The pest control chemical, rodenticides or also generally called rat poison, is used to kill rodents. Everyone is familiar with that rat poison is harmful to pets, including dogs.
The taste and smell of rat poison attract dogs. Many dog owners do not understand that even a little amount of rodenticides can kill dogs, especially small breeds or puppies. Unluckily, dogs often eat rat poison. That’s why dog owners need to prevent their dogs from eating rat poison. Otherwise, their pets will have to suffer.
Therefore, it is vital to identify signs of rat poison in dogs. You need to give immediate treatment if your dog ate rat poison accidentally.
What are common Signs that your Dog has Ingested Rat Poison?
When dogs ingest rat poison, they will not show signs immediately. It generally takes few days to show signs of rat poison. It is tough to know day or time when your dog ingested rat poison. Moreover, what type of rat poison your dog ate. If you have a puppy, then your pet can also suffer from rat poison by eating a mouse that was died because of poison.
However, here, we have listed common symptoms that will indicate your dog has ingested rat poison and you need to take your dog to your vet for treatment.
- Dogs reject food
- Saliva is containing blood
- External bleeding from rectum, or nose
- Internal bleeding from lung or gums
- Blood coagulation
- Blood in urine
- Drooling (Uncontrollably saliva coming from your dog mouth)
- Muscle Weakness
- Muscle Tremors
- Extensive Bruising
- Hair loss
- Difficulty in breathing
- Unable to stand
- Lung problems
- A mild Cough
These are common symptoms that will signify your dog ate rat poison. Sometimes, dogs can also suffer from mental depression by eating rat poison. Coma is also one of the signs that your dog has ingested rodenticides.
Therefore, carefully hear to your pet breathing and check your dog behavior if you ever feel something wrong with your dog or if you dogs start to act differently. Rat poison sigs can take many a few days, even a week to show sign. The toxin which is present in rat poisons mostly cause internal bleeding.
If you see your dog’s stool color such as blue or green, then it also signs that can’t be ignored. If you see your pet is bleeding internally or blood in urine or stool then don’t take it lightly and must go to veterinary for special treatment. Internal bleeding can put your dog life at risk if it gets untreated for a long time.
What are Types of Rat Poison and their effects on Dogs?
Rat poisons come in various types. Every dog owner needs to be aware of every kind of rat poison and what the effect of that poison on dogs is.
Here, we have listed types of rat poison and their effects on dogs:
It is most common rat poison ate by dogs. It inhibits vitamin-k production in the body that is essential for blood clotting. Thus, when dogs ingested this rat poison, can suffer from severe internal bleeding. It generally takes two to seven days to appear for symptoms. If dog ingested Anticoagulant left untreated, then he or she can die.
This rat poison affects a dog’s central nervous system, and this can cause the cell to die as it enhances sodium accumulation in cells. If your dog ingested this poison in a small amount, then he or she will show signs within 1 or 2 weeks. If it is ingested in a considerable amount, then symptoms will show in between 2 and 24 hours. The signs include coma, anxiety and ultimately, death.
This rat poison enhances the level of calcium, and it can also reach a stage where your dog will die if and only if your dog left untreated. This rat poison is very dangerous as it can lead to kidney failure. It may take 3 to 4 days for its signs to appear. It is most hated poison as it has no antidote. More importantly, it is quite expensive when it comes to its treatment.
Zinc Phosphide and Strychnine
When this type is ingested by dogs, it creates a toxic phosphine gas inside the dog’s stomach. Only pest removal or control professionals have this type of poison. Paralysis, appetite loss, nausea, diarrhea are some of its symptoms. The symptoms appear within a 12 hour. If dogs have food in their stomach, then it may appear within an hour.
How to Treat Rat Poison in Dogs?
The best treatment you can give to your dog is taking him or her to the vet because your vet will perform diagnostic tests that you can’t perform. Your vet will provide special treatment to your dog. If your dog ingested rat poison in a large amount, then he or she may need to hospitalize for treatment. It is your vet who can tell you how much your dog has ingested rat poison and what type of poison he or she ate.
Always remember that giving treatment at the right time is very essential after your dog has ingested rat poison. Don’t take symptoms of rat poison lightly or else your dog can die if he or she does not get immediate treatment.
What are Prevention Tips for Rodenticides Toxicity?
The best thing you can do is that avoid keeping rodenticides on your property if you have a pet in your home. Or if you place rat poison on your property then make sure that your dog can’t access it. However, supervision is vital. Thus, monitor your pet on a regular basis if you have placed rat poison in your home area.
Dogs are smart as they may find a way to rat poison, even if you are very careful. Be sure to call your vet immediately if your dog shows any illness symptoms.
You May Also Interested In:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)