10 Best Wet Cat Foods Reviews and Buyer’s Guide 2018
If you love your cat as much as she loves you or even half as much, then you will do all your best to find the healthiest food for her. It is important that you buy food that your furry friend will love to eat every day.
Cat foods come in varied forms. There are wet foods and dry foods. The type of food you buy for your cat depends on your pet’s diet. For most cat owners, they prefer wet food because of the following reasons;
Best wet cat foods are more nutritious and have a better balance of ingredients. This means that the premium wet cat foods are better balanced as compared to dry cat foods. Most dry foods have a higher concentration of carbohydrates and thus may be less suitable for adult cats. However, not all have high levels of carbohydrates.
Wet cat foods help keep your cat hydrated. When comparing wet food to dry food, wet foods have a higher moisture content to ensure your cat stay hydrated. When your cat is solely feeding on dry food, he will have to drink more water to stay hydrated. Most of the times, this doesn’t happen, and he may not drink enough for their bodies. This gives wet food an edge over dry food since your pet will remain hydrated and healthy all the time.
However, since no one product can be best for every cat, you need to know how to choose the best wat food for your cat. That’s why we have prepared a comprehensive guide for you before reviewing the top 10 best wet cat food on the market.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Best Wet Cat Food
Best wet cat foods are well-balanced and thus ideal for your feline’s nutrition. If not feed properly, domesticated cats can be prone to infections. That’s why you need to find nutritious foods to feed your cat.
And talking about infections, here are two most serious health problems domesticated or indoor cats will face if they fail to eat a nutritious diet;
Indoor cats tend to lead a less-active life compared to those in the outdoor environment. Since they don’t go hunting for food, they don’t move a lot. And this sedentary life causes many cats to become overweight. There are many health complications that are associated with obesity including diabetes, liver diseases, etc.
Wet food that is specially manufactured for cats contains fewer calories and fat than typical wild meat that outdoor cats eat. Plus, they have a nutrient called L-Carnitine to help turn fatty acids into energy so as to maintain a healthy weight in indoor cats. These foods have enough energy for cats to be active all day but also limit the accumulation of fats in their bodies.
Cats have a habit of grooming themselves, and as they do it, there is a small amount of hair they swallow every time. These hairs can accumulate in a cat’s stomach to form hairballs. As these hairballs continue getting bigger, they can cause intestinal blockage.
For outdoor cats, they eat grass which supplies them with fiber. This helps them pass hairballs out successfully. However, since there is no grass inside your house, you need to feed your cat with fiber-rich wet diet. The fiber in this food not only prevent accumulation of hairballs in the intestines but also improve your cat’s digestive systems.
So, now that you know why you should feed your domestic cat nutritious foods, how do you buy the best wet cat foods for her? Here are the things to keep in mind.
Factors to Consider When Buying Wet Cat Food
Cats of different ages need different nutrients as they have varying nutritional needs. For instance, little kittens need wet foods that have small and soft pellets enough for them to chew and digest easily. They also need foods with a significant amount of protein and other essential nutrients such as minerals and vitamins.
Foods meant for kittens is quite different from that of adult cats. Senior cats’ food has a low amount of carbohydrate since they don’t need a lot of energy. It also has a lot of minerals to help make their bones stronger and joints better. In general, you need to consider age when choosing the best cat food for your feline friend.
Not all cats are born equal and healthy. Different cats have varying health needs. Some have sensitive stomachs that are affected by certain ingredients. Others have a weak immune system, thus necessitating foods with certain vitamins and minerals. Other cats are allergic to certain ingredients.
As a cat owner, you should know the health profile of your cat so as to buy him food that will cater to those needs. As you know, your cat health is dependent on the food he eats. Therefore, go for wet foods that are very nutritious if you know your cat has health issues.
Preservatives and Flavors
You should buy foods that have artificial preservatives and flavors. Artificial preservatives pose a health threat to your cat in the long-run. Only buy wet foods that have natural preservatives and flavors in them.
Some of the natural preservatives used in wet foods include Vitamin E and C. These preservatives pose no threat to your cat’s health.
When buying best cat wet food, try to buy those that are packed in smaller cans rather than one big container. This is because foods in small cans will get eaten faster and thus you will be feeding your cat fresh food most of the times.
Ingredients in Food
Wet food should contain one or more types of natural, high-quality protein as one of the main ingredients. This is because your cat is carnivorous and thus need meat for optimal growth. Avoid cat foods with artificial flavors, fats, and other fillers. Your cat deserves the best, and that’s why you should buy food that is well-balanced and has all the needed nutrients.
Some of the ingredients to avoid include;
These are the remains from slaughtered animals. They include kidney, lungs, fats, bones, etc. The problem with meat by-products is that they have very little nutrition value. Cat food manufacturers often use them as a cheap source of protein, but in reality, their quality is not good.
BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin
These are artificial preservatives that are used to make wet cat food last longer. They are linked to certain types of cancer. That’s why we advise you to go for cat foods that have used natural or no preservatives.
Corn as a filler
If you do not want your feline friend to be overweight, you should avoid foods with an excessive amount of this ingredient. It supplies your cat with an excessive amount of carbohydrate.
Having talked about that, here is how you can choose the best wet foods for cats.
Two Tips to Help You Choose the Right Wet Food for Your Cat
These two tips will help you choose the best cat wet food easily;
Consider your budget and look for the best food in your budget range
If you can afford to go for pricey cat food, you should know that being expensive doesn’t necessarily mean quality. A cat food might be pricey but unbalanced.
We always advise buyers to purchase a little amount of cat food at first, to make sure their cat likes the food and it is suitable for their nutrition needs. Once they verify the food is suitable for their cat, they can buy in bulk.
Always do your research to know the best cat food within your budget range. However, avoid foods that are overly cheap.
Read The Labels
Reading the labels of wet foods will give you a better idea of its quality. You will know the list of ingredients in the food and whether or not protein is listed as the first ingredient. The first ingredient should be a salmon meal, chicken, lamb, or any other high-quality, natural protein.
Now, you are more enlightened and in a better position to buy the best cat wet food for your cat. Here are the top 10 best cat wet foods 2018 that made the cut;
Features That Make Purina Fancy Feast Seafood Variety Pack Stand Out
- This seafood collection is available in large cans of feast collection cat food
- You can be sure that even the finickiest cat will love the tender cuts of seafood and fish
- This best-selling cat food offers the finest ingredients to ensure that your cat gets proper nutrition – there is a balance of high-quality ingredients and a delicious taste
- One of the best-highlighted features of this best cat food is the delicate gravies that add to the flavor
- The seafood comes with a tempting texture that’s easily edible and tender enough for cats with sensitive digestive system
- This best cat food comes in different flavors so that your kitty gets their favorite
- Make your cat develop a strong body immunity and strength by giving them this Purina cat food
The wet cat food comes a bit pricier than some brands but a can a day will do a remarkable job for your indoor cat
Proc of Purina Fancy Feast Seafood Variety Pack
- Has tender cuts of seafood
- Includes gravies for added flavors
- Soft and easily digestible hence safe for your cat
- Has added minerals and vitamins to enhance the health of your cat
Conc of Purina Fancy Feast Seafood Variety Pack
- Too much seafood can be allergic to some cats
Why We Recommend It
Help your cat develop a strong body with silky fur by giving it this Purina cat food. This food is made for cats with stomach sensitivities featuring added minerals and vitamins. You find different flavors for this cat food so that you can choose the right flavor for your cat.
Features That Make Meow Mix Tender Favorites Stand Out
- Ensure that your cat eats delicious and nutritious food without spending a fortune
- This is the one of the best affordable cat food in the market yet one that your cat will easily like
- This delicious meal come in many flavors such as real chicken and before in sauce, or you can go for real turkey and giblets in a sauce
- This best cat food features a combination of beef and poultry to make it nutritious and delicious
- The food comes in an easy-peel open pack cups to retain the natural flavors and freshness per serving
- This cat food offers everything a cat requires for healthy living and is ideal for cats of all ages
- You can serve it alone, or you may as well mix with dry food
- Even the fussiest cats will love the Meow Mix Meals made with wholesome ingredients offering balanced nutrition and delicious taste
Proc of Meow Mix Tender Favorites
- It’s budget-friendly
- Available in various flavors for the picky eaters
- Cans are extremely easy to open and allow for easy storage after opening
Conc of Meow Mix Tender Favorites
- The food contains artificial preservatives which may cause stomach upsets to some cats
Why We Recommend It
Your cat of any age will not get enough of this affordable cat food. This is a fantastic cat food that contains wholesome ingredients to ensure proper nutrition for your cat. It food comes in easy to open cups that are also easy to store. Better yet, you can get poultry free options if your furry friend has an allergy to poultry.
Features That Make Royal Canin Thin Gravy Canned Cat Food Stand Out
- Try this Royal Canin diet that features specific nutrients to nourish your cat’s fur and coat
- This amazing wet food offers an optimal balance between fats, proteins, and carbohydrates to ensure long-term palatability
- The thin slices in gravy help in coat beauty with the best thing being that most cats love the food
- This is the best-wet cat food for adult cats as it offers moderate energy level to prevent obesity
- The formula boasts plenty of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, biotin, B vitamins, and zinc that aids in enhancing the coat
- Royal Canin Intense beauty comes with a proven Macro Nutrient Profile that most adult cats prefer
- A Macro Nutrient Profile aids in long-term palatability as well as dietary satisfaction
- Not only this, the product comes with 100% complete diet and works as the perfect nutritional complement
Proc of Royal Canin Thin Gravy Canned Cat Food
- Maintains a healthy coat and skin
- Helps promote healthy weight
- Most adult cats love the formula
Conc of Royal Canin Thin Gravy Canned Cat Food
- It’s pricier than similar formula, but you get the value for money
Why We Recommend It
Intense Beauty is a worthy choice for your cat especially if you need to improve their coat and skin. The meal is packed with fatty acids, B vitamins, zinc, and Biotin. The wet food is instinctively preferred by adult cats by utilizing Macro Nutrient Profile Science.
Features That Make Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Cat Food Stand Out
- This cat food is designed with the ideal ingredients to support the urinary tract system such as magnesium
- The formula is recommended for adult cats between 1 – 6 years old and shouldn’t be offered to kittens or pregnant cats
- This formula comes with natural fibers making it a good choice for cats dealing with hairballs
- What’s more, the meal has scientifically tested antioxidants which assist in enhancing the cat’s immune system
- It contains artificial flavors, colors or preservatives making it suitable for cats with allergies
- The main ingredient is chicken for cats that love the taste of chicken
Proc of Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Cat Food
- Has natural fibers to combat hairballs
- The formula comes with clinically proven antioxidants to enhance the immune system
- Has no added artificial colors or flavors
- Even the most finicky cats love this cat food
Conc of Hill’s Science Diet Urinary Cat Food
- Can be more expensive than other cat food brands
Why We Recommend It
This Hill’s Science Diet is cat food that has been formulated to assist in dealing with all urinary system issues. The meal is recommended for older cats between 1 – 6 years and has scientifically proven antioxidants that help enhance your cat’s immune system.
Features That Make Wellness Complete Grain-free canned Food Stand Out
- Let your kitten grow strong from nose to tail with this protein-rich diet of the Wellness Complete Grain Free Wet Food
- The chicken is the number one ingredient to ensure sufficient supply of high-quality protein for strong muscle growth
- Every bite comes packed with enough nutrients such as the Omegas from flaxseed to support the coat
- The formula will enhance your kitten’s brain health thanks the fish oil used to make the formula
- One of the best ingredients used in this best-wet cat food is antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to enhance the immune system
- This is a 100% grain free kitten recipe which makes it a suitable choice for cats with allergies
- The meal helps to keep your kitty hydrated and keeps the urinary tract with healthy moisture
- Wellness Health Complete is a US-based company and uses high-quality ingredients to support your cat’s overall health
- Better yet, the wet cat food does not contain any artificial colors, preservatives or flavors making it one of the best cat food for cats with allergies
Proc of Wellness Complete Grain-free canned Food
- The recipe is grain free
- Rich in omegas and antioxidants
- Has chicken as a source of quality proteins
Conc of Wellness Complete Grain-free canned Food
- Some cats became a little more finicky due to a recent change in this formula
Why We Recommend It
This is a nutrient rich recipe with nutrients such as omegas, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and taurine. The primary source of protein is the kitchen which is not only delicious but also high quality. You will appreciate this blend since the ingredients used are excellent.
Features That Make Hill’s ideal Balance Wet Cat Food Stand Out
- Your adult cat requires a delicious meal with lean protein to manage his weight
- It’s for that reason that Hill’s ideal balance natural cat food came to offer the perfect solution
- This best cat food offers chicken as the primary ingredient with lean protein to keep your cat looking youthful
- Brown rice is the other ingredient which offers natural fiber supports a smooth digestion
- One of the most impressive ingredient in this food for cats is egg which acts as a source of amino acids that keep your cat’s fur looking silky
- Another source of amino fatty acids in this food is flaxseed
- This formula is highly nutritious with over 50 known nutrients making it one of the healthiest cat food
- Other ingredients include vegetables and fruits which add a dose of antioxidants to boost the immune system
- As for non-ingredients, this is a grain free recipe without soy, wheat or corn making it safe for cats with allergies
- The adult stew is made in the USA with ingredients you can trust
- There are three life stages offered for this formula for both adult cats and kittens
Proc of Hill’s ideal Balance Wet Cat Food
- Chicken comes as the number one ingredient to provide proteins
- Brown rice offers natural fiber for healthy digestion
- Has over 50 known nutrients in every bite
Conc of Hill’s ideal Balance Wet Cat Food
- Picky eaters may not like this food
Why We Recommend It
Hill’s Ideal Balance chicken stew cat food is made with all natural ingredients, vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants in a flavorful sauce that your cat will love. The canned cat food comes with lean proteins to keep your cat slim and trim. The company has attached a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Features That Make Sheba Perfect Portions Stand Out
- Here’s meat-first Sheba recipe that your cat desires featuring perfect portions of fresh ingredients for every meal
- This multipack comes with 2 different pate style entrees each containing either real salmon or tuna as the primary source of protein
- This meal ensures that your cat gets the value as it doesn’t feature any grains, corn, gluten, wheat or soy hence a great choice if your cat has allergies
- It offers perfect portions of ingredients which help in weight management
- This is a complete and balanced wet cat food with added vitamins and minerals to support your feline friend’s well being
- Each recyclable plastic tray comes with 2 fresh meals which are simple to break apart, peel and serve
- Each meal is perfectly sized so that your cat does not leave leftovers of this delicious meal
- There are no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives used
Proc of Sheba Perfect Portions
- Comes with tuna, whitefish and salmon entrée
- Has perfectly-sized ready to serve food portions
- No artificial fillers used
Conc of Sheba Perfect Portions
- Some cats may find the cans smaller
Why We Recommend It
This cat food comes with high-quality protein from Tuna or Salmon for healthy growth. What’s more, this food is ideal for cats with allergies as it is grain free and comes with no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors. Finally, it comes with perfectly sized meals so that you don’t have to refrigerate the leftovers.
Features That Make Purina Pro Plan Focus Chicken Entrée Stand Out
- Need the best-wet cat food for urinary tract health? Try this formula from Purina that’s specifically designed to reduce the cat’s urinary PH as well as offering low dietary magnesium
- This is a delicious meal covered in gravy entrée made with real chicken that offers an exceptional taste that most cats love
- Chicken is a high-quality protein that will help promote ideal nutrition for lean muscle growth and provide the energy needed to thrive
- This adult wet cat food is fortified with essential vitamins and minerals which ensures a complete and balanced diet
- This wet food can be eaten alone or can be used to complement dry kibble
- The cat food is securely packaged yet very easy to open, and the instructions for feeding are easy to understand
- The food is packed with omega fatty acids to aid in supporting the skin and coat for a silky fur appearance
- Purina is one of the best wet cat food brands for using high-quality ingredients that meet all safety protocols
Proc of Purina Pro Plan Focus Chicken Entrée
- Has a high nutritional value
- Food is easy to digest
- Has an excellent smell and taste
Conc of Purina Pro Plan Focus Chicken Entrée
- This wet cat food is a bit pricey, but you’ll get good value for your money
Why We Recommend It
This is delicious food for adult cats made from real chicken. Its primary objective is to ensure that your cat has a properly functioning urinary system. It comes with all the necessary ingredients needed for your cat’s growth.
Features That Make Meow Mix Simple Servings Stand Out
- Simplify your life by satisfying your cat with this Meow Mix with Real Tuna and Ocean Whitefish
- The food is packaged in mess-free and convenient cups that can be served without utensils
- This is a delicious wet food made with real veggies that ensure enough supply of antioxidants for a stable immune system
- This food is 100% complete and balanced and is good for both kittens and cats offering all the required nutrients
- This food is perfect as a complete meal or can be used to entice the cat as a topper over dry kibble
- This food doesn’t lose flavor during its transportation or storage as it comes in sealed cups so that the food remains fresh
Proc of Meow Mix Simple Servings
- It is all natural and has all nutrients that cats require
- Cups come sealed to ensure freshness
- Has real vegetables
Conc of Meow Mix Simple Servings
- Some cats have been reported to develop an allergy after consuming this wet cat food
Why We Recommend It
This is an all-natural wet cat food that’s formulated to meet the needs of your kitten or adult cat. It comes in sealed cups that can be used to serve the cat without using other utensils. Better yet, it has real veggies that add vitamins and antioxidants required for a strong immune system.
Features That Make Blue Basics Limited Ingredients Wet Cat Food Stand Out
- Does your pet show kind of allergy symptoms such as bad coat, scratching on a specific part of body? You can seek your vet’s advice on which ingredient diet can help stop developing allergy
- Blue Basics limited ingredient is one such formula containing wholesome ingredients with no grains
- The manufacturer uses duck, fish and turkey as the primary sources of protein and this eliminates the risk of allergies and vulnerability to infections
- The company believes that potato and green peas offer digestible carbohydrates and do not cause gastric-related problems
- Moreover, this formula comes with plenty of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids which helps enhance the fur and coat
- The most outstanding feature of this best wet cat formula is that it comes with white fish as the main protein source
- This meal comes in 4 flavors so that you can choose your cat’s favorite
Proc of Blue Basics Limited Ingredients Wet Cat Food
- Does not contain any poultry or beef
- It’s grain free
- Has white fish as the first ingredient which is a unique feature
Conc of Blue Basics Limited Ingredients Wet Cat Food
- Not suitable for all cats
Why We Recommend It
Blue Basics is a reputable brand for its unique formulas that help fight allergies while offering a balanced diet. The food does not contain chicken and beef which may cause allergies for some cats. Moreover, it’s packed with numerous nutrients to ensure your cat stays happy and strong.
Before we wind up our guide to buying the best wet cat food, here are a few tips you should pay attention to if you are yet to make a purchase decision;
- Make sure the wet cat food you intend to purchase is grain-free or has as little grains as possible
- Also, ensure that it is healthy and has an organic mix of meat, vitamins, and vegetables
- It should contain real protein such as fish, turkey meat, chicken, or any other high-quality protein
- When it comes to fruits and vegetables, it should contain tomatoes, dried spinach, blueberries, or cranberries. These are known to be great for your cat’s nutrition needs
- Also, ensure that it contains any or all of these vitamins; A, B, B6, B12, C, and D3
If the food has ticked all of these boxes, then it is the right one for your cat. What is more important is not to have one ingredient, such as protein, in excess. The aim is to go for cat food that has a good balance of all the essential ingredients.
To conclude our guide, we hope that you have been able to choose the best wet food for your cat. All the products we have reviewed here do have some similarities as well as dissimilarities. However, we can assure you that all of them were listed after we did in-depth and thorough research.
Whatever product you will choose from the above list, your cat will benefit greatly from it. Happy shopping!
You May Also Interested In:
- 10 Healthiest and Best Dry Cat Foods Reviews with Guide
- 10 Best Cat Tree Reviews and Comprehensive Guide
- 10 Best Automatic Cat Feeders Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Water Fountains Reviews and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Toys Review and Guide
- 10 Best Cat Litter Box Reviews and Buyer Guide
- 5 Best Cat Flea Collars Reviews and Buyer Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)