5 Best Cat Flea Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide 2018
A cat infested by fleas suffers a lot. Fleas are unpleasant and itchy, and may also cause parasitic diseases to your cat. To prevent them from infesting your cat, you need to treat your house and your pets as well. After that, you need to put on the best flea collar on your cat to prevent re-infestation.
If fleas have not invaded your cat, a flea collar will help prevent the infestation before it begins. With the invention of topical treatment, flea collars have fallen a little bit from the spotlight, but they still remain one of the best and easy to use way of preventing flea infestation.
If you are in the market for a cat flea collar, then you have come to the right place as we have compiled the best, and highest-quality flea collars. We spent close to 45 hours analyzing the different flea collar brands on the market to know the most reliable ones. We based all our collars on factors such as quality of ingredients, customer reviews, Amazon ratings, pet expert recommendations, and other considerations we will discuss in this guide. Also, We narrowed down our search to five top-rated cat flea collars on the market today.
But before we review the top 5 best cat flea collars 2018, let’s walk you through a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right flea collar for your cat.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Why should you use a cat flea collar?
Should I use a flea collar on my cat instead of using other methods of controlling fleas? This is a common question among pet owners. It crops up whenever they want to shop for a new flea collar. To convince you why a flea collar is an important product for your feline friend, here are 3 benefits of using cat flea collar;
It is easier to use
Compared to most methods of controlling fleas, using a collar is the easiest of all. It is to put on around your cat’s neck. In addition to this, it should not be a problem for your cat if they are used to wearing such collars.
To prevent flea infestation using topical application, you will need to apply it generously all over your cat’s body and try to get it to the skin. Some of the topical solutions may go to the fur, thereby reducing the effectiveness of these methods.
They are relatively affordable
If you are comparing the cost of using monthly topical applications and investing in a flea collar, you will see that a flea collar is cheaper. The best topical treatment for cats can cost you up to $10 per application. Conversely, the best cat flea collars on our list range from $20-$60. The best thing is that they will provide protection for up to 8 months. Simple math shows you will be saving a lot.
They last longer
Cat flea collar provides longer protection as compared to topical applications. If you find the best cat flea collar, it can last for up to 8 months. This is very helpful especially during warmer months when fleas are common.
They can be used alongside other flea treatment methods
You can use flea collars in conjunction with other topical applications to help enhance protection against flea. However, several topical flea treatments will not work with flea collars. It is imperative to talk to your vet to know if the two will work.
Factors to Consider When Buying Cat Flea Collars
For first-time shoppers, choosing the best flea collar for their feline friend can be a daunting task. With so many flea collars on the market, and each claiming to be the best, it can be hard to find the right one. To make it easier for you, pay attention to the following factors;
A reputable company should provide the list of active ingredients in a flea collar in the product label. It is important to check the active ingredients in a product to know how safe and effective it is. Some of the common ingredients in a flea collar include Pyriproxyfen, Amitraz, Propoxur, and Deltamethrin. Make sure to go for collars that have all-natural ingredients sourced from essential oils.
Try to avoid collars with Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP). Although it is an effective insecticide, this ingredient is believed to be harmful to both humans and pets. There are claims that it can be carcinogenic.
One of the first things that come to mind when it comes to alternative methods to topical applications for cats is how safe these methods are. Fleas can be killed with chemicals, and everyone knows this.
However, just like humans, pets too should be protected from the excessive use of pesticides. That’s why you should go for collars that have non-toxic ingredients. Very strong insecticides on collars may trigger allergies and reactions in your cat.
Ensure that the active ingredients in your preferred cat collar are sourced from natural oils, and not pesticides.
Type of protection
Some types of flea collars only deter fleas, while others kill them. Some repel and kill other pests such as lice, ticks, and mosquitoes in addition to fleas. Both options are great as they prevent your domestic pet from getting infested by pests.
Don’t make a mistake of using a flea collar designed for dogs on cats. While dog and cat flea collars may share some active ingredients, there are ingredients in dog flea collars that can be toxic to felines.
Therefore, make sure you read the collar description to know that the label reads that it is safe for cats.
Size of the collar
It is important to go for cat collars that can fit well on the neck. Many flea collars for cats feature a fully-adjustable clasp to help you customize your fit as per your cat’s neck. Ensure that the collar is not overly loose as your cat can chew it.
Most flea collars for cats on the market today are water resistant- note that they are not waterproof. This means they will still work if your cat is rained on, but you should remove them when bathing and grooming your cat. Very few options feature waterproof designs.
Flea collars should be different from ordinary pet collars regarding making. Most are made of nylon, polyester, and also leather. Don’t buy collars that are poorly formulated as they are very fragile and can easily get damaged. That said, you will need to check reviews of customers who have bought the product to see if there are complaints about the construction and quality of the collar. Fortunately, all the collars we have reviewed in our guide have great customer reviews.
The best cat flea collar should be easy to adjust. There are manufacturers with one-size-fits-all models, and there those selling models with multiple sizes. Most pet owners prefer models that are adjustable because not all cats are the same. Therefore, always read the product description to know if the collar is adjustable or not.
Make sure to leave enough room between the collar and the neck when fitting it on your cat. This way, your cat will be comfortable and well protected at the same time.
Most collars have a breakaway clasp that allows your cat to detangle itself if the collar gets caught on something. This is a good safety feature to check.
Top 5 Best Flea Collars 2018
Now that you are aware of the things you need to check in a cat flea collar before investing your money in it let’s review the best cat flea collars in the market at the moment.
Features That Make Seresto Flea and Tick Cat Collar Stand Out
- This is by far the best cat flea collar, and many pet owners and expert can attest to this. In fact, it has thousands of positive reviews from happy customers
- One great feature that makes Seresto Flea and Tick Collar stand out is that it is easy to use. You don’t need to learn how to use it
- This flea collar remains effective for a long period. It can protect your cat from ticks and fleas for up to 8 months
- Another great feature is that it has reflector chips that produce light at night. This makes it easy for you to see your cat at night. Also, in case your cat sneaks out of the compound, vehicles will be able to see it at night
- This flea and tick collar contains Seresto. Seresto has two active ingredients: flumethrin which kills and repels ticks, nymphs, and larvae- and imidacloprid, which kills flea larvae, lice, and adult fleas
- It doesn’t have a chemical smell. This collar does not emit any unpleasant smell and thus ideal for cats that are sensitive to smells
- It is non-greasy. Therefore, it doesn’t leave greasy residues on your cat’s fur
Proc of Seresto Flea and Tick Cat Collar
- It’s very easy to put on your cat neck
- Slow release of mild chemicals allows this collar to last up to 8 months
- It is not oily or greasy
- It is very effective
- It is safe for any kitten older than 10 weeks as well as adult cats
- Includes safe reflectors for easier visibility at night
Conc of Seresto Flea and Tick Cat Collar
- It is not waterproof
- It is a bit pricey compared to other collars in its category
Why We Recommend It
The Seresto Flea collar for cats is undoubtedly the best cat flea collar on the market. It contains two powerful insecticides which induce paralysis in their target pests thereby causing death. It can last for up to 8 months thanks to its unique formulation, which allows it to slowly and consistently release lower doses of its active ingredients.
This collar also works well with other topical application. Its design makes it very easy to use and doesn’t emit a strong chemical smell thus ideal for all cats, including those with allergies.
Although it may cause some allergies in some susceptible cats, this cat flea collar will work well for most cats.
Features That Make TORRIX Cats Flea and Tick Collar Stand Out
- This cat flea and tick collar from TORRIX is another great collar that utilizes natural ingredients. All its active ingredients are sourced from essential oils of eucalyptus, lemon, and lavender to repel tick and flea
- It is suitable for kittens from 10 weeks old and adult cats. It repels and kills ticks, which helps protect your cat from diseases caused by tick infestation
- This collar from TORRIX offers protection against ticks and fleas for up to 8 months
- It is adjustable and thus can fit virtually all sizes of cats. With a minimum circumference of 7 inches and a maximum of 13 inches, this collar can fit in almost any cat
- It is non-toxic, water-resistant, and safe for humans
Proc of TORRIX Cats Flea and Tick Collar
- Offers 8-month protection and thus economical than buying shampoo or visiting your vet for flea treatment
- Comes in multiple sizes and is highly adjustable
- It is easy to use
- This collar is water-resistant
- TORRIX offers a lifetime guarantee on this collar
Conc of TORRIX Cats Flea and Tick Collar
- Some customers complained that it has a strong smell, which may cause allergies to some cats. However, you can leave the collar exposed for a few hours after unpacking it for the initial strong smell to disappear
Why We Recommend It
Controlling flea and tick for cats is not an easy task, but this flea control collar can make it easier for you. It is effective and will offer protection against flea and ticks for up to 8 months. This collar is designed to fit into different sizes of cats.
Even for people with kittens that are more than 10 weeks old, this flea collar will fit on them well as you only need to adjust for fit leaving enough room (2 fingers) for comfort.
Also, this flea and tick collar is waterproof and thus will remain effective even under wet conditions. However, continual exposure to water will lower its effectiveness.
Features That Make REGIROCK Flea Tick Collar for Cats Stand Out
- This is another great flea tick collar for cats. It is easy to use as all you need is to put it around your cat’s neck and adjust it to fit. After 30 minutes, this flea collar will start to be effective. It can ward off pests including ticks and fleas from your cat
- It is waterproof, and thus will still work even if your cat is out in the rain
- It is highly adjustable, and thus you can use it for large cats and kittens
- It remains effective for a long time as it can protect your cat from ticks and flea infestation for up to 8 months
- Comes with a complete guarantee. If you experience any problem with this collar, you can reach REGIROCK service center, and they will gladly assist you
Proc of REGIROCK Flea Tick Collar for Cats
- It is easy to use
- Adjustable size enables it to fit in almost all cats
- Comes with a perfect guarantee
Conc of REGIROCK Flea Tick Collar for Cats
- It is quite pricey as compared to other flea collars in its category
Why We Recommend It
This is undoubtedly one of the best cat flea collars. Offering 8-month protection against flea larvae, adult fleas, and also ticks, you can be assured your cat is safe from diseases caused by these pests.
This collar is waterproof and fully adjustable as well. Its natural formulation enables it to be used even on cats that have sensitive skin. This collar is well-accepted by many pet owners and has been rated highly.
Features That Make MATENIX Flea and Tick Collar for Cat Stand Out
- This cat flea and tick collar from MATENIX uses active ingredients sourced from natural essential oils to repel fleas. This makes it a great option for pet owners who don’t prefer using pesticides
- It is highly effective. After a few days of wear, there will be no fleas present on your cat
- This flea collar is designed to fit cats of all sizes. Simply put it on your cat’s neck and leave 2-3 inches allowance for comfort
- It offers protection against ticks, lice, and fleas for up to 8 months
- This collar is waterproof and thus will not lose its repellent effect even after it has been rained on
- It comes with a 60-day money back guarantee. MATENIX is confident that this product will be effective
Proc of MATENIX Flea and Tick Collar for Cat
- It is suitable for cats of all sizes thanks to its adjustability
- Eco-friendly thanks to its natural ingredients sourced from natural essential oils
- It is highly effective in repelling ticks and fleas
- This collar offers protection up to 8 months against harmful tick and flea
- Comes with a full money return guarantee
Conc of MATENIX Flea and Tick Collar for Cat
- Has not listed all the ingredients
Why We Recommend It
This is one of the most effective fleas and tick collars for cats. It will help your cat reduce scratching because of infections and open wounds caused by ticks. This pest repellant collar not only provides protection for your cat but also repel ticks and fleas in the surrounding environment.
It offers protection for up to 8 months. Besides, its waterproof design makes it more durable.
Features That Make Organic Way Flea Collar Stand Out
- This flea and tick collar for collar uses natural ingredients sourced from herbal extracts and natural oils. This means it doesn’t contain toxic chemicals and is safe for pets and humans
- It is simple to use and is highly effective in repelling pests. It remains effective for up to 6 months
- It has adjustable design and thus will work for cats of any size and kitten from 5 weeks
- It repels other pests such as ticks, flea larvae, sarcoptic mange, chewing lice, and many others thereby offering full protection to your cat
- It is made in Germany and has a high-quality build. If you feel that this collar doesn’t suit your cat, you can request a refund or free replacement from Organic Way
Proc of Organic Way Flea Collar
- It is based on herbal extracts and natural essential oils
- Suitable for cats and kittens alike
- Offers 6 months of tick and flea control
- It is non-greasy
- Easy to apply
- Safe for both humans and pets
Conc of Organic Way Flea Collar
- Some cats may be affected by some ingredients used in this collar
- You should wash your hands thoroughly anytime you handle it
Why We Recommend It
If you are looking for a perfect pest control solution that suits your cat care needs, then Organic Way Flea Collar is the best solution for you. This tick and flea collar is highly effective and is uniquely made for cats. Besides, it is easy to use, and its adjustable design means it can be used on cats of different sizes, including kittens that are more than 5 weeks old.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cat Flea Collars
How does cat flea collar work?
Most flea collars work by absorption. The insecticide in the collar is mildly distributed across the neck area and are then absorbed by the skin. This repels and kills fleas that touch your cat fur and body.
Do cat flea collars really work?
These collars are very effective at repelling and killing fleas. They are best used for preventive measure. If your cat is already infested by fleas, it might be best to first opt for topical application before putting the flea collar on to prevent re-infestation.
How do I get rid of fleas on my cat?
If your cat is already infested by fleas, it might be best to give her a thorough bath using a flea shampoo to kill fleas on his body. After he has dried, comb her fur with a fine comb, to ensure all the fleas are gone. After that, put the flea collar back to prevent re-infestation. Also, spray your house with a tick and flea spray to kill the stray fleas.
There you have them; the best flea collar for the cat on the market. We hope you will find the right collar for your cat.
Before signing off, it is worth noting that fleas become resistant to certain treatments. Therefore, you may have to switch flea collars occasionally to prevent this from happening.
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Healthiest and Best Dry Cat Foods Reviews with Guide
- 10 Best Wet Cat Food Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Automatic Cat Feeders Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Water Fountains Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Toys Review and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Litter Box Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 10 Best Cat Tree Reviews and Comprehensive Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)