10 Best Hamster Cages Reviews and Buying Guide 2019
What is the best hamster cage in the market? This is a question most people ask when they are looking for a quality hamster cage. We are here to help you find the best cage for your hamster. After doing research for over 50 hours, we found some great cages for your little, fantastic hamster.
Hamsters are among the best pets to get for your kids if you want them to learn responsibility, but they are great for adults as well. Animal lovers, especially those living in smaller homes or those who don’t have a lot of time to take care of other pets such as dogs or cats, prefer to keep hamsters.
Of course, they need care; they need food, exercises, water, attention, and cage cleaning. Speaking about cages, a hamster cage is the most essential item to have if you love your hamster. It is where your furry companion will sleep, eat, play, and poop; they ensure your hamster’s health and well-being are well-taken care of.
Therefore, you need a cage with enough space for your furry friend to exercise and live comfortably. To find the best cage for your hamster, we have reviewed top 10 best hamster cages 2019. But before then, we have prepared an exhaustive buyer’s guide with all the information you need to know about finding the right cage.
If you are in a hurry, check out our recommendation list below.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Hamster Cage
Trying to find the best cage for your little hamster? Here are some basic tips to help you select the perfect one;
The first and most important factor to consider is size. When you are buying a home for your little hamster, you have to go for one that provides as much space as possible. Although hamsters are little, that doesn’t mean they be restricted in a little space.
They need enough space to play, exercise and live happily. Experts recommend that a cage of 30X15X15 inches is ideal for hamsters. This ensures your hamster get enough ventilation and plenty of space. If you are looking for a hamster cage dwarf or Syrian hamster cage, you should look at the vertical space and floor square.
Syrian hamster needs a floor space of 150 square inches and height of 17.5. A dwarf hamster needs a floor size of 120 square inches and a vertical space of 15 inches.
The material of Hamster Cage
This is an essential consideration because mischievous hamsters chew whatever they get their mouth on. If you go for a plastic-based material cage, some will chew them and escape. The best way is to have one with metal and plastic build. On the other hand, you can provide extra chewing stuff so that they don’t get time to chew the housing. Besides, ensure they have enough playing space and playing toys. Metal-based cages may be quite pricey but they last longer compared to their plastic counterparts.
You also need to consider the spaces between the wires of your cage as large gaps make them feel insecure and easy to escape. Obviously, you don’t want any of these two scenarios to happen. Therefore, make sure the cage you are buying has a bar space of ½ inches. This not only makes them feel secure but ensure enough ventilation.
Therefore, pick the right cage with sizeable bar space not exceeding ½ inches. Hamster cage dwarf should have bar space of 1/3 inches.
When selecting best hamster cages, watch out for the type of ventilation system present and how it is worked out on the cage. The best hamster cage needs to have enough space and ventilation so that your hamster can breathe without difficulties.
Remember to set the cage in an area that is not too hot or too cold. Also, it should be in an area that is air-conditioned or by the window side. It should be in an area with normal room temperature.
Ease of Cleaning
It is true that you have to keep your cage clean by having a regular cleaning routine. Failure to clean the entire cage will make it stink due to hamster discharge. Therefore, ensure you go for a cage that is easy to clean and maintain. A hamster cage with a tube, storage, tunnels, and ladders is the best cage, but it accumulates dirt in all these areas. If you have to go for a hamster cage with these features, go for a larger one so that you can have enough space to clean all these parts.
Also, if you can find one with detachable parts, that’s a plus as you can clean each one by one. However, don’t be afraid of going for a cage with many parts because you are afraid of cleaning. The more the parts, the better it will be for your hamster.
This differs from person to person. Some people prefer metal-wire based cages while others prefer glass hamster cage models for their furry friend. On the contrary, most kids will prefer any cage with vivid colors and one with many toys, ladders, and tunnels to play.
Ensure you weigh the pros and cons of each design to ensure you are getting a cage worth the money.
If your hamster escapes from their cage, it can be tough to find it since they are mischievous and very active. Besides, they ruin furniture with their sharp teeth as they like chewing anything that comes their way.
Therefore it is vital to get a cage that has clipping doors or topper doors that do not open easily with push or sidekicks. Fortunately, all the cages we have reviewed here have secure doors that your hamster cannot open.
Type of Cage
There are many types of hamsters cages. It can be confusing for a beginner to know the best type for their hamsters. Some of the common types of hamster cages include;
These are the most popular cages, and most hamster owners love the way they are constructed. They are not only aesthetically appealing but are also safe and secure thanks to the wire construction. Besides, it offers enough ventilation by allowing air to pass through the bar spaces. You have to ensure the wire is strong enough as weak wires can be chewed by hamsters when they are trying to find an escape plan. Go for wire hamster cages constructed of heavy materials.
These are kid’s favorite because most of them come with a lot of toys and accessories. Most have a tunnel, ramp, dish, hideaway, bowl, wheel, etc. This offers your hamster a lot of accessories to play with. However, on the downside, they are hard to clean, but their aesthetic appeal surpasses this downside. One thing to keep in mind when choosing plastic-based hamster cage is to ensure you go for the one constructed from tempered plastic. Also, ensure it has enough ventilation system for air circulation.
Aquarium or Glass Hamster Cages
Some people love hamster cages glass. This is because they are transparent and this you can view what your hamster is doing from the outside. Thought they are quite heavy, most hamster lovers like them for their transparency. They have an opening on their top, and thus you can decorate it more by adding the stuff you like the most.
You may think that buying a cage is enough for your hamster, but it takes a couple of accessories to make it the best habitat for your hamster. Always look for a cage with all or most of these accessories;
Hamster moves around and gets tired just like us. Therefore, they will need somewhere to rest in. Therefore, make sure your cage comes with perfect beddings. Also, make sure that the bedding is heavy enough to absorb any smell of urine, poops, and other smelly things. Go for one with beddings that are machine washable.
This is a crucial toy that acts as an exercise tool. Hamsters love them a lot. A hamster cage with this toy is excellent for your hamster as it helps them burn fat quickly thereby enabling them to live a healthy life. Some are made of metal, and others are made of plastic or wooden material.
If your hamster cage comes with playing tubes, well and good. However, if it doesn’t come with tubes, buy some for them. Playing tubes come in many angles including round, long, triangle, etc. These tubes make them run through the cage and thus live a healthy life.
Very few cages come with this accessory but if you find one with a small food dish, the better. You can buy a few sets of food dishes to have a variety and options when one is dirty.
Your hamster will need clean and fresh water. Some cage feature a water lien system or water bottle. Ensure to provide water to your hamster and clean the water bottle regularly.
Most large hamster cage models have tunnels to give hamsters more room to play in. Tunnels make them happy as they think it is wildlife adventure. You can buy more tunnels for them with different designs and color variation.
One of the favorite plays for most hamsters is hide-and-seek. Therefore, a cage with hideaways will be ideal for your hamster as it enables them to play more. They bring happiness in their life. You can buy more hideaways for your hamster.
Best Hamster Cages 2019
Here are the top-rated hamster cages in 2019;
Features That Make Living World Deluxe Habitat Stand Out
- Here’s one of the best pet cages in the market today designed for small pets like hamsters
- You get different sizes of the cage which means that it’s suitable for your hamster and can accommodate more than one pet
- Living World Deluxe Habitat has an elegant style with white wire sides and arcing red wire top – the wire top opens easily in 2 parts to ensure easy access into the cage
- The cage comes with a balcony that features an access ramp as well as a tip-proof food dish that is firmly secured to the balcony floor
- Your hamster is going to love the hideaway space under the balcony as it offers a quiet place to hide and rest
- It is effortless to assemble the cage in few minutes thanks to the plastic clips with no tools required here
- There is also a drip-proof bottle and a hay guard, but these are located outside the cage to save space in the interior and ensure easy maintenance access
- This is the Extra-Large sized pet with a bottom made of plastic and is so deep to accommodate thick bedding
Proc of Living World Deluxe Habitat
- Sturdy and durable cage
- Offers ample space
- Multiple access doors
Conc of Living World Deluxe Habitat
- Maybe a bit difficult to clean compared to some other models
Why We Recommend It
This is hands down, one of the most popular cages among pet owners. The interior space is 45 x 24 inches. It is an ample space that can fit up to 2 hamsters. Better yet, you choose among different sizes to fit your pet.
Features That Make Midwest Guinea Habitat Stand Out
- Your pet will find this cage suitable because of the wire construction that enables easy visibility of the surroundings while securing your pet inside the cage
- It offers a large 8 square feet of space, and that can keep a pair of hamsters comfortably – the hamster cage large can be expanded to 16 feet by adding a similar unit in case you have multiple pets
- The reason you should consider the cage for your pet is it’s simple yet effective design that allows easy access
- The Midwest Guinea Habitat makes accessing your pet very easy as you open/remove the roof or open any two side doors
- The doors have been designed to flip down and double as ramps so that your beloved pet can get most of them
- It features a lightweight construction which makes it great if you need to move around with the cage hence ideal for indoor and outdoor use. Better yet, it’s easy to set it up
- The PVC liner is leak-proof, durable, washable and easy to remove which offers easy care and maintenance while keeping your pet’s feet protected
Proc of Midwest Guinea Habitat
- Has ample floor space
- Fully expandable
- Easy to access
Conc of Midwest Guinea Habitat
- Some Guinea pigs could chew the Velcro straps
Why We Recommend It
For pet owners looking for a versatile hamster habitat, this a suitable pick for you. It offers eight square feet of living space and has been approved by vets. It provides multiple access points to make it easy to access your pets. The cage offers a lightweight construction and hence a suitable hamster cage for a tour.
Features That Make Prevue Pet Products 528 Stand Out
- This a cage for small animals from prevue that contains numerous desirable features making it an example of a well-constructed modern cage
- It features multiple access points with a large access door on top and side and has a 3/8 inch wire spacing
- The cage has a simple bottom that’s easy to clean and holds in bedding
- Its dimensions measure 17.5’’ high by 32.5 “ long by 19” wide which is a big space that can accommodate up to two small hamsters
- It features durable construction that is easy to set up using 6 individual clips for guaranteed security – it has the standard wire latch as the locking mechanism
- The cage has been made in the US and meets independent pet safety standards
Proc of Prevue Pet Products 528
- Durable construction
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight and easy to set up
Conc of Prevue Pet Products 528
- Liquid waste remains on the bedding on the floor
Why We Recommend It
The cage keeps small animals such as the dwarf hamsters in mind. The cage offers a large tubby base that gives ample space for exercise and additional accessories. The tiny dwarf hamsters will enjoy the rounded corners with no pinch points. Furthermore, the cage has durable construction to keep your pet secure with a wire latch locking mechanism.
Features That Make AmazonBasics Pet Habitat Stand Out
- Here’s a high-quality animal habitat created by the popular brand AmazonBasics to cater all your hamster’s needs and offer security
- The rectangular cage boasts a durable construction to keep your pet safe for a long time
- It comes with a PP plastic base and border at the bottom to ensure that space is adequately ventilated and that you can interact with your pet at all time
- It is available in 3 different sizes including standard, large and jumbo hence you find a great suitable cage size for your hamster
- The generously sized openings make it easy when you want to check on your little pet or even when cleaning the cage
- It is easy to access your pet with the AmazonBasics Pet Habitat as it comes with large opening hatches at the top and front
- It offers a larger feeding area which is a bonus as it adds more space both on top and lower deck
- One area that the enclosure has an issue is that the ramp is made of slippery plastic that can make it difficult for some hamsters to climb
Proc of AmazonBasics Pet Habitat
- Has large doors for access
- Quick to set up the unit
- Has a hiding space under the balcony
Conc of AmazonBasics Pet Habitat
- Some pets may find the slippery plastic ramp a bit too slippery to climb
Why We Recommend It
This cage is easy to set up in minutes without any tools required. What’s more, that large cage offers ample space for your hamster to run and place to hide under the balcony. The PP plastic bottom combines with the iron wire frame form a high-quality enclosure and hence a long lasting home for your friend.
Features That Make IRIS Hamster Cage Stand Out
- Here is a beautiful home for your hamsters measuring 17.72 x 12.20 x 19.29
- It comes with numerous playing stuff that comes in a package for your playful hamster
- The enclosure includes an exercise wheel, hideaway, ramp, dish bowl and water bowl which is all you need for your hamster
- The beautiful design of this cage looks appealing to the eye as the multi-storied condo is made with clear plastic so you can keep an eye on your hamster any time
- It has 3 levels for your lovely friend to climb and explore, and the place is well-ventilated for comfort
- It is easy to access your pet through the transparent door at the top which also easy to open for you
- This low budget cage for a hamster is also lightweight weighing less than 6 pounds, and that means you can carry it anywhere you want
Proc of IRIS Hamster Cage
- Has 3 levels with ladders
- Has a quiet wheel
- Easy to clean
Conc of IRIS Hamster Cage
- The assembly process may be a bit complicated compared to other models
Why We Recommend It
If you need a great hamster cage that offers a clear view of what’s inside, the IRIS pet cage is an option to consider. It comes with 3 levels where your hamster can explore through the plastic ladder provided. Better yet, the doors on top make it easy to access your pet.
Features That Make Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation Stand Out
- This cage from Midwest comes with exciting features to ensure your little fuzzy friend stays in his very own castle
- The single-story animal cage has dimensions of 36” L x 25”W x 38.5” H which provides ample space for your hamster
- It has been constructed with a sturdy tube frame and a sturdy metal wire which makes it long lasting and great-looking
- The half inch wire pacing keeps your pet safe and secure inside the cage
- The unit comprises of hideaways, exercise wheels, toys, litter pans, and much more to give your pet enough exploration
- The included stand comes with locking wheels which offer effortless movement around your home
- You can be sure that the unit will fit into your décor as it features an attractive gray-quartz hammer tone finish
- You can get the Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation double stacked unit in case you need more housing for multiple pets
- Assembling the unit is fast and easy with no skills or tools required
Proc of Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation
- Robust build
- Easy to assemble
- Accommodates lots of accessories
Conc of Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation
- Not big enough for multiple pets
Why We Recommend It
This cage from Midwest offers many good things and has been designed to meet your hamster’s every need. Accessing your pet is easy through the large swinging double doors that feature critter-proof latches to ensure they open effortlessly with one hand.
Features That Make Ferplast Hamster Cage Stand Out
- If you need something pretty simple to get your hamster going, then here is Ferplast Hamster Cage
- The cage looks unique at a glance because it has the standard wire cage on the upper side but has a transparent plastic base which separates the play and feeding quarters from eliminating and burrowing sections
- The base is transparent to allow you to interact with the hamster no matter where they are in the cage
- It comes with an exercise wheel, a water bottle, a ramp to support climbing, a hideout for your hamster and a food bowl
- The dimensions of the product read 23.6 x 14.4 x 11.8 which is a large interior space that can support a single pet
- The cage has a ¼ bar spacing which ensures that even dwarf hamsters stay safe and secure
- The unit has a built-in connection cap in case you have multiple pets
Proc of Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Spacious enough
- ¼ bar spacing is ideal for dwarf hamsters
- Easy to maintain
Conc of Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Not suitable if you have more than 2 hamsters
Why We Recommend It
This hamster cage for sale from Ferplast is one of the best around at its price. The modular enclosure offers 2 levels to ensure that your furry friend finds places to explore. This is one of the best dwarf hamster cages that is escape-proof as long as the door stays closed.
Features That Make Lixit Animal Care Savic Stand Out
- When investing in a hamsters cage, you need one with adequate room for your little friend
- This cage doesn’t come cheap but makes up for it with added equipment and a lot of room to hang toys and other things to keep your hamsters’ life exciting
- The most interesting thing with the cage is its large size to ensure that your pet gets enough space to explore
- The bar spacing is also great as it keeps the dwarf monsters inside the cage and this is even better if you have an escape artist
- The metal grill loft is another excellent addition as it significantly increases the floor space in the cage
- Your hamster will get a private den that should offer the needed hiding
- The unit is great for owners who want to move around with their hamster as the cage contains a handle on top
Proc of Lixit Animal Care Savic
- Has a large floor space
- Has a narrow bar spacing
- Easy to clean
Conc of Lixit Animal Care Savic
- Included when is too small for larger hamsters
Why We Recommend It
If you’re looking for a simple design, this cage from Lixit is one of them with a lot of space for your hamster to roam around. The sturdy cage is made with allergy-friendly and high-quality material, and you can rest assured that it will offer a long-lasting service.
Features That Make Kaytee Multi-Level Habitat Stand Out
- Kaytee cage for small animals offer plenty of room for your hamster to roam around
- The large plastic cage can hold more than one hamster, and if they are not too large, the cage offers some modern perks such as wheels for easy movement
- The unit includes safety ramps, hammock, spiral slide, and 3 comfort shelves to ensure your hamster stays in a mansion
- The cage could have it all except for one niggling issue which is that the flooring area uses mesh instead of solid, but if you can make a few changes to the cage, you should enjoy the ample living space it offers
- The dimensions of the Kaytee cage is 24 x 24 x 41.5 inches which are enough for your hamster
- The cage features stain-resistant plastic parts that are very easy to access and clean
- For added entertainment, the cage comes with tubes, and tunnels which offer hideaways for your hamsters
Proc of Kaytee Multi-Level Habitat
- Multi-level cage
- Stain resistant plastic
- Easy to move around
- Large living space
Conc of Kaytee Multi-Level Habitat
- Might be difficult to assemble
Why We Recommend It
This multi-floor hamster cage features a quality construction material as well as chew proof. The large hamster cage Kaytee offers ample living space to keep your hamster happy. The unit is easy to clean and include multiple accessories to provide more amusement to your little friend.
Features That Make White Ferplast Hamster Cage Stand Out
- This version is slightly different from its black version as it includes several hamster cage tubes and tunnels for your hamster
- It comes with necessities like an exercise wheel, a food dish, water bottle, and a hideout
- The cage is easy to clean with a removable base and is easy to assemble
- Many customers enjoy the vast space that the hamster cage provides as their pets can find space to play
- The beautiful design should fit in any décor as it offers a great combination of colors without being too striking in the area
- The sizing is the most significant advantage you get with this cage with dimensions 11.61 x 14.76 which is enough space for one hamster
- If your hamster often likes to escape smaller cages, you are going to love this cage
Proc of White Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Offers large space
- Easy to clean
- Deep bottom tray to accommodate thick bedding
Conc of White Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Large hamsters may easily open the tube ports
Why We Recommend It
The addition of the tunnel system that joins the living area with the bedding compartment is a fantastic feature that most customers and pets seem to like. The cage has adequate ventilation and is easy to clean and maintain. The hamster cage for sale includes an ample space and lot of amazing features.
Hamsters are engaging and entertaining animals and can be an ideal first-time pet. By getting them a cage, you will be able to watch them play, run on their exercise wheel, or relaxing on their bedding.
When selecting the best cage for your hamster, find one that suits their needs. All the above hamster cages we have reviewed in this review are the best in the market, and you will not go wrong by choosing any of them.
You May Also Interested In:
- 6 Best Rated Hamster Wheels Reviews and Buying Guide
- 5 Best Hamster Bedding Reviews and Buying Guide
- 5 Best Hamster Foods & Treats (Reviews and Guide)
- 16 Best Hamster Toys Reviews and Ultimate Guide
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)