10 Best Cat Litter Box Reviews and Buyer Guide 2018
If you are adopting a cat or you already have a pet cat, you are aware of the importance of finding the best cat litter box. Kitties are very independent creatures, and they appreciate doing their business in private in a nice litter box.
With the market flooded with different models that have different features, it can be a daunting task to find the right litter box for your cat.
However, we are here to help you out. When shopping for a new cat litter box, there are a couple of factors you need to consider.
We have compiled a handy buyer’s guide to help you understand various details about finding the best litter box for cats and also reviewed the top 10 best cat litter boxes on the market.
Let’s get started.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
How Do You Choose The Best Cat Litter Box?
As with any product in the market today, there are many factors you need to look into when selecting a litter box for your cat.
It can be confusing trying to compare different litter boxes. To help you narrow down your choices, we have compiled the main factors you need to keep in mind when shopping for the best cat litter box.
Size of the Box
This depends on the size of your kitty. Kittens, for instance, may fear using a regular-sized litter box. Besides, it can be too high for them to get inside. On the other hand, an adult cat finds a small litter box meant for kittens difficult to use.
To buy the right litter box, choose one that is 1.5 times bigger than the size of your cat. Small litter boxes are best for small cats and small kittens. Large litter boxes can accommodate two small cats or one big cat. There are mega litter boxes designed for pet owners with more than three cats.
Type of Litter Box
Litter boxes are of different types.
Open Top Litter Box
These come in rectangular shape and are easy to use. The self-cleaning ones feature sensors that activate cleaning cycles minutes after your cat leaves the box. They are relatively affordable and are great for pet owners on a tight budget. However, these litter boxes may not suit cats that are shy to relieve themselves in the open.
Covered Litter Box
These boxes give cats more privacy as compared to open litter boxes. The upper cover helps prevent your cat from spilling over litter when it is trying to cover it up. They are also great for controlling the odor. There are also some boxes with optional covers.
Self-Cleaning Litter Box
They are pricier than other models, but they help a lot to cut down on cleaning time. They have an electric rake that scoops away any solids on the litter. In addition to being pricey, another downside to these litter boxes is that they require a cold water line and a wastewater drain to work properly.
Hidden Litter Box
This box goes incognito thanks to its design that blends into its surrounding. Popular hidden litter box designs are made to look like other furniture or a planter so that only your cat and you know it is a restroom.
Shifting Litter Box
This model allows you to sieve clumps from the unused litter. This is made possible by the secondary box that is normally tucked into the litter box.
All these types of litter boxes have their pros and cons and come at different prices. It is up to you to buy the right one for your cat and needs.
Age and Health of Your Kitty
Some older cats have a low night vision, and thus may need a bight litter box or one with a night light to help them locate it in the dark. There are also litter boxes fitted with a health counter to help you identify any changes in your cat metabolism.
Ease of Use
Some litter boxes are easier to use than others. Make sure to select a litter box that is comfortable for your cat.
For instance, models with entryways on top of the box can help cut down on litter being scattered around the house. This can be helpful if you have other pets such as a dog or young kids, who may try to access the box. On the downside, these type of litter boxes may pose a challenge to elderly, large, or obese kitties. These cats require a lower entry point for easy access into the box.
Number of Cats
There are different sizes and designs of litter boxes on the market meant to cater to different needs. Some are designed to cater to one cat while others are big enough to accommodate two or three cats simultaneously. Therefore, choose the one that best suits your needs.
Size of Your Cat
Most cats weigh less than 10 pounds. Standard litter boxes on the market can accommodate most cats of this size. However, if your cat weighs more than 10 pounds, then you may have to look for a litter box that can accommodate her.
Conversely, if your kitten weighs less than 5 pounds or is not tall enough, it may not get detected by the motion sensors fitted in most self-cleaning litter boxes. If this is the case, you may be forced to go for a litter box with a manual start option.
You should also consider how easy it is to clean and maintain a litter box. Some cat litter boxes require to be cleaned more often than others. Depending on your schedules and availability, you can choose between one with a manual cleanup process and those that are self-cleaning.
Size of Your House
For people living in a mansion, this factor may not apply to them. However, if you live in an apartment, studio, or condominium, you need to go for a litter box that is not too noisy during its self-cleaning cycles and large for your space.
There are litter boxes designed with silencing features that don’t bother you when self-cleaning themselves. Buy a model that fits the size of the space you intend to place it.
Other crucial factors to consider include;
- Warranty period
- Included supplies and spare parts availability
- Price of the model and your set budget
Now that you have the knowledge needed to choose the right litter box, take a look at our top 10 best cat litter boxes 2018 so you can choose the right one.
Best Cat Litter Boxes 2018
After spending almost 50 hours researching and comparing the best litter boxes, we found the following models to be the best and top-rated.
We based our choice on several factors including, entry, door, cover, odor control, ease of cleaning, weight, length, warranty, accessories included, and height.
Features That Make Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan Stand Out
- If you need to buy a cat litter box that doesn’t cost you a fortune, one that is comfortable and offers privacy for your feline friend, this could be the product you’re looking for
- This box boasts a large lifting hood that feels practical to open, empty and refill
- It comes with a magic blue filter that helps eliminate litter odor
- This is one of the best litter boxes for multiple cats that can comfortably fit 3 cats at once
- The cat litter box measures 22 x 17 x 18 inches, and this makes it big and private
- It features a deep base of up to 4 inches or more so that your feline friend will instinctively try to bury their waste
- The litter box offers a great design with a shape, size, and color that will easily match your décor
- It provides a top and a base with a warm gray accent color, and this will change how your bathroom looks like
- This device is easy to disassemble and assemble, and this only makes your work to clean it easier
- It contains 4 locking tabs that make it look compact and sturdier
- One of the best things you get with it is portability when you need to take your cat with you outside your home
Proc of Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- It can be used for multiple cats
- It is inexpensive
- Easy to open and clean
Conc of Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Some cats may take time to get used to the odor
Why We Recommend It
This cat litter box offers your cat with privacy while keeping the litter inside. The large hood makes it easy to access the box and clean with the carbon filter helping in odor elimination. The Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat litter Pan is suitable for households with multiple cats as its big enough.
Features That Make IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with a Scoop Stand Out
- Finally, a litter box that doesn’t look like a litter box at a budget-friendly price
- This IRIS litter box offers a stylish look that you can comfortably place it in the open of your home
- You can even tuck away the little scoop or hung it inside the box, and this is the flexibility you need as a cat owner
- This comes with a grooved lid that ensures that the litter doesn’t get out
- And while it’s thought that removing the top could be difficult, this is not a deal breaker in a practical situation
- The opening of the litter box is large enough to allow easier scooping of the litter even without removing the lid
- The small scoop is replaceable with any other scoop, but this original one does a fair job
- The litter pan features an attractive finish and offers a matching scoop for easy cleanup
- Its dimensions are 19 x 15 x 11.75 hence a large cat litter box to keep your floors clean
Proc of IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with a Scoop
- Has a refined design
- Has an easily removable lid
- Has a dog detergent
Conc of IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with a Scoop
- Some cats won’t use it at first
Why We Recommend It
This is a modern looking litter that comes in an oval shape. The open top cat litter with shield and scoop ensures that your cat has a private place to do business. The litter pan offers plenty of space and is easy to access for your cat. It can fit nearly everywhere, thanks to its compact size and a recessed bottom.
Features That Make Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Stand Out
- The tidy cat breeze offers a much easier way to clean litter around your home by making it easier for your cat
- This litter box system separates urine from solid waste through the litter pellets and pads included
- The litter pellets are dust free while the breeze litter helps to absorb urine hence minimizing odors
- The cat poop stays on top of the pellets which makes it easier to scoop, but you can simply dispose the litter pad and replace with a fresh one
- This litter box is suitable for homes with multiple cats though you may need to consider regular maintenance in that scenario
- This litter box is well-suited to cats that pee a lot, small sized cats around 10 lbs. and for people allergic to the regular cat litter products
Proc of Purina Tidy Cats Breeze
- Reduces litter tracking
- Easy to assemble and use
- Help reduce odor
Conc of Purina Tidy Cats Breeze
- Maybe an expensive option considering that you may need to use pellets and pads
Why We Recommend It
The Tidy Cat Breeze Litter box from Purina is the answer to managing your cat’s excretions and litter, thanks to its trustworthy system that separates urine from solid waste. This will significantly help reduce odor making it a hassle-free system to use.
Features That Make Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box Stand Out
- The Kitty’s Wonderbox features a 100% biodegradable and leak-proof paper that’s recyclable for up to a month
- The disposable litter pan boasts an air filtration feature that keeps your litter dry and odor free for up to a month
- The good thing is you can use it alone or put it inside a traditional litter tray to make your clean up tasks easier
- This tray is claw proof, and this makes it suitable for cats that love to dig deep
- And while the box can collect any kind of litter, it offers easy cleaning as you only need to throw it away and start with a new one
- The litter box features sturdy construction, and this eliminates the worry off leakages
- It comes in a set of 1 or 3 pans, and you can get litter boxes of different size from small to jumbo sizes
- The Kitty’s Wonderbox has been made in the USA with a recyclable material that can survive the abuse of your feline friend
Proc of Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box
- Comes with a leak-proof and biodegradable material that can last for a month
- Has a sturdy construction that can last up to 4 weeks
- Has a breathable surface to reduce odor buildup
Conc of Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box
- Could be studier
Why We Recommend It
For a disposable litter box, the Purina Kitty Wonderbox Litter Box is a worthy pick that offers excellent value for money. This box comes with amazing features such as uncovered disposable cat litter pan with a biodegradable and leak-proof paper.
Features That Make Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan Stand Out
- This litter box was made to keep away dogs and protect them from the litter
- This works best if you have a cat and a dog, and you need to protect the dog from the litter
- The dog may attempt fitting his head inside the litter that’s 15 inches deep, but it will never get to the litter
- And although the litter box is dog proof, it may depend on the size of your dog and how persistent it is to get to the litter box
- The box measures 15.07 x 20.29 x 15.2 inches, and it’s effortless to clean
- The lid offers a suitable texture for kittens to get onto the top surface and has a grating to ensure that any stray kitten falls back into the litter box
- This is one of the best litter boxes for old cats who experience trouble jumping as the lid is non-slip
- It comes with conveniently designed handles to make it easier for pet parents to lift the boxes
- The lid comprises a hinge but can be removed for easier cleaning
- Note that you have to purchase the scoop separately from the box
Proc of Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
- Has a non-slip lid
- Protected from dogs
- Easy to clean
Conc of Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
- Has a relatively low-quality build according to some pet owners
Why We Recommend It
This is a spacious litter box that is suitable for homes with many pets. The inside of the box is large enough to ensure comfort and privacy for your cat, and the grated lit makes cleaning easier. The lid is non-slid for kitten and old cats.
Features That Make PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box Stand Out
- Do you need a litter box that will not call for a manual cleanup process? This is a spacious cat litter box that packs essential features that your cat will like
- It comes with extra high walls that prevent the litter from getting outside the box
- It boasts an automatic rake that’s removable for easy cleaning and a safety bar to offer the rake stops in case there’s a blockage
- It has a plastic tray lining that prevents leakages
- This self-cleaning litter box has low-tracking crystals that are dust-free and do not stick to your cat’s feet
Proc of PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- Automatically scoops the litter
- Offers easy cleaning options
- Has health counters to help you detect any changes in the cat metabolism
Conc of PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box
- It’s quite pricey compared to other litter boxes in its category
Why We Recommend It
This self-cleaning litter box is well-suited for busy people with little time to do manual cleanups. It is easy to use and you and can be left for weeks without worrying about changing the crystal litter. Better yet, you don’t have to worry about odor.
Features That Make Ware Manufacturing Scatterless Lock-n-Litter Pan Stand Out
- The lock mechanism on this pan makes it the best litter pan for potty training your cat; this is because the lock prevents messy spills all over which could lead to infections
- The Ware Manufacturing litter pan can be locked onto the cage keeping it firmly attached and preventing it from getting toppled over
- The materials used include stain and odor free plastic with a non-stick lining that makes it easier to clean the litter pan
- Lock-n-litter pan has a low entry point making it more accessible for even young kittens and old cats with a large space that measures 12-3/4inch width by 9-1/4 inch depth with a height of 6 inches
- Ware Manufacturing has included a wire floor and a plastic guard that will keep your cats from getting into contact with the litter thus keeping them clean
Proc of Ware Manufacturing Scatterless Lock-n-Litter Pan
- The build quality is high and durable
- Easy to clean and disinfect
- Prevents litter scattering in the cage
Conc of Ware Manufacturing Scatterless Lock-n-Litter Pan
- The litter pan can be too small for your adult cats
Why We Recommend It
The scatterless Lock-n-Litter Pan is made of premium plastic with a layer of non-stick protection that makes it a whole lot easier to clean. The pan will also attach to any cage firmly thereby preventing spillage; this makes it an excellent choice if you need a potty training pan for your cat.
Features That Make IRIS Top Entry Litter Box Stand Out
- The open top entry provides the perfect way for your cats to do their business comfortably while also preventing litter scattering. It also helps to contain spraying.
- IRIS has incorporated a grooved lid that will help in removing litter particles from your cat’s paws keeping them clean
- To ensure that the litter pan is cleaned thoroughly the company has used a rounded shape and also included a litter scoop which fits well
- The outer dimensions measure 20.47inch by 16,4inch width and a height of 14.56 inches making it not only comfortable for your cats but also easily accessible
- The sleek and beautiful design will be a welcome sight in any home and also easy for your cat to spot it
- The large entryway also makes it easy for you to potty train your cat on the IRIS Top Entry Litter Box without creating a mess on floors
Proc of IRIS Top Entry Litter Box
- Rounded design that is easier to clean
- Slick design that allows the litter pan to fit in perfectly in your house without looking out of place
- The top entry will be comfortable for any cat while the grooved lid will keep your cat’s paws clean all day long
Conc of IRIS Top Entry Litter Box
- Some customers did complain that the litter pan does not contain the odor as well as it should.
Why We Recommend It
The top entry design makes the IRIS Top Entry Litter Box a favorite for all adult pets. The model also allows the cat to move around on top. The grooved lead will clean off any litter particles from your cat’s paws.
Features That Make AmazonBasics Hooded Cat Litter Box Stand Out
- This covered litter box does its job as effective as it should. The cover helps prevent odors and also gives your cat some privacy
- This box comes in two sizes with the standard size meant for regular-sized cats while a larger box is meant for giant cats. The standard size is neat and would be suitable for people in an apartment
- It is made of polypropylene, which is both stain and odor resistant
- The door swings effortlessly in both direction, and it’s light enough that kittens can deal with
- The hood is easy to remove to allow for easy cleaning
- Besides polypropylene, this litter box has replaceable carbon filter that deals with odors
- It might not have a trendy design, but it does what it is designed to do. In other words, it is functional and effective
Proc of AmazonBasics Hooded Cat Litter Box
- Its hood snaps on and off easily for easier cleaning
- The opaque door helps keep inside business discreet
- It works for kittens as well
- The cover prevents litter from spilling outside the box
Conc of AmazonBasics Hooded Cat Litter Box
- The small opening in the back can cause leakages
- It could be made firmer
Why We Recommend It
This litter box says it all in its name; it is a hooded litter box that offers privacy and cleanliness for your cats and kittens. It helps contain odor and delivers as described. It does its job with minimal hassle.
Features That Make Good Pet Hidden Litter Box Stand Out
- The Good Pet Hidden Litter Box has a clay pot molding as the main adorned with plants. This gives it an all-natural look and to enhance the room’s decor
- The inner polypropylene layer is not only durable but also easy to clean
- You also don’t have to worry about odor; this litter box packs a filtered vented system that controls dust and odor from leaking out
- If you have multiple cats you don’t have to buy extra litter boxes for each; the Good Pet Hidden Litter Box is designed to accommodate multiple cats as well as large cats
- The litter box can also be easily converted to a bed for your cat by merely lining it with bedding
Proc of Good Pet Hidden Litter Box
- The litter box fits naturally into any room without looking out of place thanks to the ingenious design
- You can convert it to a pet bed by simply lining it with beddings
- Supports multiple cats and can also accommodate large cats
Conc of Good Pet Hidden Litter Box
- Due to its somewhat bulky size, the product can only be shipped on land delivery service. Thus it might take some time before it arrives
Why We Recommend It
Having a litter box that not only serves its purpose but also perfectly fits with your room’s atmosphere will go a long way into ensuring that your home stays clean. The ability to support multiple cats makes this litter box a winner in multi-cat households.
And that is it! Those are the best cat litter boxes on the market at the moment. Now that you have chosen the best litter box for your cat, let’s discuss how you should clean it.
How to Keep a Cat Litter Box Clean
Cat litter boxes call for daily cleaning to remove clumps. You also need to clean them thoroughly on a regular basis. When deep cleaning, avoid using any strongly scented detergents and bleaching agents.
Unsavory smells inside the litter box will send the cat away and thus will compel them to find another location to go potty. To properly clean the box, you will need hot water, soap, rubber gloves, sponges, and some vinegar.
- Wear your rubber gloves and pour any soiled litter into a trash bag. Dispose of it properly.
- Add mild soap to hot water and use the solution to scrub the litter box using a sponge. Ensure to clean any dried-on feces or litter to leave the inside of the box sparkling clean.
- Once you have thoroughly cleaned the litter box, rinse it well with hot, clean water. Rinse it thoroughly to drive away any lingering scents of soaps so that your cat will use it comfortably. If the litter box still has lingering scents, pour vinegar into the box and let it settle for 30 minutes before thoroughly rinsing the box. You can also use baking soda, as it is known to have the odor-absorbing ability.
- Dry the litter box by either wiping it out with paper towels or a dry rag. Another option is to let it air dry. Refill the litter box with fresh kitty litter and place it in its usual spot.
Choosing the best cat litter box can be an overwhelming process. In addition to finding the right option for your feline friend, it must keep the smell and messes at bay, and be easy to use and clean. Considering your needs and space will make the process easier, and will result in a cleaner and comfortable environment for your kitty.
There are many great litter box options available in the market today. Modern models have taken the concept of a standard litter pan and incorporated a structure that disguises your cat’s bathroom. Other models have an easier cleaning procedure than others thereby making the cleanup process mess-free for you. It is up to you to select the best model for your needs.
We hope that our buyer’s guide and review has helped you buy the best litter box for your cat!
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Healthiest and Best Dry Cat Foods Reviews with Guide
- 10 Best Wet Cat Food Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Automatic Cat Feeders Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Water Fountains Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Toys Review and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Tree Reviews and Comprehensive Guide
- 5 Best Cat Flea Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)