of Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Food
- Offers high nutrition with kittens looking healthier after eating this food
- Most kittens love food taste
- The dog food is inexpensive
Conc of Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Food
- While most kittens love this food, some may become ill after consuming
Why We Recommend It
Royal Canin uses only premium ingredients to ensure healthy digestion of food and keep the natural defense of your kitten strong. It offers a healthy supply of proteins, vitamins, and minerals and hence you can be sure that your kitten will thrive on this recipe.
Features That Make Purina Fancy Dry Cat Food Stand Out
- The fancy gourmet fillet flavor with real seafood and shrimp will turn your cat’s mealtime into a gourmet feast
- This recipe features crunchy kibble with high protein nutrition that your cat craves featuring a delicious taste of chicken and turkey
- The recipe is enhanced with vitamins and minerals to enhance your kitty’s well-being with added taurine for heart and vision improvement
- It comes in filet mignon flavor, real shrimp and other seafood for a delicious taste
- This meal is packed with nutritionally complete ingredients which are balanced for all cats with essential nutrients required for your cat’s growth
- It delivers flavors that cats love and can be served as a complete meal or can be topped with your pal’s favorite wet food
- Purina is a US-based pet food brand and uses premium ingredients to ensure value
- This cat food comes in a peel and seal bag so that the kibble can stay fresher longer
Proc of Purina Fancy Dry Cat Food
- Has an enticing flavor that your cat will love
- Enhances your cat’s digestion
- Has perfectly sized kibble with a smooth texture
Conc of Purina Fancy Dry Cat Food
- Has a few filler ingredients
Why We Recommend It
If you have found it difficult to get tasty food for your picky cat, this is a sound pick. The crunchy morsels offer an enticing texture that will give her a reason to purr. If you are looking for high quality, you can rest assured that your pet has a quality serving.
Features That Make Meow Mix Dry Cat Food Stand Out
- Meow Mix original choice is a popular and best-selling cat food 2018
- It offers an amazing dried option for your cat and has a lower price compared to similar products
- The most impressive feature of this dog food is the ideal amount of high-quality protein that helps boast strong and healthy muscles
- The meal is also enriched with the most delicious flavors of salmon, ocean fish, chicken, turkey and much more to offer your cat enough choices
- The recipe comes with essential minerals and vitamins giving a cat one-hundred percent and complete nutrition
- Ingredients of this cat food have been sourced in the US, and the food meets all AAFCO requirements
Proc of Meow Mix Dry Cat Food
- Has high-quality proteins to support healthy muscles
- Has included essential minerals and vitamins
- Made in the USA
Conc of Meow Mix Dry Cat Food
- A few owners reported that their cat had stomach upset consuming this dog food
Why We Recommend It
This is one of the best adult cat dry food to keep your cat healthy and happy. It offers all the essential nutrients that your cat needs to stay in shape. The diet includes high-quality protein as well as essential fatty acids to keep your cat’s coat looking great. The meal comes with irresistible flavors to choose for your cat.
Features That Make Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Food Stand Out
- This dog food contains simple, yet natural ingredients making it a perfect food to keep your cat in good health regardless of size and breed
- The formula boasts of use real farm raised chicken and processed by one of the trusted brands in the USA
- It has been packed with wholesome veggies and fruits which adds a dose of vitamins and antioxidants for proper health
- The protein-rich chicken delivers micronutrient-dense fruits and vegetables in its formulation, and this will keep your aging cat looking happy and healthy
- This is an ideal dry food for indoor cats as it fits their needs
- It comes with lentils which offer natural fibers for healthy digestion and healthy weight
- The cat food has pumpkin in the ingredients list which offers prebiotics to further aid in digestion
Proc of Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Food
- Has a high level of protein with animal protein as the number 1 ingredient
- Promotes healthy digestion for your cat
- Doesn’t contain gluten or artificial ingredients
Conc of Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Food
- The company included soybean which is a red flag ingredient
Why We Recommend It
This is a worthy brand to get behind due to the all-natural diets they offer. This food from Rachael Ray is full of natural probiotics that aid in digestion. The natural food has no artificial flavors and preservatives and makes a perfect option for owners looking to best natural dry cat food.
Features That Make Purina Cat Chow Chicken & Turkey Dry Food Stand Out
- For cats suffering from stomach upsets and allergies, here’s a worthy option
- It’s an excellent choice for picky eaters offering a good amount of high-quality protein to make the fur and skin beautiful
- The food is carefully packaged in a large bag, and the price is extremely affordable allowing you to keep a happy and healthy cat within your budget
- One of the most highlighted features in this best dry cat food is that it contains no artificial flavors and is an extremely natural and healthy food
- This is one of the healthiest dry cat food with the right proportion of ingredients to ensure healthy weight for your feline friend
Proc of Purina Cat Chow Chicken & Turkey Dry Food
- Has animal protein as the primary ingredient which is required in a cat’s diet
- Has all essential nutrients without any preservatives and fillers
- Has a budget-friendly price
Conc of Purina Cat Chow Chicken & Turkey Dry Food
- Some cats don’t like the taste of this dog food
Why We Recommend It
Purina is one of the best cat brands that experts recommend as they offer natural ingredients and do not use fillers. This product is not an exception as it offers a natural fiber blend which works great if you want to help your cat control hairballs. The cat food has natural vitamins and minerals to ensure that your cat maintains a healthy weight.
Features That Make Nutro MAX Indoor Cat Adult Dry Cat Food Stand Out
- Nutro Natural Choice has been in the pet nutrition industry since 1926
- The company’s mission is to offer pets natural and healthy nutrition that comes from wholesome ingredients
- Nutro Max Indoor Cat food is made using premium ingredients, vitamins, and minerals for balanced nutrition of your cat
- The meal offers an excellent source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to ensure a glossy and rich coat
- The formula is loaded with antioxidants from blueberries and cranberries to boost the immune system
- The meal comes with easily digestible ingredients to make it easy for your cat
- Nutro preserves their food naturally, and hence they don’t contain BHT or BHA to ensure your cat gets value for your money
- The kibble of this dog food comes in appealing shapes and sizes, and that makes it easy to chew, swallow and digest
The kibble also boasts a rich aroma that will keep the cat purring for this food
Proc of Nutro MAX Indoor Cat Adult Dry Cat Food
- Uses chicken as the primary ingredient
- Has easy to digest kibble for your cat
- No artificial flavors or preservatives used
Conc of Nutro MAX Indoor Cat Adult Dry Cat Food
- Some cats may not like this food at first, but a slow transition is always recommended
Why We Recommend It
This adult cat food from Nutro brand has chicken and whole brown rice as its main ingredients. These two provide a good nutritional value for your cat. The calorie content of this food could be a little lower, but its higher fiber content helps with digestion. It also has decent levels of fat and other minerals.
Features That Make Iams Proactive Health Original Dry Food Stand Out
- Need proactive nutrition for your cat? This is a natural and dry cat food that comes with nutrients and a composition that promotes healthy weight and prevents the formation of hairballs
- The food features a real deboned chicken as a primary ingredient so that your cat can enjoy a delicious, flavorful meal
- With a high-quality chicken, this dry food for cat offers a wide range of amino acids that your cat needs to look healthy
- This IAMS dry cat food has a fibrous blend of beet pulp which ensures that your feline friend doesn’t develop hairball build-up
- This food ensures quality with all the company’s meals being checked regularly to meet the standards of FDA and USDA
- You should expect your cat to ask for more of this formula as it tastes delicious and meets all the needs of your cat
Proc of Iams Proactive Health Original Dry Food
- Uses chicken as the main ingredient
- Helps boost the immune system of your cat
- It meets all the necessary quality standards
- Formulated for adult cats
Conc of Iams Proactive Health Original Dry Food
- A customer reported that they received the bag slit open
Why We Recommend It
Looking for a recipe that can keep your cat full and satisfied? This is one of the best dry cat food for adult cats. It offers chicken as the main ingredient which makes it delicious and healthy for your furry friend. Better yet, it exceeds the standards of USDA and FDA.
Features That Make Hill’s Science Diet Dry Kitten Food Stand Out
- The most impressive thing about this cat food is the number 1 ingredient which is chicken
- This is an excellent protein source that offers high-quality protein and supply of amino acids to keep the fur glossy
- The food comes with whole grain wheat is a good energy source for your active cat and offers a lot of dietary fiber for better digestive health
- There’s also chicken fat which is a high-quality protein source and offers fatty acids
- The recipe has natural DH from fish oil to ensure a healthy brain for your growing kitten
- The formula is free of artificial colors and preservatives, so you know that your cat is feeding on natural ingredients
- Manufactured in the United States, each ingredient used meets strict requirements set by the pet nutrition industry
- This food is suitable for kittens less than 1-year-old and pregnant cats
Proc of Hill’s Science Diet Dry Kitten Food
- Has enough proteins for early development
- Reasonably priced
Conc of Hill’s Science Diet Dry Kitten Food
- Contains wheat which may trigger allergy
Why We Recommend It
This dry cat chicken recipe offers your four-legged friend with great tasting nutrition which leads to a happy and long life. The presence of wholesome ingredients such as savory chicken makes this food a perfect option for your growing kitty. The manufacturer is US based which ensures purity for ingredients.
Tips on Feeding Your Kittens and Cats
Here are a few tips to keep in mind while feeding dry food to your kittens or cats;
- If you have small kittens at home, remember that they cannot easily chew dry food because of their soft tooth. And besides, it can cause discomfort because their digestive systems are not strong enough to handle dry food
Therefore, before serving dry food to them, add some water so they can become softened. However, do not add too much water. The aim is to make the food chewable
- Cats are carnivorous animals. Thus, you should feed them dry food that has a high amount of quality meat content and low amount of quality grains for their energy needs. These foods will not only help them grow healthy but also make their bones stronger
- Always follow the guidelines given by your cat’s vets. This is especially important if your cat has had health issues such as diabetes. Also, vets are the only people who can tell you the amount of food you can serve your cat for them to have a healthy weight
- Cats do not drink a lot of water as compared to dogs. However, it is wise to designate an area where they can get clean and fresh water
- Keep in mind that changing your cat’s diet is not an easy thing. If you used to feed them with wet cat foods or did not have any specific food for them, you should not subject them to drastic diet changes. Whatever dry food you want to add to his diet must be done slowly. Their digestive system needs time to adjust. After they get used to the current food, you can now feed them on a regular basis.
Is Dry Cat Food Better Than Wet Food?
There is no right or wrong answer to this question. It is common for people to have strong options on this matter, but most don’t have facts to back their opinions.
Frankly, both premium dry and wet foods for cats are very similar regarding nutrition. And by premium, we mean foods manufactured by reputable brands.
However, the biggest difference between them is that dry foods do not provide the same moisture content as their wet counterparts.
A cat that eats solely dry food drinks more water than that feeding on wet food. However, most people are balancing this by combining both dry and wet food. Those who stick with dry foods, often invest in a drinking fountain to make it easier for their cats to drink water for them to stay hydrated.
At the end of the day, wet and dry cat foods are both great options, and it comes down to your preference. You can combine the two to get to enjoy the benefits of both worlds and keep your cat’s mealtime exciting.
All the best dry cat foods we have reviewed here are very popular among cat owners around the world. These dry foods for cats have helped pet owners raise their lovely kittens and cats with the best diet that comprises proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins. The impressive ratings and a high number of positive reviews these products have garnered is an indication that they are worth the money.
Kittens over 20 weeks and adult cats can easily grab pellet-shaped foods and swallow them without choking. Hence, feeding them with these foods is the best option. Virtually all the above dry foods for cats we have reviewed here are gluten-free and have no artificial flavors or preservatives. By choosing any of them, you will definitely have a great time feeding your cat, and he will be looking forward to meal times.
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Best Wet Cat Food Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Automatic Cat Feeders Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Water Fountains Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Toys Review and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Tree Reviews and Comprehensive Guide
- 10 Best Cat Litter Box Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 5 Best Cat Flea Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)